Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

WIP Forum Upgrade

Please pardon our mess as we continue to iterate on the forum style, css and images. If you have any suggestions be sure to let us know in the off topic part of the forum!
2 of 2 < >

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

IOM asking the community for some help!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• IOM asking the community for some help!

Hey guys,

I'm one of Dibbler's minions working on the IOM mod (I had created the "Better Realism" portion prior to it's combination with Sound Mutator.) If you run into me online my Steam name is "Tremozl".

I'm looking for some help from the Community in setting up the Rising Storm side of IOM. I'm not looking for coders, modelers, etc... just looking for Community input regarding Roles and Weapons in Rising Storm.

What we would love is if someone (can be more than one person providing input!) who is knowledgeable and passionate about history, would advise me on how to set up the Roles for Rising Storm. To explain this, I'm looking for what equipment should be issued to the Roles available in Rising Storm: what weapons, how much ammunition, what grenades, etc..

An example would be: (Don't rip me apart on this, it's why I'm looking for help )

Allied Rifleman - 1942-1943
    Primary: M1 Garand, 1+8 mags
    Secondary: M1911, 1+2 mags
    2x Frag Grenade

We know there are people out there in the community who are very passionate about realism and history, and I'm reaching out to see how we can create the most realistic and accurate experience with IOM. Hoping to get some great responses!
    sigpic

Alrighty my two cents for the Type 100 is to limit it to only "One" Assault class and the Commander. Only 24000 were ever produced and most were made late war. Also split the existing type 100 into it's separate variants. The Teir 1 was the Type 100 1944 and was mass produced late war. The Teir 2 and 3 was the 1940 variants and fazed out due to its increased jamming and reliability issues.

Comment

Give everyone at least 4 magazines for their pistols. (In RO2 too)

Comment

Take the flamethrower out of defensive roles for the Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by Kenobi View Post
          Take the flamethrower out of defensive roles for the Americans.
          yep or maybe limit the number of it,on US defense maps to only one?!

also RS-flamethrower operator-make the Dragon dude move slower and make the weapon louder.
          and how about a small split second delay when you fire the weapon-to prevent tap firing?!(so that you have a chance,to kill the flamethrower guy before he can hipfire you,from 15m...)

and maybe limit the number of it,on US defense maps to only one?!

Comment

just give type100 flamethower to japs lol
            playing RO since 2009.
            IOM 3d modeller, animator, historical research. IOMmod.ucoz.com

Comment

Originally posted by aaz777 View Post
              just give type100 flamethower to japs lol
              Ya but how often was the type 100 on the battlefield compared to the m2? and axis are on defence for most of the maps, and the ones they are attacking wouldn't be realistic to carry a flamethrower

Comment

If possible,rename the M1 Garand to M1 Rifle.Nobody ever referred to it as "M1 Garand".

Comment

Here are the first of a what I hope will be a number of info dumps and suggestions. Sources other than Wikipedia articles are noted. The following all pertain to RS Axis (Imperial Japanese).

Types 91+97 Hand Grenades
                  The Type 91 is a versatile explosive, able to be used for chucking by hand or launching by grenade launcher or mortar-like projector (e.g. Type 89 grenade discharger). The Type 97 was produced as a replacement for the Type 91 for general usage; it had a shorter fuse (4-5 seconds compared to Type 91's 7-8 seconds), but it could only be handled as a hand grenade.

Based upon that, I would suggest keeping the Type 91 as the grenade for the Light Mortar class while all other roles receive the Type 97. In particular I would like to see the Machine Gunner and Marksman roles receive grenades for use as well (either Type 91 to separate them from those roles that are much more "front-line" than they are or Type 97 to have them adhere to the notion of Type 97 being issued to mostly replace Type 91 for front-line infantry usage).

Ammo Distribution for Rifle-Wielding Roles
                  The standard-issue ammunition belt had three cartridge boxes: 2 30-round boxes and 1 60-round reserve box. That amounts to 120 rounds (or 24 5-round clips) for those roles (Rifleman, Marksman, Squad Leader, and Commander) that wield the Type 38 or Type 99 rifles. While that sounds like an excessive total to incorporate in-game, that is what I found with my short research.

