• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Heroes of the West (Western Front mod)

Moskeeto;n104115 said:
Introducing:
rYaEpBq.png

Our ModDB page!

DOWNLOAD THE BETA (V5) HERE!(this build is ready for online) (new as of February 27, 2015)

STEAM WORKSHOP LINK

Important info for map makers

Our Steam Group

Commander Shepard and I have been hard at work to bring you what everyone has been wanting: a Western Front mod!

Features include:
- New Maps!!!
- Americans vs Germans
- Updated UI to reflect changes
- New American uniforms: Airborne and Rangers
- American helmets with nets!
- New victory music for both factions

What needs work:
- MAPS MAPS MAPS! (please help here if you can)
- New weapons (G43 and STG are vital)
- Voices (Germans and Americans refer to each other as the wrong faction)
- New German uniforms
- Vehicles! (Americans will need them desperately)

We are looking for help! We need mappers and 3D artists/animators!
Add me on Steam if you're willing to help out: http://steamcommunity.com/profiles/76561198025051816/

Me and many others noticed this today (again). It's not like you did not receive any support from the community concerning this matter. You received actually a topset of support. People recorded stuff, never asked you for money and in the end it's still Japanese and Russians fighting each other by the battle chatter. The mod is up and running stable. We got maps for it, yet this maps can be as atmospheric as can be, when you hear "Die Bolshevik!", the immersion is done for.
You received my nearly 400MB strong voice package ages ago after pushing me to finish on time. Now add it.

Upvote 0
The British voices are no better than my recordings, still they made it in. Why? Immersion. It would be bad to have British paratroopers sound like Texan Cowboys, no? The very same goes for the Germans. It's an immersion kiiller to hear them refering to the Soviets and not the Americans. This is the reason why I want correct German audio in the mod: I've a 4K beasty machine, been playing many hours of HoW. I played Omaha twice today and each time I shot a Ranger at over 200m I wished to hear "Die American!" or "Yankee bastard down!", yet it was "Die Ivan!", "I got the Russian!" or "Bolshevik down!" I want correct audio, just like RO2 and RS have it.

Yep, 400MB. You demanded HD audio thus I recorded them in HD quality. That's why the package is this big. You can strip down a 1/3 as it's the tank voices, which are not necessarily needed.

Upvote 0
Well, first off, congrats on getting endorsed by Tripwire. Pretty sweet! I like all the work you guys have done.

Now I just want to say, come on guys, put in the voices. Raven is correct with all the points he made with immersion and other stuff he has said. He also worked hard to record all the lines. More importantly you guys asked for a German Voice actor. You got one and you guys thought he was good enough, so you brought him on board. Now you guys change your mind? That said it's your mod. but still come guys. Best wishes
The Count

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Because that's what happens with game development. Things change. We raised our standards. We don't just take everything people give us. I've had to say no to quite a few people and yes it's hard saying no. Things have changed a lot since 2014.

We've decided to go for the audio quality. We can live with them saying Bolshevik every now and again and as evidenced by the community so can they. If we can get someone who can deliver the same quality as the American lines, the same quality as the British lines then we'll consider it. Don't lie to yourself raven please. They are not the same quality. Those lines were recorded in a studio, by real actors with a real audio engineer. But until that time it's much better for all parties involved if we kept it as is. I'm sorry. But that's the way it has to be.

If we add your voices and if people find out it was you who did those recordings don't expect praise. Expect the opposite.

If you really want to hear yourself in game I can give you the package of your voice and all you would have to do is replace it in your files. You will still be able to join servers but it's likely you will have to rejoin the server every map change.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If there is technical issues (like there was for IOM because of the 32bits limitations) in HOTW mod, that disallow adding a full lang package, maybe some kind of compromise can be done and maybe HOTW mod team can replace the problematic lines only with some mutator/code magic? This way, the mod will not crash because memory usage will not saturate, and the immersion breaking lines will not be eard. Is this possible?

Upvote 0
®omano;n2265270 said:
If there is technical issues (like there was for IOM because of the 32bits limitations) in HOTW mod, that disallow adding a full lang package, maybe some kind of compromise can be done and maybe HOTW mod team can replace the problematic lines only with some mutator/code magic? This way, the mod will not crash because memory usage will not saturate, and the immersion breaking lines will not be eard. Is this possible?

Yeah, I really don't see why this can't be done, if worst comes to worse, and it somehow cannot be done coding wise, you could just combine/remove and alter the the two .upk's into one, removing the problematic lines with Raven's.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2265328 said:
So less voices or voices that change person for certain lines?

Yeah that's professional looking lol.

Tripwire did it for the Japanese, why can't you do it for the Germans?

Seriously, this whole "professionalism" is just utterly ubsurd. You're not being paid, you don't have coworkers who are being paid to be a 100% reliable source of content. We're modders, we take what we can get our hands on. Especially in this community.

If the stuff they make is 100% garbage (fuzzy, lots of background reverb) then yeah don't use it.

Otherwise, unless you get thousands of dollars to hire a professional voice actor and a recording studio, just put in the dang lines.
At the end of the day, beggars can't be choosers.

Upvote 0
Lemonater47;n2265452 said:
We're not begging anymore that's the thing.

Oh really? Do you have a source of Art, Maps, Music, Voice, Graphics, Media; all of which are 100% guaranteed to promptly do whatever is asked of them and never quit without notice?

Tripwire and AMG have this but generally modders don't. You guys are lucky to have Nymets and Beskar, all my projects have failed miserably because no mappers or artists gave two ****s about them.

Heck, you told me yourself you have no permanent artists, pretty much everything was contributed by people arriving and then leaving.

Lemonater47;n2265452 said:
Also so hear the voices first before you comment lol. You might just change your mind.

Modders are allowed to have standards.

I specifically said: yes, standards are good. I myself had to reject two voice actors for RSS because they had far too much crackling and background noise.

But the key is not going overboard. The two that I did use certainly weren't perfect and definitely not Tripwire quality like you're asking for, but they were good enough to be included in a mod.

Well here, upload the files and let's settle this once and for all.

Last edited:
Upvote 0