• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Heroes of the West (Western Front mod)

Raven1986;n2266167 said:
I just noticed Bandicam can't record HotW.

Yes It can. I use it it's awesome. heroes of the west is actually red orchestra 2 as far as Bandicam or any screen recorder is conerned. ROGame.exe.

Are you trying to record the launcher or something? As that's all heroes of the west technically is.

What's it trying to hook into?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Is there any chance roles can be renamed in the game? It'd be cool to have something else than ''Elite Assault'' or such, something that relates to the warring faction. I'm personally thinking divisions is the best thing to use as dividers, as they are something that really focus on one thing. Examples would be an Engineer Corps for the US. Adding onto that, taking it to the next step is to have more personalized skins matching those divisions/roles. The suggestion I'm proposing can remain as elementary as just renaming the roles though.

Upvote 0
institute;n2266255 said:
Is there any chance roles can be renamed in the game? It'd be cool to have something else than ''Elite Assault'' or such, something that relates to the warring faction. I'm personally thinking divisions is the best thing to use as dividers, as they are something that really focus on one thing. Examples would be an Engineer Corps for the US. Adding onto that, taking it to the next step is to have more personalized skins matching those divisions/roles. The suggestion I'm proposing can remain as elementary as just renaming the roles though.

It's all on the platoon level and all well within the same division. So renaming roles would be a bit pointless and they certainly wouldn't be dressed any differently than anyone else.

Upvote 0
institute;n2266255 said:

You can rename roles to whatever you want by going to C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\ROGame\Localization\INT
and from there use notepad to open ROGame.int (for ROHOS), RSGame.int (for RS) and WFGame.int (for HotW).

If your game is in another language (mine is in Russian) then you will need to go to the relevant folder i.e C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Red Orchestra 2\ROGame\Localization\RUS and from there edit the same files.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
So, I'm back again. It seems a year went by without me noticing and I haven't done anything with the voices because it seemed (back then) either HOTW was at a standstill or my voices weren't needed because TWI supplied replacements. Can't really blame you if you don't want them, I gave it my best shot but I'm not an actor and my "studio" was a bunch of pillows and blankets set up to muffle reverb in a brick room. Lemonater, you don't still need those voices correct? I've felt pretty bad about not getting them to you but like I said it seemed like you didn't need them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A small feedback to Bocage.
First off, nice atmospheric map, I also like the new tanks both German and American.
Now with the tanks comes a negative. The Americans are equipped with Bazookas whilst the Germans do not have the Panzerfaust nor the Panzerschreck. Both were available in good quantities in the summer of 1944. I was able to pilfer a Bazooka from time to time and greatly annoyed the American team with it. Would be good to have a rocket AT weapon by default.
Next thing I noticed is the hedge meshes themselves. I noticed that sometimes you can't shoot past them eventhough there is clearly nothing in your way. Maybe the hitbox of the hedge mesh is too big? Maybe you can take a look into it.

Keep up the great work! :)

Upvote 0
There were rather a lot of things between Normandy and the Elbe river. Only about 7% of allied tanks from 1944 were taken out of the war by Infantry HEAT weapons. That includes AT grenades. 13% of allied tanks in the same period were taken out due to non combat reasons like breaking down, crashing, getting stuck etc. Just over 50% of allied tank losses were due to other tanks and AT guns.

Upvote 0
So you'll get AT guns into the game? The trouble with infantry vs tanks was already present in RO2 vanilla. You'd be gunned down by tanks despite walking by several AT guns with full ammo crates aside. But don't you think it's a bit imbalanced to have Americans shoot German tanks half across the map, whilst Germans need to rush up close with an AT grenade?

Upvote 0
Some feedback to Omaha Beach. After playing this map for several times as both German and Allied, I felt to write a review and possible improvements.

1. The Bunker on H8 is a neat position, however it can only be reached by running past the Americans down at the beach. It would feel proper to actually be able to access the terrain of the left hill and run there far away from American bullets.
2. The left hill needs to be accessible. It allows for a save route to the bunker as previously mentioned. And it also allows for a good flanking route to the Americans as currently they are tunneled when attacking Delta.
Furthermore the hill also allows for crossfiring onto the right hill. Allowing for more defensive and offensive opportunities.
3. The white house to the right of the Ferme Normandie objective on E4 would provide both Germans and Americans with an ideal flanking position to cut off reinforcements. Yet you can't enter it, which feels uncomfortable. You should be able to get in there.
4. A lot of buildings in the village can not be entered albeit they would provide firing positions and cover, particularly for the advancing Americans.
5. A general problem shared by ALL buildings is the obligatory light bulb in every room. It's unrealistic as hell you would keep the light on if you were to use the windows to open fire on the enemy. Your body creates a perfect silhouette thanks to the light behind you. Turn them off or make them destructible so the players can shoot them out.

Upvote 0