• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Iron Europe: 1914-1916

they didnt.

The Winchester Model 1895 was seen in accepable amounts, the Winchester Model 1907 was also seen, if extremely rare.

And even if they did we are not doing the rarest of the rare things for now.

That i can understand.

How about the Martini-Enfield/Martini-Henry? Hundreds of thousands of these were made and used.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Probably both, but you can be sure that we will use the system which is currently in use by RO2.

And about the Henry-Martini or other "rare" rifles, we are not doing those simply because we want to bring in the most common and front line issued weapons into the game first. Which means a rifle, a pistol (or two if TWI adds the P08), a sniper rifle, a static machine gun, for each side, and the Lewis gun for the Tommys. If we have those in game and everybody can play with them, we will think about more rare stuff.

First the basics.

But keep in mind that we are doing only the time frame from 1914 to 1916 so stuff like the MP18, the 08/15 light machine gun or even flame throwers have to wait.

Upvote 0
Probably both, but you can be sure that we will use the system which is currently in use by RO2.

And about the Henry-Martini or other "rare" rifles, we are not doing those simply because we want to bring in the most common and front line issued weapons into the game first. Which means a rifle, a pistol (or two if TWI adds the P08), a sniper rifle, a static machine gun, for each side, and the Lewis gun for the Tommys. If we have those in game and everybody can play with them, we will think about more rare stuff.

First the basics.

But keep in mind that we are doing only the time frame from 1914 to 1916 so stuff like the MP18, the 08/15 light machine gun or even flame throwers have to wait.
Too bad that heavy mg will be static but i can live with that
and will you release some pictures/videos soon?

Upvote 0
And about the Henry-Martini or other "rare" rifles, we are not doing those simply because we want to bring in the most common and front line issued weapons into the game first.

Though that might be a bit repetive with only bolt-action rifles in the game.

Frankly, i encourage all your choices, as i really look forward to this mod, i know one has to priorize.

Upvote 0
welcome to ww1, sorry it doesn't entertain you enough

Lol, i was asking about less useful weapons that saw service. If i wanted an MP 18 you could complain.

It's like saying to someone who wants an G41/43 or SVT 40 in WWII that he does not like WWII games. If bolt-action rifles were indeed the only infantry weapons used, i would want nothing else. It's a matter of utilizing the weapons available at the time.

Besides, when did i ever complain? I specifically pointed out i highly looked forward to the game and appreciated the team's efforts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
And i have another question will the maps be only typical ww1 trench maps or we can expect something different too?

Expect variety!

And I don't know how "only" (don't forget pistols, melee weapons and grenades) bolt action rifles are considered boring, I think the rifles are one of the best parts in RO.

Upvote 0
I'm really looking forward to this. Bolt-actions have always been my favourite from any game so this suits me! haha.

Don't get me wrong, i would have liked a Martini-Henry as it's my favourite rifle of all time but i know this will still be awesome without it.

Really excited to getting my hands on a Lee-Enfield.

Out of curiosity, what variation of weapons WILL we be seeing? Ross rifles? Pattern 1914 Enfield? Lee-Metford? I think these were all in use by the BEF and commonwealth countries. I'm no expert though, my knowledge lies in 19th century warfare. So forgive my ignorance.

Upvote 0
Out of curiosity, what variation of weapons WILL we be seeing? Ross rifles? Pattern 1914 Enfield? Lee-Metford? I think these were all in use by the BEF and commonwealth countries. I'm no expert though, my knowledge lies in 19th century warfare. So forgive my ignorance.

Read one of my Weapon Descriptions I wrote for the Iron Europe Mod; it needed a long introduction only because it is such a famous weapon:

SMLE No.1 Mk.III:

Copyright 2010, Gamburd USA:

Called the "workhorse of the British Army", the Short Magazine Lee-Enfield ("SMLE") No.1 Mk. III was the standard issued bolt action rifle of British, British Empire, Dominion, and Commonwealth troops during the First World War, and was manufactured by the millions.

