• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Guide For Effective Team Work

Not only.
I see potential in the honor system. If you remember, after doing well on the battlefield the game sometimes offers you a chance to take a higher role - sniper, commander ANYTHING!
Even if it's occupied.

I don't know what happens to the guy who was there before, but it's an awesome feature that I love was brought in.

He gets booted to the class selection screen and has to pick a new class.

Keep in mind, if you get a battlefield commission, you can take any class slot in any squad, by using the Join a Squad screen. I regularly swipe SL1 this way after a good round.

Upvote 0
He gets booted to the class selection screen and has to pick a new class.

Keep in mind, if you get a battlefield commission, you can take any class slot in any squad, by using the Join a Squad screen. I regularly swipe SL1 this way after a good round.

Yeah thought so.
Would be nice to see some message concerning WHY you got back to the selection screen.
Something like "You've been replaced" choose another role.

It can be brought up as a "tip".

Upvote 0
Playing more and more as SL recently, I have very ambiguous feelings. First, as I achieved quite a high honor level, newbies are tend to follow my lead, and try to do what I reasonably ask them to do, because they simply don't want to get slaughtered, and the directions of someone that knows the maps and the dynamics of platoon warfare, could improve their chances to survive more and to be more effective. These are the new players.

On the other hand, I see a handful of experienced players, that acting absolutley alone, don't even try to utilize the spawn on SL function, they are having their own ways, absolutley neglecting SLs, TLs, squadmates, teammates, but when they stuck, they are crying for smoke, recon and artillery. Sometimes they don't even know who they are asking.

However, the tactical screen sometimes doesn't even help. As a squad leader or squad member, I can see the rough hierarchy, who is my SL, who is the commander, who are in my squad. But I can't see on the tactical screen that who belongs to which fire team, in fact, I don't even know how the fire teams are filled, which is full, which one is (close to empty), that could help pretty much to the SL to know which FT would be able to perform certain actions. If I see that FT3 doesn't even have a single MG, I won't order them to overwatch or cover a critical area. When we are close together, I can see after their name which FT they are belonging to, but that should be indicated on tactical screen as well. The names are there, but it's not obvious where a FT ends and where another starts.

But most importantly, as others mentioned, it would be crucial to force the players to pick up a squad role, instead of picking a weapon. Many of the players obviously just want to spread the word (I mean the bullets) with an SMG, or basically anything except for the bolt action rifles. And that's wrong. Although the platoon consist mostly of riflemen, it doesn't mean that they have lower responsibility than the specialized units. They have to provide support for the attacks, flankings, helping out the MGs, being a rifleman is an important role. But most of the players don't want to be one, and if they have to, they don't care which squad and which platoon are they belonging to. They don't realize what they supposed to do, except for hunting for frags (which is of course quite useful, but they could play more useful if the deliver those kills in the right place, in the right time, supporting the FT mates).

Making players chose a squad and a squad role first instead of picking a weapon is essential. But the squad selection screen should also be fine tuned, I believe. I have something like this in mind:

Spoiler!

The current squad selection screen is not really user friendly, it's not apparent enough, you don't see the whole structure in one screen. With this concept, there would be everyting visible and understandable at once. Players could see the competence level of the SLs, and the squad mates, and they would absolutley realize which FT they are joining, and according to that, how they should serve the cause of the FT, squad and platoon.

And instead of honoring the excellence in battle with offering them to take over a role of their choice, it would be maybe a good idea to let experienced and competent platoon commaders swap soldiers under his command. As he can see the entire structure of his platoon, if he realizes that the defending squad2 with an all rifleman lineup struggles with positioning, and the enemy decimates them a lot, the commander could place more experienced riflemen and an effective SL there. Although that has the potential to improve efficiency, nothing would stop the redirected player to swap weapon or simply exit the game, so consider this only as a rough thought.

The image you posted would be awesome to implement in the game. I would add some more details, like a minor description about the squad (squad 4: supression, squad 3: assault, squad 2: support...) so people would know what each squad should do. And then I think it would be nice to have FT members colored differently on the map. As the team members appear in green, FT1 members would appear in purple, FT2 yellow etc in order to know how your squad is spreaded over the map.

And a recent thought I've had, what about teampoints for squad members who accomplish squad leader commands? I think it would encourage squad members to follow SL orders. If SL1 orders FT1 to move to a corner or a trench, the game would create a delimited surface in the mentioned area and FT1 members would get points for reaching the area. No need to be experience points that count in the match points but a parallel experience points to count for a.... Teamplay experience, and thus we could know how much a player teamplays. Just wandering :p

Upvote 0