Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

terrbile design choises that bother me to no end

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• terrbile design choises that bother me to no end

sorry for my hostile tone but the following problems caused me a lot of anger and broken nerves and i really need to get this off my chest.

while the game is awesome, it has quite a few horrible issues simply caused by bad choises and nothing more, problems that simply sprang from bad ideas and can easily be fixed.

*not being able to cancel bandaging . - why? is my soldier in some bandaging trance that he just has to sit still staring down the enemie's barrel? there is no reason why i shouldn't be able to stop bandaging and shoot/run even if the bleeding will continue

*not being able to melee/switch weapon while cycling the bolt - oh no, a jap is charging at me, and i missed a shot, well i better just stab hi...- nope! gotta cycle the bolt first! oh now you're dead, what a shame, if only you could interupt the bolting to melee...
    and no, don't tell me to use manual bolting, you are still stuck while operating the bolt and players should not be forced to use a feature they don't like in the first place.

*not being able to see spawn protected areas. why? does it really hamper the gameplay to paint in red all the areas you are not allowed to go to? te amount of times i died because i ran into spawn protection and got shot because i ran in panic is outrageous.
    the amount of times i needed to constantly fix arty marks because i didn't know what areas are spawn protected is also outrageous.

*being able to request ammo if you are not holding an MG. why? it really feels terrible to run up to a guy in the front line, risking my life in hoping to resupply an MG only to realize he was some lousy rifle that was spamming the command wheel.

*the entire reload animation canceled because in interruption in the last second.
    i know it's made to prevent animation canceling that modern CoD's are so notorious for, but come on! if the fresh clip is already inside and all i forgot is to cock the gun, i shouldn't be forced to repeat the same long animation again!
    do you know how frustrating it is when you think your gun is fully loaded only to charge into battle unable to shoot anything?
    if it's not possible to make the game remember was stage was gun in (loaded, empty, unloaded, uncocked) then at least have the basic decency to make the cocking at the START of the reload animation

and these are just the problems that come off the tip of my head.

please explain why these problems are not fixed or what twisted logic is used to keep these 'gameplay elements' in tact

EDIT: deleted a few less important issues that everyone were focusing on
    Last edited by Jolly Jew; 05-15-2014, 11:00 AM.

*not being able to melee/switch weapon while cycling the bolt - oh no, a jap is charging at me, and i missed a shot, well i better just stab hi...- nope! gotta cycle the bolt first! oh now you're dead, what a shame, if only you could interupt the bolting to melee...
    and no, don't tell me to use manual bolting, you are still stuck while operating the bolt and players should not be forced to use a feature they don't like in the first place.
    in the Options you can change from Auto to manuel reload, so that you have to click the lmb to pull the bolt instead of automatically i guess that could help you with this
    [IMG]http://s7.directupload.net/images/140327/jegoqi6j.gif[/IMG]

Comment

[QUOTE=Gro
      Supporting:
      Disapproving: progression, spawn on SL, spawns close to cap (RSOD)
      Since: beta 1.0 UT2003

Comment

A lot of ideas...
        My opinion:
        1. Artillery is fine. I love that its rather unpredictable. It was even harder in real WW2 (With sightings of probe shots etc.) to hit a target.

2. Spawn protected areas should be made visible somehow. Maybe on mapscreen if you press a certain button there?

3. Stopping bandages should black you out but it would be nice if it would be possible. On the other hand its your fault/enemies luck you dont know the surroundings.
        If I would be bandaging myself I would probably take some time to get my weapon back in my hands.

4. Satchels... TKs with them is a problem for your class but I would rather see TK limits expanded than satchels made easier to use. I love them though.
        Check out my new RS Iwojima guide :cool:
        [url]http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=283431802[/url]

Comment

You can see friendly satchels in the Tactical view, and in general, people ouughhttt to be calling them out more anyways. :L

Comment

I use the key arrow up of my keyboard to use bandage. So i force myself to search firstly a safe place before bandaging. Maybe it is an idea for you too.
            Intel I7-920 - 2,67ghz, 6 gb ram, nvidia gtx 560 TI twin fan 2gb, win7 64bit - Creative X-FI Xtreme soundcard.

