Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • Avatars:
    Avatars are disabled.
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.




Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Mutator Common Coding Problems and solutions

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    If I try to compile a mutator, then I do get compiler warnings at these lines (see yellow lines):
    Code:
    defaultproperties
    {
        GroupName="BlaBla"
        FriendlyName="Bla Bla"
        Description="Description of Bla Bla"
    }
    The warning is like Warning, Unknown property in defaults: GroupName="BlaBla" and it is generated for all 3 lines. Should the scope of the file not contain the next definitions?
    Code:
    var() string GroupName;
    var() string FriendlyName;
    var() string Description;
    Or am I missing something?
    TWB*BlueDuck

    Comment


    • #17
      Those strings are part of the ROUIDataProvider_Mutator class, not the mutator itself. Over in UT land, that's specified in an ini file for your mutator. RO doesn't use it yet except in the dedicated server webadmin, and I'm not sure that's even functioning right, yet.

      Comment


      • #18
        One thing that's definately tripping me up is not being able to modify a lot of the core logic in ROPawn. I've tried creating my own class and inheriting from the ROPawn class but I can't (easily) get the player to be using my custom pawn instead of the ROPawn.

        When I use the CheckReplacement and ReplaceWith functions, nothing seems to happen.

        I'm having to resort to the the ugly timed loops / manual manipulation crap us modders had to do back in the AMXX mod days.
        Last edited by FBX; 01-18-2012, 11:11 PM.

        Comment


        • #19
          Did you try to replace the default pawn setting in the gametype via a mutator?
          Something like
          Code:
          function PreBeginPlay() 
          {     
             super.PreBeginPlay();
             class'Package.Class'.default.WhateverProperty=10; 
          }
          www.projecttwilight.de - hos.roladder.net - www.heroesofstalingrad.de

          Comment


          • #20
            I have a few questions to which I do not have the answer. I hope someone can help me out:
            1. How can I write something to the RO2 log file?
              I've tried the `log and `logd macro with -debug passed to the make command, but I still do not see anything appear in the log files.
            2. How should I make my mutator known (and selectable) in the web-admin tool?
            3. How should the format of the defaulthullmgmutator.ini file look like for the next mutator class? (it's just a snipped of the class)
            Code:
            class HullMGMutator extends Mutator
                config(HullMGMutator);
                
            struct MissPercentages
            {
                var float Recruit;
                var float Soldier;
                var float Veteran;
                var float Hero; 
            };
            
            var config MissPercentages HullMGMissPercentages;
            I've tried this, but the mutator doesn't seem to load it:
            Code:
            [HullMGMutator.HullMGMutator]
            HullMGMissPercentages=(Recruit=75.0,Soldier=70.0,Veteran=65.0,Hero=60.0)
            Last edited by Ducky; 01-19-2012, 07:17 PM.
            TWB*BlueDuck

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by worluk View Post
              Did you try to replace the default pawn setting in the gametype via a mutator?
              Something like
              Code:
              function PreBeginPlay() 
              {     
                 super.PreBeginPlay();
                 class'Package.Class'.default.WhateverProperty=10; 
              }
              The stuff I want to change isn't a setting. I want to override existing functions with my own.

              Unrealscript confuses me in that if I take the controller which owns the pawn and typecast the pawn to my own custom class which extends ROPawn, then assign it to the controller's pawn, it breaks. The old pawn disappears (if I use checkreplacement and return false) and the new one doesn't have any functionality. If I don't use checkreplacement the old pawn hangs around but doesn't work.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Ducky View Post
                I have a few questions to which I do not have the answer. I hope someone can help me out:
                1. How can I write something to the RO2 log file?
                  I've tried the `log and `logd macro with -debug passed to the make command, but I still do not see anything appear in the log files.
                2. How should I make my mutator known (and selectable) in the web-admin tool?
                3. How should the format of the defaulthullmgmutator.ini file look like for the next mutator class? (it's just a snipped of the class)
                Code:
                class HullMGMutator extends Mutator
                    config(HullMGMutator);
                    
                struct MissPercentages
                {
                    var float Recruit;
                    var float Soldier;
                    var float Veteran;
                    var float Hero; 
                };
                
                var config MissPercentages HullMGMissPercentages;
                I've tried this, but the mutator doesn't seem to load it:
                Code:
                [HullMGMutator.HullMGMutator]
                HullMGMissPercentages=(Recruit=75.0,Soldier=70.0,Veteran=65.0,Hero=60.0)
                100% ditto on logging. Would make debugging this stuff a lot easier to see what the variables are at certain points.

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by FBX View Post
                  The stuff I want to change isn't a setting. I want to override existing functions with my own.

