• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The RO2 "Work In Progress" Video/Image Thread - All Welcome!

*Watches Wolverine's video*

sweetjesus.jpg

Upvote 0
Yeah, I think you're right about taking out some of the lights. A sewer in wartime, especially Stalingrad, should be dark and out-of-commission. This one looks too new.

I definitely know what you mean about the "start but never finish syndrome". It's a problem for me with these kinds of things. I switched over to working on this sewer map because I was really noticing the performance issues of running a huge forest map, and I didn't like that it wasn't actually a Stalingrad sort of battle. I thought a confined sewer setting would be easy on the slower machines. Hopefully I'm not lying to myself this time.

I would suggest using the oil lamps, little white hand lamps, flashlights, and flaming barrels as light sources in the sewers--like the tunnels in Mamayev or Pavlov's House basement, only darker.

Crates in a sewer are also odd... A couple matresses, ammo boxes, and crates might be appropriate for a spawn area, to indicate that the area is "lived in".

I'm also quite curious to see how the map might work with a large player count--the map would have to be either very extensive, or partially aboveground. Might make a killer countdown map.

The idea is a fantastic one, though! Good luck!

Upvote 0
Ok, so managed to get the weather to where I'm happy with it. This is my new map. long way to go, but it's a start.

"Counter Attack" Map contest entree. TE-Kriegszeit

WIP - TE-Kriegszeit

I have a few nits to pick about the way the thunder is done. It sounds a little too tinny and artificial to me.

What could be done is you could find a more bassy and rumbling sound, and maybe add a few seconds' delay after the lightning. I think that would contribute immensely to the mood.

Upvote 0
Thank for all the comments guys. ;)

@ Symmetry, actually i do have a bit of delay. But no worries , once the beta is released, I can always make changes trough community feed back. Also for files size purposes i recorded the sound in low quality for the video. Again no worries there, you'll jump out of your chair from the rumbling sounds in game. They might even be little too loud. I have 4 different thunder sounds set to fire off randomly.:D

@ tofupunk, TBH in the video i really hadn't done noting with the lighting. It was pretty much set-up that way just to test my passing clouds shadow reelection on the terrain. The lighting will be more settle in beta. And like i said before, we can always change it.;)

Upvote 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back to work on the Eagles Nest...some more images.

Back to work on the Eagles Nest...some more images.

So after being down for 3 months pc is back up and running...been working on the Eagles Nest and I think it's coming together quite nicely. At some point I will need some help when it comes to finalizing/sharing the map (not sure I quite have that piece down yet) and also some others to help test it. Just send me a PM if your interested....here you go!

https://plus.google.com/photos/108256305981086753098/albums/5756981895054628161?authkey=CP6v6_7ypsvnowE

Upvote 0
So after being down for 3 months pc is back up and running...been working on the Eagles Nest and I think it's coming together quite nicely. At some point I will need some help when it comes to finalizing/sharing the map (not sure I quite have that piece down yet) and also some others to help test it. Just send me a PM if your interested....here you go!

https://plus.google.com/photos/108256305981086753098/albums/5756981895054628161?authkey=CP6v6_7ypsvnowE

Be sure to announce testing! Would love to help out if I have the time, looks like an interesting map.

Upvote 0
Be sure to announce testing! Would love to help out if I have the time, looks like an interesting map.

Will do...I should be very close to testing in about 2 weeks but will need some help on the final prep of the files, clean up, and sharing. The first version will not include bots so it will just be real player friendly...I'll add bot capability at a later date.

Upvote 0
Thought I would put together a video overview of the almost completed Eagles Nest. The quality of the video could be better as it truly is not that dark when you are actually playing the map and there is much more ambient light and detail. Just so everyone knows this is my first time ever messing with this software (didn't have a clue) so any tips/support is always appreciated. I definitely will need help when it comes to finalizing the map for testing as I am getting some various error messages that I don't quite understand. Cheers! :D

http://youtu.be/Jxdqf2ejlhw

Upvote 0
Good video, shakenbake. I like how much consideration you have given to flanking routes and chokepoints in this map. It's nice to see a night time map that is actually dark.

One thing which stands out in the map, though, is how "pointy" the terrain is. Do you plan to increase the tesselation in the future? It's kinda jarring to look at, and looks like something taken out of a 2004 game. Also, the straight cliffs which stand in a square around the perimeter of the map are quite noticeable and seem unnatural. If you can afford to give up some performance, I would level some of those out and add a forest region that goes out into the distance with a spawn protection volume to stop troops from straying too far.

Overall though, the map has quite a lot of detail that isn't present in other custom maps, and the layout looks quite fun. I look forward to playing it. :)

Upvote 0