• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Heroes of the West (Western Front mod)

Raven1986;n2282666 said:
Feedback on Hill-400:

Hill400 is a classic for the Western Front. However, the bunkers are a joke. German fortifications especially larger ones prevented the enemy from strolling in there as they pleased. Walking away from the spawn and getting banged by a Yank just few meters away from the actual spawn inside the underground bunker complex is a sad joke, if at all. German bunker entrances were always safe guarded by at least one stationary machine gun behind a narrow firing slot. No easy "fire in the hole!" for the Yanks.
Just google "WW2 German Bunker Design" and you get great sketches with dimensions. You really need to rework this map.

Feedback on Carentan:

Carentan is an older map just like Hill-400. My issue with this map is the little amount of windows you may use. Germans/Americans exactly know behind which window you are standing. Not good at all. Open up more rooms and windows for more intense house to house fighting. Also increase the ticket count for a more prolonged battle.

Feedback on Caen Outskirts:

The map is still a huge jerk to me. The longest time I was capable of running it did not exceed 5 mins. It always crashes. Possibly it's the RAM overflow, which is caused by the 32-bit bottleneck.

Feedback on Foy:

I do not know whether there yet has been a hot fix or not. However Americans are making good progress on the map now, at least most of the times.

Oh and something in general: The excessive use of the Sherman tank is nice but Germans need AT weapons. It's no longer 1942, it's mid-1944 to early 1945. Germans had Panzerfaust and Panzerschreck in their arsenal. Remember the US Bazooka was modeled after the German Panzerschreck. So it would be good to have this available.
Otherwise we need mobile AT guns, the Germans can push around and destroy the Shermans.

In terms of win/loss ratios for hill400 it seems pretty alright. It's just that when the americans lose they get stomped on the first 3 cap zones. If they lose on the last two it's usually been a good fight through the whole thing. Most attacking losses occur at C or because a significant amount of time was spent at C. Americans can sneak into the trenches but I only see this with a low population.

Carentan got some windows closed which tbh I didn't agree with either. But it probably has balanced the map out a bit. Even if I would have liked a few more building to building skirmishes.

Caen outskirts does have a memory issue. Texture settings from uktra down to high Will stop it. And it only happens with a few people as well like I can run it on ultra fine provided I don't swap teams. Swapping teams seems to load all voices again which spikes memory. Since the texture memory is already high it goes over the limit.

Foy is looking good now. Like there's only one balance thing I can think of for it and the mapper already knows. Which is the D cap zone after D and C are already called. The germans can hole up in there with an SL and defend from almost 100m in front of the next cap zones. With it being quite hard for the Americans to get there due to no spawn on the right flank.

On German AT it would have been in this patch. But the animator had final exams. Literally the last art thing holding it back lol. Panzershreck that is. But Once it's in shermans gotta run. They'll probably only get 2 rockets instead of 4. Since it will penatrate 99% of the time and deal even more damage than a bazooka. I'm hoping to balance it in a way where the first shot will severly cripple the sherman and the 2nd shot kill it. So crew dead and damaged internals. Which effectively stuns it, probably damages the engine or transmission and maybe even the turret in some way.

Upvote 0
This is great news! I've been waiting on the Panzerschreck since like forever.

Foy indeed plays nicely now. I recorded gameplay of it. Will upload later on.
However there is one thing I'd hand in: Oosterbek. I'd love to see a second windmill on the right/left of the farm which could be occupied by Axis for more suppressive options. Also the grain mound in the windmill it should not block nades. When playing Oosterbek tonight there where 6 British in there and none of them took damage from any nade thrown in there. Highly frustrating as getting into the mill is a key event in taking that farm.

Upvote 0
Folks, you need to re-balance Oosterbek. I know the map has been with the mod for quite some time but it's a disaster. Especially taking the hotel is a total mess. Germans constantly get caught in crossfire from the Oosterbek farm (Delta). There is no reason why the British should be allowed to be there. Either Germans can outflank them via the farm or Brits don't need to be there either. Period.
The British also need way longer running paths to Charlie. You murder ten and 15 are already back, fully equipped.

