• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Heroes of the West (Western Front mod)

I don't know if this has been suggested or not, but would it be possible for the addition of the M1917 Enfield or perhaps a reskin of the M1903A1 to an A3 be possible? Because I think the A3 was more relevant than an A1 in the Western front. As for the Enfield, I think it would be an interesting alterative to the Springfield as well that I believe there were some used during D-Day.

Upvote 0
This possibly needs to be in the beta map thread, but Donner is starting to become a bit of a problem. No offence to Veld as it was the first HotW map, but now there are a good number of choices its a little... wonkey for public play.
Thus far with the mod I've noticed people tend to gravitate toward that map when there are larger turnouts possibly due to the fact its familiar to them. Now Omaha is there people tend to vote for it less, but it still gets played. In the context of a warm-up map, I think it is in theory fine as it works well with low populations as a server fills up. However there are a few problems I have with it:

1) Time - The map lasts about 40 minutes. That is insanely long for such a tiny map. Omaha, now the biggest HotW map with a very static opening section, lasts just about 30 minutes. Essentially the smallest map lasts longer than the biggest. If it were about 15 minutes long for example I imagine it would be fine.
2) Cap progression - As all the caps are open at all times it quickly becomes a merry-go-round of capping. If it were 3 points it would be annoying, but the map has about 6. Even if you cap the whole map someone could go and cap your base point before you even know it.
3) Flow - Day of Defeat RO is not. The choke points are REALLY horrid here and when you can have 30+ people packed into what was a map originally designed for 16 people its a bit messy.

As mentioned, as a warm-up map for a session its ok to a degree, and points 2 and 3 are kind of moot in that regard, however the time that the map has is a real problem. Tonight on the French server there were people dropping in and out from the Donner map for most of the evening, plus one player got bored and started tempting people away to the 29th server as they had 45+ players on Omaha. The promise was that Omaha would follow Donner, and it did, but you had to play that warm-up for 30 minutes plus and that's no longer a warm-up really.

I know the 29th have some interesting drills and can make some more unorthodox maps work, but when it comes to public play the map is really messy. Sorry if this seems very ranty / *****y, but I'm noticing a loss in player retention on some game nights because of this.

Upvote 0
Bug found.

If the server is set to have Role Override Mode set to Classic Roles then German players spawn with Jap weapons.

Any links to server side instructions? I noticed one of the mappers included a very crazy looking ini file for a map. Is all the bottom stuff needed ?

Example

[WF-OmahaBeachB2 ROUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
MapName=WF-OmahaBeachB2
FriendlyName=WF-OmahaBeachB2
GameType=WFGame.WFGameInfoTerritories
PreviewImageMarkup=
Description=
LoadMapMovie=
MapTips=
MapTips=
MapType16=ROMT_Infantryonly
MapType32=ROMT_Infantryonly
MapType64=ROMT_Infantryonly

[WF-OmahaBeachB2 ROUIDataProvider_WorldInfo]
MapName=WF-OmahaBeachB2
Friendly=WF-OmahaBeachB2
PreviewImageMarkup=
Description=

[WFGameInfoTerritories ROUIDataProvider_GameModeInfo]
GameMode=WFGame.WFGameInfoTerritories
GameSettingsClass=ROOnlineGameSettingsTerritories
GameSearchClass=ROOnlineGameSearch
DefaultMap=WF-OmahaBeachB2
Prefixes=WF
OptionSet=WF

[ROGame.ROGameInfoTerritories]
bUseReadySystem=false
bUseMatchWarmup=false
WarmupRoundDuration=0
KillMessageDelay=2.0
KillMessageMode=ROKMM_All
bMeleeOnly=false
bAllowDeadRoaming=true
bAllowViewpointSpectating=true
bAllowKillCamera=false
ReinforcementTimeScale=1.0
bDisableTimeLimit=false
bDisableReinforcementLimit=false
ReinforcementScale=1.0
bUseCapturesForTieBreaking=false
GameTypeDisplay=Territories
GameTypeDescription=TerritoriesDescription
GameTips=TerritoriesTip1
GameTips=TerritoriesTip2
GameTips=TerritoriesTip3
GameTips=TerritoriesTip4
GameTips=TerritoriesTip5
GameTips=TerritoriesTip6
GameTips=TerritoriesTip7
GameTips=TerritoriesTip8
GameTips=TerritoriesTip9
GameTips=TerritoriesTip10
GameTips=TerritoriesTip11
bLockdownEnabled=true
bShowVictimKilledFromRange=true

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The part [ROGame.ROGameInfoTerritories] should not be included in the mod map ini file because it will conflict with that same part contained in the ROGame.ini. The mod map ini files may contain only what follows, and will work as intended, exemple for WF-MapName.roe:

[WF-MapName ROUIDataProvider_MapInfo]
MapName=WF-MapName
FriendlyName=Map Name
GameType=WFGame.WFGameInfoTerritories

[WFGameInfoTerritories ROUIDataProvider_GameModeInfo]
GameMode=WFGame.WFGameInfoTerritories
GameSettingsClass=ROOnlineGameSettingsTerritories
GameSearchClass=ROOnlineGameSearch
DefaultMap=WF-Donner
Prefixes=WF
OptionSet=WF

For the Classic Roles Override, the mapper will need, for each created role in each Fireteam, in each Squad, for each side, to select the opposite role (for campaign in theory) and the classic role, or maybe that is something that may need fixing/tweaking in the WF mod itself to automaticaly give the good 'classic role' in WF mode if serverselected the Classic Role Override.

Upvote 0
This seems to have been done by every other custom map maker. Would not have thought the WF map makers were any lesser.

Not that I didn't do it, we just don't have any Classic roles. What I can do is set it to match the non-classic role to prevent any problems like this in the future. Opposing team roles should work fine though.

Looking closer, the first few maps I did have blank classic roles, the last couple (Hill400 and Omaha) have Aufmarsch roles inserted into the classic role drop down? Both of these mods extend the RS gametype, which is likely why the Japanese stuff was inserted for the Axis players. I am guessing that Allies werent affected. Will check with Shepard, but I am guessing this can be fixed as I update each map. Sorry for the headache.

Upvote 0
I have never been too much of a fan of spawn on SL, but with the challenges presented with creating and then balancing a map like Omaha Beach within the constraints of the RO2 gameplay, I feel like it is necessary.

As far as the other maps in the mod, besides Caen, there are no others that can compare with the scale of Omaha so spawn on SL is not really a factor. I will say that I am awaiting another full server test on B2 before i make further changes to the map, but may implement other adjustments that would make spawn on SL less important. And TBH, beyond the beach its no longer that important anyways. So for the French Community to adjust their entire server settings for just one map might be a liitle overboard at this point?

That being said, I completely appreciate the support for the mod you have shown us for the last year. :)

Upvote 0