• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Red Orchestra 40,000

IG heroes will be Commissars, I think.
Warbosses for da orkz?

I feel Commissars will be more of a leader role as already found in RO2, but we don't know yet. Warbosses sound pretty difficult to make, and actually get working in the game (a kitted out warboss is going to be like a large vehicle, yet function as an infantry trooper mostly - awkward). We don't know. Personally, I'd like to think that we're more likely to have IG heroes as regular soldiers with a veteran look to them with e.g. bolters in place of rifles as their weapon. We don't know. For now, we're just looking for people to help us out, with virtually no progress save for a potential composer. All the talent on this forum seems to be wrapped up in many other projects. :confused:

Upvote 0
I feel Commissars will be more of a leader role as already found in RO2, but we don't know yet. Warbosses sound pretty difficult to make, and actually get working in the game (a kitted out warboss is going to be like a large vehicle, yet function as an infantry trooper mostly - awkward). We don't know. Personally, I'd like to think that we're more likely to have IG heroes as regular soldiers with a veteran look to them with e.g. bolters in place of rifles as their weapon. We don't know. For now, we're just looking for people to help us out, with virtually no progress save for a potential composer. All the talent on this forum seems to be wrapped up in many other projects. :confused:

I agree; a regular Commisar is more like an officer, so he would be fine for a leader role that RO games already implement. The veteran hero is a good idea, but I also think Catachans and/or Storm Troopers would be excellent for that hero role eventually. Well, eventually.

Would be awesome to see one or two of these guys on the battlefield:
xSSBp.jpg

UPBv4.jpg

I should probably ask first though; do you plan on sticking with a specific war or no? Can't remember if you already answered that question.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Oh, we're sticking to Armageddon. However, Armageddon contains arctic environments, equatorial jungles, mountain ranges, ash wastes, deserts, cities, stuff like that. :) We're going to concentrate on just a few of those for the first release, then see about expanding to more with appropiate models and retextures and such. So basically, the catachan jungle fighters ARE a possibility, but don't get your hopes up. :p

And stormtroopers will be featured, they're taking up the IG's assault trooper class with automatic weapons. :)

We do have ideas, but very little resources. For those curious, the mod is probably not going to be finished for a long time, probably way after Rising Storm, In Country: Vietnam, Iron Europe, etc. unless we get help.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Are you sure armageddon steel legion is the best one to go with? I mean wasn't it mainly imperials against orks. Just wondering how you're going to plan to implement that.

You might want to take a look at the Death korps of krieg instead as their uniforms are nearly the same and they didn't fight against xenos but instead rebels for more info http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Death_Korps_of_Krieg

But however this goes i'll support it.

Upvote 0
Are you sure armageddon steel legion is the best one to go with? I mean wasn't it mainly imperials against orks. Just wondering how you're going to plan to implement that.

You might want to take a look at the Death korps of krieg instead as their uniforms are nearly the same and they didn't fight against xenos but instead rebels for more info http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Death_Korps_of_Krieg

But however this goes i'll support it.

They want to have Ork vs IG, so it seems like a perfect choice.

Upvote 0
I used to collect Tau but i think these two are my favourite races.

Strange, I was just wishing that there could be a battlefieldesque style 40k game the other day. Anyway, My goal by the end of the year is to be competent at using the UDK map editor (which i have just started to learn) and then learn some basic 3D modelling. If and when I have learnt these, I would love to give a little help. BTW, when i start to model, should i be learning with blender?

I think it would be great if you released the mod in a basic (but functional) form and then added to it. You could just start with a few weapons, 1 or 2 maps and no vehicles.

May the :IS2: be with you!

Upvote 0
Hey Gibby/Headclot, have you made a thread here:[url]http://www.moddb.com/forum/board/recruiting-resumes[/URL] ?

Looks like a good spot to request help. I even noticed another Warhammer 40k mod in there, not sure what game it's for though.

there is one fps mod for half lfie 2 been in development for a good long while, very slow development. then theres an rts mod that shows more promise making much larger strides in a shorter time than the hl2 one is. both look pretty darn good though. :)

Upvote 0
I used to collect Tau but i think these two are my favourite races.

Strange, I was just wishing that there could be a battlefieldesque style 40k game the other day. Anyway, My goal by the end of the year is to be competent at using the UDK map editor (which i have just started to learn) and then learn some basic 3D modelling. If and when I have learnt these, I would love to give a little help. BTW, when i start to model, should i be learning with blender?

I think it would be great if you released the mod in a basic (but functional) form and then added to it. You could just start with a few weapons, 1 or 2 maps and no vehicles.

May the :IS2: be with you!

Yeah, a basic form release was one of our ideas. It's a bit less of a massive undertaking that way! And yes, I'm 99.9% sure that Blender is one piece of software to use - UDK supports it! And we're love it if you could help! :)

Hey Gibby/Headclot, have you made a thread here:[url]http://www.moddb.com/forum/board/recruiting-resumes[/URL] ?