I've played this map 5 times today and it was the same **** each time. Germans got stuck for over ten minutes on taking Charlie. Finally after an age we took it. Why? We started spawn killing the British. Currently Oosterbek feels like the Apartments version of HoTW. Except it's the defenders who get the ludicrous bonus. I've played Brits once on Oosterbek, I can't do it again. Otherwise I can't look me in the eyes anymore. Not until this map is balanced.

Upvote 0
Considering it hasn't been touched balance wise in about 6 months and the germans have won the map or at least got further than C quite a lot so I don't think there is an issue with the map itself.

You also have to remember. The steam sale only just ended today. So LOADS of new players. For the past 2 weeks almost.

Arty behind C usually works with a good amount of flanking and a coordinated charge with the artillery. If they prove difficiult to dislodge. Plus it's been a long time since I've seen anyone blow the basement door. Even if you can't make it in the basement more and more british enter it to defend it. But the basement isn't the cap zone and what the british end up doing is trapping themselves in there. The germans holding the ground floor is all that's needed.

Reactions: nymets1104
Upvote 0
North Dumpling you need to check back on Foy. Played tonight, and weird things happened. Yanks took Alpha then rushed in as deep as Delta building. No spawn protection hindering. Slaughtering Germans directly in the spawn. I stopped them by warning to issue temp bans if they didn't stop. So Yanks moved on into the Charlie building. Constantly respawning on at least one squad leader. Again no spawn protection. Bravo was not taken by that time. Ultimately the Americans ran out of tickets. Yet their spawn protection was still active and we were stuck for several minutes as the cowards chose to hide deep in their spawn protection zones.

Upvote 0
I have no clue what is going on, I downloaded the game and for some reason I cant launch it from the icon I have on the desktop. I guess its fine because I read up on this and for some reason other people have problems but should be ok to join a server trough RO2 servers as long as you choose HOW server, well I tried to join HOW server and is downloading map very very slow........ So what gives? didn't downloading the game came with the maps? why is it downloading maps? I had this problem before, deleted the game and installed just now.... map downloading when entering server.... didn't came here to bash, just wondering why this is happening?

Upvote 0
SolitarioSoldat;n2283092 said:
I have no clue what is going on, I downloaded the game and for some reason I cant launch it from the icon I have on the desktop. I guess its fine because I read up on this and for some reason other people have problems but should be ok to join a server trough RO2 servers as long as you choose HOW server, well I tried to join HOW server and is downloading map very very slow........ So what gives? didn't downloading the game came with the maps? why is it downloading maps? I had this problem before, deleted the game and installed just now.... map downloading when entering server.... didn't came here to bash, just wondering why this is happening?

http://steamcommunity.com/app/440090/discussions/0/351659704039244393/ You'll get a disconnect error when it does finish downloading. That thread details why its doing it.

Upvote 0
I decided to tune down my graphics from ultra to high and voilà I can play Caen Outskirts. However I already dislike the map. What the hell were you folks thinking by having the British spawn protection zone starting right behind the Bloodbath bridge? Their entire squad leaders holed up just 15meters from the capzone and we had no hope of reaching them. The result was an endless stream of British ever newly equipped with nades. British did not need any arty, they had enough nades.

You need to change this. It's just like Pavlov's shitty spz's in which the Soviets may park their tank so no engineer may reach it.

Upvote 0
No Title

This sums up my Opinion exactly. Where are the German Voices ? I really cannot understand why they havent been added already to the Mod. Its not like you got nobody Recording you some Voice Lines cause Raven did that in the Past. So when do we get finally new german Voice Lines ?