Comment

Originally posted by Cwivey View Post
              You can see friendly satchels in the Tactical view, and in general, people ouughhttt to be calling them out more anyways. :L
              When I do people don't listen :/

as for the OP, These really don't seem like serious issues, ya some are mildly annoying but its not really that big of a deal.
              Last edited by Jpz38 Hetzer; 05-13-2014, 07:56 PM.
              Specs, Nvidia GTX 780 TI, 32gigs of Ram, AMD FX 8350 (8 cores) at 4.00 ghz Windows 7 64bit professional

HETZER SMASH!!!

Comment

Apart from being able to stop bandaging mid way through the process I think the rest are part of the game's appeal - the unknown.

Perhaps bandaging could be interrupted in much the same way as reloading can be interrupted.

As for more on screen bling telling my about out of bound zones and where friendly explosives are I think player skill and situational awareness needs to come into play here.

If your team mates are throwing satchels willy nilly without communicating then its not a game design problem its a player problem.

Do we really need to be spoon fed more information?

Comment

Originally posted by Cat_in_da_Hat View Post
                  Apart from being able to stop bandaging mid way through the process I think the rest are part of the game's appeal - the unknown.

Perhaps bandaging could be interrupted in much the same way as reloading can be interrupted.

As for more on screen bling telling my about out of bound zones and where friendly explosives are I think player skill and situational awareness needs to come into play here.

If your team mates are throwing satchels willy nilly without communicating then its not a game design problem its a player problem.

Do we really need to be spoon fed more information?
                  what do you mean player skill and situational awareness??? there is absolutely no way to know where the enemy spawn protection is unless you played the map 100 times. there is absolutely no reason not to have red section on the minimap to indicate spawn protection
                  it's annoying and unrealistic as it is, so why make it even more frustrating?

again, with the satchels, what player skill? calling it out? no one listens! why should you be kicked for other player's mistakes? -and now i don't throw them at my teammates, i throw them in empty areas, and suddenly someone oblivious runs in- how will it hamper the game if you will be informed of friendly satchels 10 meters away from you?

Comment

Originally posted by Jolly Jew View Post
                    how will it hamper the game if you will be informed of friendly satchels 10 meters away from you?
                    But the game does show you where teammate satchels are if you use tactical view.

Comment

It's good that people bring these things up were they then angry or not. There are many things indeed which needs improvements and best way to make TWI know it is to write to forums.

Cancelling the bandage animation and loading animation could be nice improvements indeed. Seeing the protected areas.. I don't know, perhaps on tactical view, perhaps. Knowning the aoe of artillery barrages.. "real commanders know roughly.." well indeed, you'll learn it, I learned it. I got kicked because of friendly artillery many times when I was new, but I got better. You don't have to play same map 100 times. Ofc knowning the map and its areas helps, but you'll learn "the touch" where you can go and put your markers. Usually not on enemy spawn.
                      Satchels are marked in tactical view and you usually shouldnt use them to kill enemy, only to destroy obstacles. If friendlies are too close to obstacle you can ask them to move away, it usually works for me. If they don't, its up to you will you throw the satchel.

Tips for artillery using:
                      -Use binoculars only if you're aiming far, otherwise its faster, safer and more accurate to use orders widget.
                      -Pressure your squad leaders to give you artillery markers, their job is to stay at frontline providing spawns/smoke & MARKERS. Commander is at the frontline from time to time, but he doesn't allways have time to get markers or he gets killed. So, its better that SL gives markers while commanders meanwhile provides recon. "Recon up, squad leaders check your maps and give me those coordinates. Hold the marker right there SL1. SL2 could you move your marker a bit closer to objective?".
                      -Usually its best idea to place artillery a bit behind to objective or at least to enemy side of the objective. Now your men can get to the objective, while artillery bounds the enemy on their side of the obj. or their reinforsement route.
                      -Keep keen eye on map where your men are advancing. If the first barrages took out the enemy team, and your men are now capturing the obj, you should cancel the artillery.
                      -Allways tell beforehand where you're shooting, what kind of artillery and is what's the goal. I use naval barrage/rocket artillery sometimes, and when I do that, I tell my team to hold their ground on safe distance and take cover. When the last barrage or last rounds are going in, you can already tell your team to move in.

Comment

not being able to cancel bandaging
                        I definitely don't like "the trance," but if you were bandaging a wound, your gun would be on the ground and both your hands would be occupied. If you noticed an enemy, it would take a couple seconds to get your gun in hand again, so I do think there should be a delay.