-Source: http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/car...c/number19.pdf (see page 34)
                  -Source: http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/car...c/number27.pdf (see pages 38-40)

Type 14 Availability
                  Purportedly the Nambu Type 14 was issued to NCOs and available to be purchased by other officers. On that basis it would be odd to see it available to roles other than Squad Leader and Commander (I'd argue for it to be available to Machine Gunner for the sake of game-play balance, but that's me).

That's what I have for now.

EDIT Added link to another source.
                  Last edited by S.N.A.F.U.; 05-15-2014, 10:20 PM. Reason: Added link to another source.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

i think type11 mg would be awesome, with this clip system
                    playing RO since 2009.
                    IOM 3d modeller, animator, historical research. IOMmod.ucoz.com

Comment

Originally posted by FourKillMaster View Post
                      Alrighty my two cents for the Type 100 is to limit it to only "One" Assault class and the Commander. Only 24000 were ever produced and most were made late war. Also split the existing type 100 into it's separate variants. The Teir 1 was the Type 100 1944 and was mass produced late war. The Teir 2 and 3 was the 1940 variants and fazed out due to its increased jamming and reliability issues.
                      Originally posted by S.N.A.F.U.
                      Here are the first of a what I hope will be a number of info dumps and suggestions. Sources other than Wikipedia articles are noted. The following all pertain to RS Axis (Imperial Japanese).

Types 91+97 Hand Grenades
                      The Type 91 is a versatile explosive, able to be used for chucking by hand or launching by grenade launcher or mortar-like projector (e.g. Type 89 grenade discharger). The Type 97 was produced as a replacement for the Type 91 for general usage; it had a shorter fuse (4-5 seconds compared to Type 91's 7-8 seconds), but it could only be handled as a hand grenade.

Based upon that, I would suggest keeping the Type 91 as the grenade for the Light Mortar class while all other roles receive the Type 97. In particular I would like to see the Machine Gunner and Marksman roles receive grenades for use as well (either Type 91 to separate them from those roles that are much more "front-line" than they are or Type 97 to have them adhere to the notion of Type 97 being issued to mostly replace Type 91 for front-line infantry usage).

Ammo Distribution for Rifle-Wielding Roles
                      The standard-issue ammunition belt had three cartridge boxes: 2 30-round boxes and 1 60-round reserve box. That amounts to 120 rounds (or 24 5-round clips) for those roles (Rifleman, Marksman, Squad Leader, and Commander) that wield the Type 38 or Type 99 rifles. While that sounds like an excessive total to incorporate in-game, that is what I found with my short research.

-Source: http://usacac.army.mil/cac2/cgsc/car...c/number19.pdf (see page 34)

Type 14 Availability
                      Purportedly the Nambu Type 14 was issued to NCOs and available to be purchased by other officers. On that basis it would be odd to see it available to roles other than Squad Leader and Commander (I'd argue for it to be available to Machine Gunner for the sake of game-play balance, but that's me).

That's what I have for now.
                      Excellent. This is the kind of stuff I'm looking for guys!

Originally posted by CptFoley101
                      If possible,rename the M1 Garand to M1 Rifle.Nobody ever referred to it as "M1 Garand".
                      Interesting.. Any reason why they never called it the Garand? Is that something that only came out of modern Video Games or something?
                      Last edited by Panzer Jager '43; 05-15-2014, 08:08 PM.
                      sigpic

Comment

Something that could be done in the future is stuff with the type 99 AT charge,
                        http://cloud-2.steampowered.com/ugc/...6107FA5A61FA8/

This bundle of explosives is available only on IWO Jima at supply dumps but it could be built into a Japanese Sapper class which could be the opposite of the US engineer class.

The type 99 AT charge could be planted as a booby trap (not supported yet in-game). Here are pictures of it:

Pic1
                        Pic2

In-game it could be planted in the ground in the hopes that someone will step on it--with a bigger boom.

It was used for a wide variety of things from demolitions to antipersonnel mines to AT uses--very flexible. VS heavier tanks, multiple type 99 charges would be attached together (magnets attracting each other) to pierce more armour (1 at charge was reported to pierce 22mm of armour, 2 charges attached together could pierce 30mm of armour).