Attachments

• photo18133.jpg
    photo18133.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Well, I could easily record them anew within a sound box now. However the main reason against it is the RAM overflow which is incredibly present in HotW anyways. Maps iike Caen Outskirts cannot be played on Ultra graphics without causing RAM overflow and thus the game to crash. It's the awesome 32-bit bottleneck. Already back in 2011 the technology trending to 64-bit was obvious. I remember community members urging TWI to go 64-bit. But no, we stay 32-bit. Chvialry Medieval Warfare went 64-bit was they noticed the RAM Overflow on some maps themselves. The result? I can play @ 3840x2160 with Ultra Settings at stable 60 fps. No RAM Overflow, no crashing. It was possible for TWI to do this also. Gamng PCs are not the Gaming PCs from the late 90's anymore. They are mighty war beasts with Quad or even Octa Cores, 16, 32 or even 64 GB RAM and GPUs of 4 to 12 GB, some even going nuts and having 24GB using SLI. RO2 uses 3.5 GB RAM total, meaning your kick ass machine is not used at all. It's like driving on the parking lot of Walmart during Shopping Rush Hours. You can't go 320 km/h on this parking lot. Same for your machine and RO2.
Now back to the voices. With Ultra graphics the British voices already cause RAM Overflow. I handed in a voice package of 500 MB. Can you imagine how this would work? Not on 32-bit. We might have a chance IF RS2 is going 64-bit and adopts RO2/RS and HotW as mods. Then I'd be willing to record voices again, as then the technical issues are past. But not now with no chance of implementation even if they had BF1 quality.

Now however I do want a different explanation:
How ****ing weak is the Bazooka?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bl3dW2CNfG0&feature=youtu.be

A rare case of me actually being able to pick up a Bazooka as a German. Normally the Bazooka plays a pick up sound and then vanishes into oblivion. I never have it in my pick up. Which is insane BS as often it would be the means to take out the enemy Sherman. Yet the game cheats me each time.
This time I was able to place two rockets on the side of the Sherman with no effect at all. The last two were miss-fired. But the first two should have cracked this tincan wide open.

Upvote 0
Feedback on Foy again, it seems like the hedges and bushes in between the American spawn and the fields do not exist for the majority of German players. Either this lot is cheating the **** out of the graphics settings or the draw distance is inaccurate. I would urge you do check two things additionally: Americans can run into the German spawns before either Alpha or Bravo is capped. Not funny :/ Secondly you might add a few more resupply stashes for more smokes at the beginning.

Upvote 0
Feedback on Oosterbek again: You already said it does not need changing. Well, if it's okay for the British to stay at Bravo house and respawn there even after its capture. So they can easily shoot the Germans in the back and return there at any given time. The map is broken and does not need to be in the map rooster. We threw Apartments from our servers for the same reason: Horribly imbalanced and just gross to play for defenders at most times. Yes, Apartments can be won by defenders but it's 5 games in 100.

Upvote 0
Raven1986;n2283665 said:
Feedback on Oosterbek again: You already said it does not need changing. Well, if it's okay for the British to stay at Bravo house and respawn there even after its capture. So they can easily shoot the Germans in the back and return there at any given time. The map is broken and does not need to be in the map rooster. We threw Apartments from our servers for the same reason: Horribly imbalanced and just gross to play for defenders at most times. Yes, Apartments can be won by defenders but it's 5 games in 100.

I would love to see that.

But I can't.

When you think about it. Your server might even be harming the balance of the mod. Due to one of your members losing their cool.

Upvote 0
Raven1986;n2283665 said:

Not sure who told you it did not need changing. We are constantly taking in feedback from all sources and making small changes, balances, and tweaks when we see fit. I have heard that B is often hard for Axis to cap on Oosterbeek, but this is the first I have heard that the map is "broken" and needs to be removed. I watch nearly all of your videos and read your comments and feedback which are always appreciated. Even if we don't push out a hotfix every time you find a bug, know that we are not ignoring you :)

I would also highly implore you to work with your server admins to restore access back to all members of our small mod team. This could certainly help streamline improvements and gather community feedback easier.

Upvote 0