• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The RO2 "Work In Progress" Video/Image Thread - All Welcome!

I'm still here, sorry for the delay. Life got super duper busy and I haven't had a chance to work out why the map or any map for that matter won't cook.

I'll re-download the game today and see if that miraculously fixes it.
Gettin' there fella's. Lots of stuff to fill in yet. All my kismet works (so far) so I'm counting my blessings. I'll put a new thread tomorrow.
Still have overhead maps, MG's and arty to add so there are some big steps still left to conquer. Plus it's a big-ish map and my optimization has a way to go. Plan on 25 fps test sessions until I can figure out the combine static mesh tool. FWIW, my map won't be finalized until we get Pz. III's but I still hope to have it ready to play with existing armor for the Aug. 15th deadline.
Glad to see you're still working on it. Now I'm gonna see if I can get my SDK to work so I can try to come up with something as well :)

Upvote 0
Clown cars not welcome

Spoiler!

Didn't build lighting in those last 2 images. I intend to finish this up and release to anyone who wants to use it in their project, if anyone is brave enough to make it usable, by all means go ahead :)

Upvote 0
Clown cars not welcome

Spoiler!

Didn't build lighting in those last 2 images. I intend to finish this up and release to anyone who wants to use it in their project, if anyone is brave enough to make it usable, by all means go ahead :)
OMG! That's amazing! Great job! I really hope these can be properly implemented asap, because it would completely change the dynamics of the game.

Upvote 0
Yay, clown cars! Great work shadowwill :IS2:

I've got a question for you mappers: how hard is it to create a map? I have absolutely no knowledge of SDK, 3D and stuff like that, yet I have a bunch of ideas for maps that are begging to leave my head and become solid. How steep is the learning curve of working with the SDK and 3D modelling? Also, I've heard that 4GB of RAM isn't good enough for the SDK, is it true?

EDIT: Bah, never mind. Forgot about the sticky tread. Shouldn't have mixed booze and PC :D
But I'd still like to know if it is really impossible to run the SDK properly with only 4 gigs of RAM, which is below the minimum specs given by TWI.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nezzer I have two answers....

How hard is it to create a map ? Pictures say more then words....

This is me before I start working on a map !!

nickauger.jpg

This is me over a month later !

Ugly-Fat-People.jpg

Question 2

I did a lot with 4 gig. But at a certain moment its done and the editor will crash while building your map. Adding 12 gig will make life much easier and is really really worth the investment. I paid 39 euro for 8 gig and have 12 gig now. A cool side effect is that adding more memory to your computer will have a cool effect on aging. As you won't get old that fast anymore as you waste less time staring at your screen waiting for your computer to react.
Which give you more time for other things.

Upvote 0
>Nezzer: I also had zero experience with 3D modelling, UV mapping, UE3, etc. before the SDK came out and I found that watching the UDN video tutorials by 3D Buzz was an excellent way to get started with the SDK. You will definitely want to stick to using the assets provided by TWI to create your maps. I made the mistake as a beginner of choosing to build a sewer level with several seamless modular pieces. So long as you stick to urban-ish environments with your level design, TWI's assets should fit your need perfectly.

Upvote 0
Thanks. I think I'll give it a try. I suddenly started feeling the need of having a combined arms Gorlitz/Kriegstadt kind of map, and if nobody is going to do one I'll gladly work my *** out to make one. Few people are willing to make CA maps and I'd like to fill that blank :IS2:

And how much time did it use to take to crash when you guys still had 4GB? Was it unpredictable, like taking between a couple of minutes and an hour? And thanks for the link Nightingale.

Upvote 0
The crashing vary's between builds. For instance, I started with 8 gigs, and crash's would completely lock my rig up. Required hard reboot. Others say they can run on 4gigs, and others run with 8gigs just fine, with no hard crashing.

I upgraded to 32gigs. Runs perfect now. It only cost 150$ to get all 32gigs too. I've also learned what to not do, in order to help prevent crashing. There is a very fine, finesse involved with the SDK.

No Experience Needed. Experience will only make things go faster. And, if you worked steady, atleast 1 hour a day during week, and 4+ hours a day on weekends; I would guess after about 6 weeks, you will have a very tight grip on the sdk and will be doing just fine.
The toughest part about the SDK, is sticking with it. Don't give up.
There are plenty of us who are willing to help. It may take time to get a response, but stick with it.

That being said, here is my WIP. It can be found in the Level Design section of the forum. Link in my Sig...
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
The crashing vary's between builds. For instance, I started with 8 gigs, and crash's would completely lock my rig up. Required hard reboot. Others say they can run on 4gigs, and others run with 8gigs just fine, with no hard crashing.

I upgraded to 32gigs. Runs perfect now. It only cost 150$ to get all 32gigs too. I've also learned what to not do, in order to help prevent crashing. There is a very fine, finesse involved with the SDK.

No Experience Needed. Experience will only make things go faster. And, if you worked steady, atleast 1 hour a day during week, and 4+ hours a day on weekends; I would guess after about 6 weeks, you will have a very tight grip on the sdk and will be doing just fine.
The toughest part about the SDK, is sticking with it. Don't give up.
There are plenty of us who are willing to help. It may take time to get a response, but stick with it.

That being said, here is my WIP. It can be found in the Level Design section of the forum. Link in my Sig...
Spoiler!
That quick? I'm surprised. I'm broke at the moment so I can't upgrade my PC just yet. I'll check how the SDK runs here. I hope it doesn't crash that often, but I can't say I'm very lucky :p

Ah, and your maps is looking great. I just think the big building is standing out too much. Maybe you could tone down the lighting to make it look a bit darker like the others.

Upvote 0
The brightness is regards to the texture originating from a daylight picture, and the map being based at night. It's not the final texture, just a stop gap to get the rest of the map going. It's also going to be remodeled with significant damage. Same thing for the two large buildings in front of it. Didn't want to spend too much time in one spot, while neglecting the rest.

These tutorials are what helped me along...

http://www.worldofleveldesign.com/categories/cat_udk.php#simple-basic-environment

Upvote 0