One option would be: you can cancel, but if you do, your gun is placed on the ground. That mixes the ability to cancel, with the realistic delay of needing to pick your weapon back up. Or the possibility of running around a corner without grabbing your gun--hope you had a sidearm, or things could get ugly!

You would still probably get killed most of the time, but at least you wouldn't be stuck watching helplessly as your guy is executed while in "the trance." I think the choice of grabbing your gun or running for cover would make things interesting in those situations.

not being able to melee/switch weapon while cycling the bolt
                        In regards to switching to your sidearm/other weapon, do exactly what a real soldier would do in that situation: drop your rifle. You can toss your rifle to the ground even mid-bolting and you will switch to your next gun. I think that's realistic and reasonable for a situation so desperate that you had to stop mid-way through cycling the action.

In regards to trying to bayonet while cycling the action, you choose to let the game take actions for you, and that comes with drawbacks. In the situation you described, in the real world, you would have made the decision to try your bayonet after you missed your shot, and you wouldn't have even started trying to cycle the action. But you give up that control when you let the game take actions for you.

If you had started cycling the action and tried to change your mind part way through, you'd probably fumble while fighting the muscle-memory of such a quick and practiced action, and then the half or fully open bolt would be hanging out the back, in the way of getting a proper grip with your right hand, which would probably distract you just long enough to get you killed. I don't think there's anything wrong with not being able to bayonet while the action was being cycled.

not being able to know the AOE of artillery barrages.
                        These weren't precision strikes, I think only having a rough idea of size helps compensate for the fact that the real ones would have been less precise and predictable.

not being able to see friendly satchel charges
                        I dislike icons and things like that on my screen, they ruin the sense of immersion. People can already see the icon with tactical view, I don't think it should be forced on people who aren't using tactical view. I've spent my fair share of time as an Engineer, I'm quite familiar with the idiots that pile on top of satchels, but I still wouldn't force an icon outside of tactical view.

One thing I do think would help, but isn't likely to happen, would be 3D VoIP. It would be more realistic, and I think more people would respond to warnings of a satchel, grenade, etc. if they knew the warning was coming from someone nearby rather than the current setup where it's just someone on their team who could be anywhere on the map. Even if you say where you put it, newer players often won't recognize where you're talking about, so a system where they knew the person talking was near them would make them far more likely to pay attention.

being able to request ammo if you are not a MG'er. why?
                        The reason everyone has the ammo request call is because resupply isn't actually class-specific, it's the weapon. I've been resupplied as a Rifleman because I had a BAR or LMG I grabbed off the ground. I suppose they could disable the button if you don't currently have a BAR or LMG on you, but I'm not sure how complicated that would be. I don't actually see that many people using the ammo request function though, so I rather doubt this would come in as a high priority change.

Comment

What you call "terrible design choices" are for many people the appeal of RO.
                          The game can be brutal and not being spoon fed info or being forced to make a choice on where to bandage or not make the difference between RO and many other easier to play games.
                          RO is not an easy game to play and I thank TWI for that because the sense of achievement you can gain from playing this game well is incomparable to so many other more tedious fps games.

One mans meat is another mans poison as they say..
                          sigpic
                          www.twiladder.com
                          I'm on a vodka diet, I've lost 3 days so far.

Comment

Originally posted by Korpisolttu View Post
                            -Pressure your squad leaders to give you artillery markers, their job is to stay at frontline providing spawns/smoke & MARKERS. Commander is at the frontline from time to time, but he doesn't allways have time to get markers or he gets killed. So, its better that SL gives markers while commanders meanwhile provides recon. "Recon up, squad leaders check your maps and give me those coordinates. Hold the marker right there SL1. SL2 could you move your marker a bit closer to objective?".
                            Actually, TL usually has far more freedom to get around (except for a couple of maps, like Barashka, where the arty timers are very short, or as attackers on Bridges, where the radio is way too far) than SLs do.

If a TL dies, the team loses one ticket. If a critical SL dies, the team can lose an objective or lose, full stop.

Planting markers is certainly not the most important task that SLs do, and they should focus on doing this only if it's safe or if they have an empty squad.

Comment

Originally posted by Grenator View Post
                              or as attackers on Bridges, where the radio is way too far)
                              in my opinion that also counts for the defenders for the first 3 objectives... you either stay far away back in the city or try to get on the bridge at the radio which has only a little bit cover from the attackers side
                              [IMG]http://s7.directupload.net/images/140327/jegoqi6j.gif[/IMG]

Comment

Working...
                              X