                  Unrealscript confuses me in that if I take the controller which owns the pawn and typecast the pawn to my own custom class which extends ROPawn, then assign it to the controller's pawn, it breaks. The old pawn disappears (if I use checkreplacement and return false) and the new one doesn't have any functionality. If I don't use checkreplacement the old pawn hangs around but doesn't work.
                  You misunderstood. I suggested you replace the gametypes default pawn that way, therefore not requiring a checkreplacement as the standard gamecode would spawn your pawn by default.
                  www.projecttwilight.de - hos.roladder.net - www.heroesofstalingrad.de

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by Ducky View Post
                    I have a few questions to which I do not have the answer. I hope someone can help me out:
                    1. How can I write something to the RO2 log file?
                      I've tried the `log and `logd macro with -debug passed to the make command, but I still do not see anything appear in the log files.
                    2. How should I make my mutator known (and selectable) in the web-admin tool?
                    3. How should the format of the defaulthullmgmutator.ini file look like for the next mutator class? (it's just a snipped of the class)
                    Code:
                    class HullMGMutator extends Mutator
                        config(HullMGMutator);
                        
                    struct MissPercentages
                    {
                        var float Recruit;
                        var float Soldier;
                        var float Veteran;
                        var float Hero; 
                    };
                    
                    var config MissPercentages HullMGMissPercentages;
                    I've tried this, but the mutator doesn't seem to load it:
                    Code:
                    [HullMGMutator.HullMGMutator]
                    HullMGMissPercentages=(Recruit=75.0,Soldier=70.0,Veteran=65.0,Hero=60.0)
                    *shrug* no idea about the log, HoS was not in any state when i tried and i wont touch its code with a ten foot pole now.
                    What you could do though for debugging (in case you dont want to use the to my knowledge working, real debugger option that comes with nfringe), you can use a broadcast call to print stuff ingame. Did that for debugging tank code for CC.

                    For the mutator to show up in webadmin you need the .ini and .int file for the mutator. Check other files of that sort and the standard tutorials on UT3/UE3 mutators on how those should look.
                    www.projecttwilight.de - hos.roladder.net - www.heroesofstalingrad.de

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Originally posted by worluk View Post
                      *shrug* no idea about the log, HoS was not in any state when i tried and i wont touch its code with a ten foot pole now.
                      What you could do though for debugging (in case you dont want to use the to my knowledge working, real debugger option that comes with nfringe), you can use a broadcast call to print stuff ingame. Did that for debugging tank code for CC.

                      For the mutator to show up in webadmin you need the .ini and .int file for the mutator. Check other files of that sort and the standard tutorials on UT3/UE3 mutators on how those should look.
                      I did, but they all refer to using this command:
                      Code:
                      ucc dumpint HullMGMutator.u
                      But I can't find any ucc executable

                      By the way. I was always in the impression that those .int files were only for UT2003 and not for UT2004 and his offspring's.

                      Well at least I got mu mutator to load the defaulhullmgmutator.ini file now. There was a typo in the .ini file name on my server
                      TWB*BlueDuck

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        No need for that command, the int files are plain ascii anyway. As i said, there are enough mutator tutorials out there stating how those files are set up. You will need .ini, .u and .int for the mutator to show up in the webadmin
                        www.projecttwilight.de - hos.roladder.net - www.heroesofstalingrad.de

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by worluk View Post
                          No need for that command, the int files are plain ascii anyway. As i said, there are enough mutator tutorials out there stating how those files are set up. You will need .ini, .u and .int for the mutator to show up in the webadmin
                          I did that. I have the .ini and .u. I also created a .int following instructions from the internet, but still the mutator doesn't show up on the Change Map screen.
                          Mostly I've been using this http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:...pt_Hello_World (which is using the 'older' UT2003) and this http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/UnrealScript_Hello_World. And again here http://wiki.beyondunreal.com/Legacy:Create_An_INT_File (which is again for UT2003 only).
                          But none of those works.

                          Maybe you know a better web-link for me, because i'm running out of options?
                          Last edited by Ducky; 01-21-2012, 08:57 AM.
                          TWB*BlueDuck

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Yeah, it's not a file problem. (also, the .int files are unicode, not ascii)

                            It looks to me like there's a flaw in the webadmin mutator handling. It's recognizing that the mutators are there, and it's reading the ROUIDataProvider_Mutator block correctly (the part that checks for duplicates functions) but it's not populating that data into the DCEMutator object that it uses for all its internal handling (verified with "getall dcemutator classname" on the server console). With all the data left null, the later logic breaks down, of course.

                            It looks to me like it's missing a call to DCEMutator.init() on DataStoreCache.uc line 574.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by Mekhazzio View Post
                              Yeah, it's not a file problem. (also, the .int files are unicode, not ascii)

                              It looks to me like there's a flaw in the webadmin mutator handling. It's recognizing that the mutators are there, and it's reading the ROUIDataProvider_Mutator block correctly (the part that checks for duplicates functions) but it's not populating that data into the DCEMutator object that it uses for all its internal handling (verified with "getall dcemutator classname" on the server console). With all the data left null, the later logic breaks down, of course.

                              It looks to me like it's missing a call to DCEMutator.init() on DataStoreCache.uc line 574.
                              Amazing... You really did dive deap into the scripting that comes with the SDK. Nice bug tracking
                              Last edited by Ducky; 01-21-2012, 12:27 PM.
                              TWB*BlueDuck

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                Originally posted by FBX View Post
                                100% ditto on logging. Would make debugging this stuff a lot easier to see what the variables are at certain points.
                                Figured out how to write stuff to the servers log files. This is what is working for me:
                                Code:
                                `Log("Some message that I want to log",, 'MyMutatorClass');
                                TWB*BlueDuck

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X