• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Heroes of the West (Western Front mod)

Sorry if it seems I neglected to post this week, I became congested in my chest and decided not to record much. Sounds very funny when yelling :)

Here's what I recorded right before the congestion got too bad. Some of it doesn't sound the greatest to me, but they were just examples of some lines I could think of along with a revisit of artillery_line_1. Once my congestion clears up I'll promptly re-record the ones that weren't good based on feedback and continue on. Hopefully sooner rather than later! :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlwi9tvxqpes9eg/Sounds 3.0.7z?dl=0[url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlwi9tvxqpes9eg/Sounds%203.0.7z?dl=0[/URL]

Also, Raven, would you happen to still have the explicit list of lines that you mentioned? I could really use it. :)

Upvote 0
I had bad congestion in my chest once and it turned into pneumonia. Which is a really fun illness. Went to uni with it thinking I was fine. Hospitalised 3 hours later.

On the computer front my computer is alive. Sort of. I've gotten it to boot using Ubuntu on a USB stick and can access all my files. I just have to figure out how to make my external drive to not be read only. I want to move everything to there. I'll give you a script tommorow headshot unless raven beats me to it. I have an American one raven had the german one. Which aren't that different really. Thinking about it I can probably listen to things now. Should of done that before.

Upvote 0
Sorry if it seems I neglected to post this week, I became congested in my chest and decided not to record much. Sounds very funny when yelling :)

Here's what I recorded right before the congestion got too bad. Some of it doesn't sound the greatest to me, but they were just examples of some lines I could think of along with a revisit of artillery_line_1. Once my congestion clears up I'll promptly re-record the ones that weren't good based on feedback and continue on. Hopefully sooner rather than later! :D

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlwi9tvxqpes9eg/Sounds 3.0.7z?dl=0[url]https://www.dropbox.com/s/hlwi9tvxqpes9eg/Sounds%203.0.7z?dl=0[/URL]

Also, Raven, would you happen to still have the explicit list of lines that you mentioned? I could really use it. :)

I'll send you the German one, but I think the american would be better.

I got congestion too, though it's in my sinuses. Makes my recordings sound different. Feel better, don't let it progress to something worse.

Leminator, yeah back it up while you can. I didn't, then the hard drive crashed. Lost everything. Glad you got it working though.:)

Upvote 0
Googling "Heroes of the West mod" I was curious what results I will get. I found this here:

http://castingcall.club/projects/heroes-of-the-west-ro2-mod

I'm happy to see that actually quite some folks show interest in contribution to our modification. Something that I am a bit confused however is that we are now also doing English speaking Germans? I thought that we had decided against it. My biggest problem is that I do not have a German accent in my English, secondly I would just use my German voice when playing as I deem it more authentic.

I'm really curious for the next update as the new voices might already be in.
Oh before I forgot, it's a great idea making it an official mod on Steam. :)

Upvote 0
Googling "Heroes of the West mod" I was curious what results I will get. I found this here:

I'm happy to see that actually quite some folks show interest in contribution to our modification. Something that I am a bit confused however is that we are now also doing English speaking Germans? I thought that we had decided against it. My biggest problem is that I do not have a German accent in my English, secondly I would just use my German voice when playing as I deem it more authentic.

That sounds good, about making it a official mod on Steam. I am also glad about more people getting interested:) However I agree with Raven that native Voices are best. That was a feature I was glad about in rising storm.
Native voices work much nicer for immersion.

Upvote 0

We were always wanting English speaking germans as well. Many people have that setting on in RO2. Friendly team speaks English, enemy team speaks german/russian. People who want fairness over immersion. I mean if a grenade lands next to you and you have no idea what the hell they are shouting. I usually only save myself from grenades becuase someone yelled it out. As well as a bunch of other helpful things in game characters yell. It's an in game option.

Thing is not a single German voice actor wants to do it in English lol.

For this to be an official mod we actually need to pay steam $100. To stop spammers. It all goes to charity apparently. It also has to go through greenlight these days. So the mod will have to be in a better condition first.

You can curse all you want for the voices btw poisonstrudal. Just make it sound natural. Don't force the words out if it you don't usually swear. Doesn't sound good otherwise. Many youtube gaming commentators deliberately swear to make themselves more "popular" or something. But you can easily tell that they aren't the sort of person who swears much at all by the way they say them. A slight pause before they say it or they stutter on it or they put a lot of emphasis on the swear word.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There are various reasons why the German voice actors won't do Genglish. Some like me do not have an accent, others are not fluent enough in English.

Well fairness, Call of Duty somewhat set the trend with Allied forces speaking the local language and the Axis forces speaking native languages.

However Rising Storm does not feature English speaking Japanese or any other localization. I do understand a very few words they say, yet I would not use localization voices if there were any.
My Russian ability is far better than the Japanese, still bad however.

Anyways, concerning the auditions, I think that Spalmer did a nice job there also and could definitely provide voices for an American.

Noname as German soldier 1 did a very nice job except the dying sounds. I know myself how frickin' hard it is to do a convincing performance there.

I will post our ad in someGerman gaming forums also. There are surely some lets players who would enjoy participation. :)

Upvote 0
I'll be using the American dialogue from Rising Storm as my base for what I'll be recording, anybody know if/where I can find a transcript of the US dialogue?

You can curse all you want for the voices btw poisonstrudal. Just make it sound natural. Don't force the words out if it you don't usually swear. Doesn't sound good otherwise. Many youtube gaming commentators deliberately swear to make themselves more "popular" or something. But you can easily tell that they aren't the sort of person who swears much at all by the way they say them. A slight pause before they say it or they stutter on it or they put a lot of emphasis on the swear word.

Okay that's good. The only reason I'm asking is because naturally I swear a lot when I speak, it's just natural for me. Also I'm supposed to be voicing someone in a warzone, I'd expect any sort of manners to be tossed out the window.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The casting call club audition actually ended. People there are really really over the top though lol. I'm working with a couple of them to see if we can get them to sound more natural.

Btw I dont Know what effect having more voices than the default 3 variations per side will have on RAM. As this game can only use a limited amount. So if we get more than 3 and it starts crashing the game we will have to cut people.

Last edited:
Upvote 0