• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Exploding Flamethrower

"It should be noted that flame thrower operators did not usually face a fiery death from the slightest spark or even from having their tank hit by a normal bullet as often depicted in modern war films. The Gas Container [i.e. the pressurizer] is filled with a non-flammable gas that is under high pressure. If this tank were ruptured, it might knock the operator forward as it was expended in the same way a pressurized aerosol can bursts outward when punctured. The fuel mixture in the Fuel Containers is difficult to light which is why magnesium filled igniters are required when the weapon is fired. Fire a bullet into a metal can filled with diesel or napalm and it will merely leak out the hole unless the round was an incendiary type that could possibly ignite the mixture inside. This also applies to the flame thrower Fuel Container.[3]" Gordon, David. Weapons of the WWII Tommy

Upvote 0
If Ramm cares so much about realism then lets talk about the M2 guy running around at warp speed with a 68lbs flamethrower on his back and instantly killing anything that even slightly touches his magical flame of doom. In real life it had a burn time of 4-7 seconds, was horribly cumbersome and had an effective range of 20 meters. In game it just keeps on torching, might as well come with a pair of jogging shoes and wipes objectives clean of Jap troops in a few clicks of the M2 guys mouse. The M2 is a godlike joke of a weapon at this time and needs some serious reworking.

Upvote 0
But I have to agree that sometimes the kill radius of the flamethrower is too much e.g. when it slightly touches you and you throw your weapon into the sky; or and that happened to me this week: I was prone and the flamethrower fired over me and it instantly killed me. Maybe if it just touches you at the edge of the flamerange you should at least have the chance to shoot back, like the deathanimation when you are shot you could start to burn but still have time to live a few seconds.

Upvote 0
I agree that The flamethrower needs to cause a burning slow kill and not instant death. That would make the FT guy less out to rush forward like an assault trooper while torching everything in his path. The US already has way better weapons than the Japs even without the M2 guy effortlessly killing 15 people at a time in cap zones. Maybe they should just add the type 100 Japanese flamethrower so we can have one big cookout.

Upvote 0
I agree that The flamethrower needs to cause a burning slow kill and not instant death. That would make the FT guy less out to rush forward like an assault trooper while torching everything in his path. The US already has way better weapons than the Japs even without the M2 guy effortlessly killing 15 people at a time in cap zones. Maybe they should just add the type 100 Japanese flamethrower so we can have one big cookout.

Remember death in RO simulates actual death or some sort of incapacitation or unconsciousness... simply stated: Combat ineffective.

If I am on fire, I may still be alive for a short while longer, but I sure am not combat effective.

Upvote 0
True but when I am shot there is the dying animation in which I am still able to shoot back and I think the same thing would be appropriate for the flamethrower, but only when it hits you on the edge of the range of course.

I think there's a difference, here's one you can try at home. Turn on the stove in the kitchen, and put your hand on it. One second will do. Now pretend you have to shoot someone. Now do the same exercise after a volunteer jabs a fork into your thigh.

Using this exercise I think I can confirm that being even slightly on fire makes me pretty likely to be completely focused on putting it out.

Upvote 0
Someone should seriously add 'Exploding Flamethrower' to the list of Worst/Best Suggestions... and it doesn't fall into the latter category, for the record. :eek:

Of course, I'm all for nerfing the flamethrower so two guys can't hold off the whole Japanese Army with gouts of napalm while charging around like maniacs, but lets do it in a realistic way.

Upvote 0
Well I think the radius should be reduced slightly...but I think the biggest thing for fixing the flamer would be slightly lower run speed (like the MG) and have the gun do splash-back damage to the operator, ie. Cant torch somebody at point blank range and cannot torch people indoors. I think it's silly the flamer can run into an enclosed building light everybody up in a blaze of fire and then waltz out unhurt, or walk right up to you, hose you with flame from less than 3 feet and continue on his way.

Upvote 0