The rifle holds 10 rounds of .303 ammunition, comprised of two 5-round charger clips. The SMLE is reknowned for its durability and smooth, fast firing bolt action.

The origin of the rifle began during the South African Boer War (1899-1902), when the Magazine Lee-Enfield ("MLE") rifles then in service in the British Army were found to be inferior to the Mauser Model 95 rifles used by the Boer forces.

The main drawbacks to the MLE were it’s lack of accuracy and the need for it to be loaded one round at a time.

Its Mauser opponent meanwhile was accurate and could be quickly reloaded with stripper clips; even before the Boer War had ended the British military had begun development of a new rifle.

Introduced on 1 January 1904, as the “Rifle, Short, Magazine, Lee-Enfield Mark 1”, the new rifle put into practice all of the lessons learned during the Boer War and more.

Through small refinements and modifications, the SMLE No. 1 Mk. III was introduced in 1907. Adapted to fire the new Mark VII High Velocity spitzer .303 ammunition and holding ten .303 rounds, the most notable feature of the gun was it’s extremely fast bolt cycling action.

The effectiveness of the new rifle’s action was demonstrated during the very first engagement of British and German forces during the First World War at the Battle of Mons, in Belgium, on 23 August 1914. Here British troops, outnumbered more than 2 to 1, were effectively able to halt the German advance utilizing the “Mad Minute” technique of rifle fire.

Historically, it was perfectly feasible for a British Expeditionary Force professional soldier who was trained in marksmenship to be able to fire 15 rounds of concentrated rapid fire each minute from his SMLE rifle. That is just four seconds to aim, fire and cycle the bolt for the next shot.

British troops decimated the attacking German columns at Mons; the effectiveness of their firing convinced the German soldiers that the British troops were heavily armed with machine guns, when in fact they were only armed with SMLE No.1 Mk. III rifles.

A slightly redesigned version of the rifle, the SMLE No. 1 Mk. III* (distinguished in name from its predecessor by an asterisk), changed to help ease mass production, saw service for three decades in the British Army through the end of the Second World War in 1945.

The Lee-Enfield was one of the most mass produced military rifles ever in the history of firearms; it is estimated a total of 17 million Lee-Enfield rifles of all Lee-Enfield designs were manufactured between 1895 and the 1980's.

Over one hundred years later, the SMLE is still used in many military conflicts, especially in Africa, the Middle East, and Asia, and it is reported to be the preferred rifle used by Taliban snipers in the current war in Afghanistan.

Visit Iron Europe:

[URL]http://www.ironeuropegame.com/forum/index.php[/URL]

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just wanted to make a quick suggestion about some map/level ideas I've been having. The first reaction of most people when they hear WW1 FPS is, "Trenches, how will that be fun?" But I think with some creative liberties taken, you could easily make some maps that have a variety of engagement ranges and fighting styles.

For example, possibly include tunnel combat with competing groups of engineers attempting to either detonate or prevent the detonation of explosives underneath the trenches. All the while there are rifleman fighting in the trenches above. When the charge is finally detonated the attackers can then rush the first trench and get into closer combat/melee combat. Think Battle of Mesinnes, but on a smaller scale.

Also, the content you have looks good!

Upvote 0
Just wanted to make a quick suggestion about some map/level ideas I've been having. The first reaction of most people when they hear WW1 FPS is, "Trenches, how will that be fun?" But I think with some creative liberties taken, you could easily make some maps that have a variety of engagement ranges and fighting styles.

For example, possibly include tunnel combat with competing groups of engineers attempting to either detonate or prevent the detonation of explosives underneath the trenches. All the while there are rifleman fighting in the trenches above. When the charge is finally detonated the attackers can then rush the first trench and get into closer combat/melee combat. Think Battle of Mesinnes, but on a smaller scale.

Also, the content you have looks good!
Great idea! it could be the main objective for engineers and regular infantry get their own objective

Upvote 0