Looks like a good spot to request help. I even noticed another Warhammer 40k mod in there, not sure what game it's for though.

We'll see about putting a shout out over there soon, thank you! :)

Reactions: Derpus
Upvote 0
By god....ive been wishing for the day of a warhammer 40k FPS that wasnt Fire Warrior...

BY THE EMPEROR MY PRAYERS HAVE BEEN HEARD!
(Hopefully theres more than just Orks and Imperial Guard...but I thank you for Imperial Guard and not boring mode SPHESS MAHREENS!)

BTW How do you plan on making orcs if there basically gonna be a really odd model...perhaps you can make imperial guard vs renegades or Blood Pact down the line?

Upvote 0
BTW How do you plan on making orcs if there basically gonna be a really odd model...perhaps you can make imperial guard vs renegades or Blood Pact down the line?

Orks aren't going to be that easy, but certainly doable. And it's better choice to have orks involved instead of just other humans, because if it were humans only, it'd just be vanilla RO2 with laz0rz. :eek:

Upvote 0
I hate it when people compare lasguns to flash lights, i mean they are weak as **** when you compare them to bolters, auto cannons or plasma guns.

But in the books for an example the lasguns are just as devastating as anything else, they disintegrate limbs after all. I could see a lucky shot from a las pistol killing a marine (you'd need to hit them in eyes ofcourse, from a close range and firing a more charged shot than normally. But it would still be a kill)

Upvote 0
has anyone asked you why you aren't making this mod with the UDK?

I mean, you won't be using any of the HoS assets, and surely your primarily trying to appeal to lovers of warhammer (potential players and modders) rather than HoS ?
Sure you'll find Warhammer fans who play hos, but they will try your mod in any case, and although hos owners may try it, they'll more likely spend time with the real life mods.

I just think most ppl away from these boards who want to get involved with your project will think 'why on earth have they chosen this game as a starting point?'

Sorry if this pisses of TWi, who obviously want as much mod interest as possible, (phaps this is a good enough reason for you guys) - i'm just giving my honest advice for what it's worth.

Upvote 0
has anyone asked you why you aren't making this mod with the UDK?

I mean, you won't be using any of the HoS assets, and surely your primarily trying to appeal to lovers of warhammer (potential players and modders) rather than HoS ?
Sure you'll find Warhammer fans who play hos, but they will try your mod in any case, and although hos owners may try it, they'll more likely spend time with the real life mods.

I just think most ppl away from these boards who want to get involved with your project will think 'why on earth have they chosen this game as a starting point?'

Sorry if this pisses of TWi, who obviously want as much mod interest as possible, (phaps this is a good enough reason for you guys) - i'm just giving my honest advice for what it's worth.

I'm pretty sure there's a lot he can adopt from the vanilla HOS game in terms of human stats and some weapons, and especially movement. The base game will be perfect to build upon and change up in my opinion, because while Warhammer 40k is set in a crazy futuristic universe, it is still done very realistically, just like HOS is.

The population will grow much larger when RO2 actually comes out, which will mean potential people already interested in both games like me, or even just people interested mainly in Warhammer.

Just as people bought Crysis solely to play Mechwarrior: Living Legends, it's entirely possible people will buy HOS mainly to play this mod if it comes out.

Also, more of an example with Crysis: the base gameplay didn't rely heavily on weapon stats, damage diffusion and penetration depending on the type of shot and strength of the armor (except maybe with that armor mode thing), and it definitely didn't have many, let alone one, advanced Mech walkers, yet look what they managed to do with that by modding. The point of modding is to change as much or as little as you want. Doesn't really matter if it still resembles the vanilla game or not. And with it you don't have to go and licence or even create an entire engine.

I hate it when people compare lasguns to flash lights, i mean they are weak as **** when you compare them to bolters, auto cannons or plasma guns.

But in the books for an example the lasguns are just as devastating as anything else, they disintegrate limbs after all. I could see a lucky shot from a las pistol killing a marine (you'd need to hit them in eyes ofcourse, from a close range and firing a more charged shot than normally. But it would still be a kill)

Well, it's just a joke. Lasgun volleys can kill pretty well, plus with the 7 variable damage settings you can go from harmless light to a 'purge-the-entire-clip' hotshot round which is mostly only trusted with snipers lore-wise. They usually aren't allowed to turn it up to full power for whatever reason; probably because if you overcharge an unused lasgun pack it turns into a makeshift grenade, and the resultant explosion is enough to crack the frontal armor of a Chaos Dreadnought. Dangerous, but pretty nifty considering every average joe infantryman is carrying that around.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure there's a lot he can adopt from the vanilla HOS game in terms of human stats and some weapons, and especially movement. The base game will be perfect to build upon and change up in my opinion, because while Warhammer 40k is set in a crazy futuristic universe, it is still done very realistically, just like HOS is.

This is pretty much it ^ RO2 provides the perfect base for this sort of mod!

Upvote 0