A sapper class could have 2 AT charges. He can throw them individually or plant them in the ground. Additionally he could press "6" to combine both of his AT charges together by attaching the magnets side by side and chuck it for a bigger boom. Currently in-game the at charge has a smaller explosion radius than a satchel. The combined AT charge could have a slightly larger radius than a satchel.

-----

if you ever support Realism progression, perhaps:
                        lvl 0 - AT charge
                        lvl 25 - unlock ability to plant as a mine
                        lvl 50 - can attach 2 AT charges together
                        Last edited by Bane5; 05-15-2014, 10:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by aaz777 View Post
                          i think type11 mg would be awesome, with this clip system
                          It would be an interesting piece that would bring further variety to the Imperials' already unique LMG selection.

Footage of Type 11 in action:

From the looks of it the Type 11 could fire single shots about as easily as the Type 96 does in-game and could fire up to five-round bursts. I could also see loading the Type 11 working exactly like single-round loading of bolt-action sniper rifles: the player could interrupt reloading at any time to resume firing with what rounds have been loaded. Instead of single-round loading though, the MG would be loading five-round clips for a maximum of six clips.

On a related note:

6.5x50mmSR Genso: a Variant Round
                          In my reading of the Type 11, it was initially designed to chamber the 6.5x50mmSR cartridge which is the same round used by the Type 38 rifle; the intent was for riflemen to be able to readily resupply their machine gunners. After observing that the pressure produced by standard 6.5x50mmSR over time led to wear and breakage in Type 11s, authorities decided to reduce the amount of charge set into the ammunition to be used by Type 11s. This new ammo was identified by the letter "G" stamped onto packaging; it stood for genso which is Japanese for "reduced". While producing less force and stopping power, these rounds also produced little to no muzzle flash and smoke when fired. This genso ammunition was purportedly issued also to soldiers wielding Type 96 LMGs and Type 97 sniper rifles.

My point being: IOM could simulate usage of this genso ammunition by reducing (or removing entirely) muzzle flash produced by the Type 96 LMG and Type 97 sniper rifle (as well as the Type 11, if it is truly pursued for inclusion). This would add another quality to these weapons to set them apart from their alternate choices: the Type 99 LMG and Type 99 sniper rifle respectively. As I see it the main differences for these weapons would be as follows:

Type 99 (LMG and sniper rifle)
                          - more powerful ammunition

Type 96 LMG and Type 97 sniper rifle
                          - capable of greater accuracy and possessing significantly lesser (or no) visible signature while firing

Side note: the horn-shaped flash suppressor on the Type 99 LMG was intended to reduce visible signature just as genso ammunition did for the Type 96. That's just another point for consideration.

Originally posted by Bane5 View Post
                          ...could be built into a Japanese Sapper class which could be the opposite of the US engineer class.
                          Not to steal your thunder, but there is an Engineer class for RS Axis already in-game. Unless mistaken, I think this role has only appeared (officially) in Campaign mode to provide RS Axis that personnel as needed (e.g. Axis attacking on Betio receive 1 or 2 Engineers for Objectives C-E.).

So besides being a tank-buster, what you're suggesting is that the Type 99 charge function as a super-strong booby trap? That application is certainly plausible.
                          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by Panzer Jager '43 View Post
                            Interesting.. Any reason why they never called it the Garand? Is that something that only came out of modern Video Games or something?
                            My guess is because John Garand was canadian(lol).The ordnance listing never had "Garand" in it aswell.
                            http://www.milsurps.com/showthread.php?t=35527&page=1

http://www.ww2lhawebpages.com/THEFIR...Y_M1RIFLE.html

http://www.survivalebooks.com/m1-garand-rifle.html

Comment

On the training movie from 1943 is called only as M1 Rifle
                              Rifle Marksmanship With The M1 Rifle - Part 1 - YouTube

If you are talking about 6,5 mm Genso ammunition perhaps the tracer rounds for Type 96 LMG should be removed or less visible?
                              [I]Armour will not protect cowardly heart [/I]- 10th Motorized Cavarly Brigade, precursor of 1st Polish Armoured Division
                              [I]The engine of a Panzer is a weapon just like the main gun[/I] - Gen. Heinz Guderian

Comment

Working...
                              X