• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

In Country

Status
Not open for further replies.
Heh I am planning to try the new version because I played just the previous one. But I really want to see some gameplay trailer from ICV. I am very excited about it. I think it will be WAY BETTER than Unsung. Maybe it will not deliver the same tactical experience (very likely) but it will be one hell of a ride, I am sure about that.

Upvote 0
I'm wondering if helicopters would be apart of this mod? That would be amazing. Would be cool to re enact the Apocalypse Now scene!

I don't mod RO2 so I can't say but I'm fairly positive that it isn't possible to create or fly air vehicles in the game. Don't take my word for it though. It would be amazing to see in game. I do know that helicopters are in In Country but they've only shown the OH-6 which I'm guessing is basically air reconnaissance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I don't mod RO2 so I can't say but I'm fairly positive that it isn't possible to create or fly air vehicles in the game. Don't take my word for it though. It would be amazing to see in game. I do know that helicopters are in In Country but they've only shown the OH-6 which I'm guessing is basically air reconnaissance.

It's possible, there are a few UE3 games with air vehicles.

Upvote 0
I could imagine them being in game as some sort of spawn point. Coming in on a pre set route to land in an area, can't imagine them being pilot-able though.

Or as a certain type of artillery, ie rockets, a chopper comes over and blasts the area, would be pretty neat

I remember in Battlefield 1942 there we maps where you would spawn in a plane and it would go over a point and you would parachute out. Would be a nice feature on certain maps to have the US players spawn in helicopters that drops them off to a pre -determined spot at the start of a game.

Upvote 0
Saw something interesting in the server browser today... :cool:

Spoiler!

Upvote 0
A
Its a postgrad thesis from military school, and source code is available on request. It is however a decade old, but I assume the physics of flight haven't changed much in that time :)

The Physics Of Flight haven't changed much (or you could argue.. ever. :] ), but the Unreal Engine (and it's physics implementations) has changes very much since that paper was written in 2002. I'd probably guess it'd be actually easier to implement the same level of flight (which the paper indicates was a 3p 'realism' circa 2002) on modern UE implementations.
(this is more a comment about code-reuse)

Upvote 0
I am hoping to see a scene similar to -

- the church scene from Platoon
- the last night battle from Platoon
- the base defend scenario from Platoon Leader
- the epic defense from the whole We Were Soldiers
- the attack on Hill 137 from Battle of Hamburger Kill

if we get maps that are representing those scenarios in some ways this will be the best Vietnam war mod ever made!

Upvote 0
I am hoping to see a scene similar to -

- the church scene from Platoon
- the last night battle from Platoon
- the base defend scenario from Platoon Leader
- the epic defense from the whole We Were Soldiers
- the attack on Hill 137 from Battle of Hamburger Kill

if we get maps that are representing those scenarios in some ways this will be the best Vietnam war mod ever made!

A remote quiet village in the Central Highlands, 1968

It is almost too quiet and the squad is on high alert as we move in to check things out. The only sound is that of the chickens and emaciated cows pleading for food. Just as our point man makes it to the village well, Charlie opens up with an RPK and our point is dead before he hears the gunfire. We hit the ground and go into full pucker mode. The 60 opens up for suppression as my Platoon leader calls in for a Napalm strike, Danger Close. Fast movers are overhead before we know it and an all out VC BBQ is on. Our Dustoff is inbound for the wounded and we load up half our men . I am in a jungle Hell....

Upvote 0
oooh, Vietnam related monologues :D

Am I allowed to offer:

"I was going to the worst place in the world and I didn't even know it yet. Weeks away and hundreds of miles up a river that snaked through the war like a main circuit cable plugged straight into Kurtz. It was no accident that I got to be the caretaker of Colonel Walter E. Kurtz's memory any more than being back in Saigon was an accident. There is no way to tell his story without telling my own. And if his story really is a confession, then so is mine."

and:

"My name is Steve R. Hawkins, intelligence Sergeant. When I first arrived in Vietnam I got stuck in the rear for three boring weeks, serving as an instructor for the Vietnamese Special Forces at Nha Trang.

Not bad duty really, but incredibly boring. Now, with that behind me I'm on the way to Nui Pek, a hot camp up in Central Highlands, and a chance to see some action... Finally!"

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.