• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[wip] lcvp

Twrecks

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 28, 2011
Ventura, California
I've had interest by a few individuals to work on this project.

1st, let me say "THANKS!" :)

Here's the reference pic I started with, its the main LCVP used by the Coast Guard and Navy. 2 or more were on every LST (Landing Ship, Tank. Affectionately known as Large Slow Targets). The Marine LCVP had 2x 30 cal gun wells aft, rarely, if ever actually used. Again, this is not the Marine version:

LCVP05.jpg

Let me explain the file...

It's a 2011 3dsMax file, some stuff may be grouped and will need to be ungrouped to work on.

After ungrouping, there are 41 various LOD and hi-poly models, plus 18 collision models.

LCVP06.jpg

All bits will have a hi-poly model for extracting a normal map, plus at least a LOD0. Some bits are designed to drop out at higher LODs so no model is listed or was made. The number at the end of the file names are that model's polycount.

Regarding textures:
LOD0 and LOD1 should share the same UV texture map. In-game the normal map will be suppressed for LOD1. LOD2 and LOD3 should also share a UV texture map. The view distance settings for the various LODs will be done in the SDK. UCX files are for collision only, and do not need UV mapping.

Suggestion:
Start with the Door. It's the easiest IMO, and will be it's own mesh anyways, and have its own textures. The "Kisby", or life preserver ring could also be on its own, and probably should be.

Next:
When all the tid bits are mapped, they can be attached to the main model for importing into the SDK. Do not save the file after attaching, you may need the un-attached version down the road and it will be a PITA to separate. There will be a few things to do in Max before exporting as a FBX so the LODs import properly. Of course they can also be imported separately so no worries.

Didn't forget:
There are no "Damaged" models. After all is done, it will be far simpler to morph the models and throw another texture in the Material slot.

Here's a pic of the hi-poly model:

LCVP04.jpg

My Father in-law, George Patrick Bressler, piloted this type of LCVP and also LCM3's for the navy during landings in both theaters. He served on the USS Biddle and was on her when she initially left San Francisco in 41 til returning to the bay in 45. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USS_William_P._Biddle_(APA-8), He continued to serve until Honorably discharged after being injured in Korea.

Last edited:
I'm too thinking of a D-Day map.
Like four bunkers with two or three stationary mg's. The Americans get 2000 reinforcements against 500 Germans. They also get naval barrage every 2 min.
I'd spawn the Americans in landing boats too until the beach bunkers are taken. :)

A true orchestra of chaos.

The idea of having four different maps for the beach landings would be good for the campaign. However campaigns would start with Americans starting without any territory in France to be realistic. And this time having reverse maps would be excellent.

Upvote 0