• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

exiting tanks

It'd be funny if they did implement exiting tanks, but gave it the proper animation for it. The lengthy time of crawling through the tank, through hatches, and up/down from the tank, all the while exposed to enemy fire and unable to do anything. All so you can walk around with a pistol instead of operating your heavily-armed tank. You can't get out quick enough to deal with enemy infantry (Who would murder you while you're trying to get out), and nobody would take the minute-plus of wasted time to get out, creep forward, scout out an area, creep back, get back in, and them move out. Hell, you'd spend more time getting in and out of your tank than you would waiting for a respawn.

It'd be funny simply because of how little it would be used. Of course, that makes the time spent to animate it a complete waste of time for a feature that would have little to no use.

But then again, superficial things like this seem to be a huge deal to some people. It's like the people arguing that the aesthetic of fixing and removing a bayonet is absolutely needed and its lack kills the game. It's an absurd overstatement.

I also find it amusing that this topic inverts the comparisons to other games. On most topics, "CoD/BF did this" is considered an insult, a simple shorthand for "this is a bad idea." Then this topic comes up and suddenly it's a good thing. Personally, I like comparing the tank handling to actual tank sims where, unsurprisingly, they don't include the ability to get out of the tank... Because it's something that is not done. There's a reason real-world tankers have the phrase "death before dismount." Let the crunchies do the walking.

I never was comparing the tank handling to other games, I had simply said that other games allow for you to get in and exit heavy vehicles, such as the military simulator ARMA.

And the bayonets aren't even part of this discussion, but for the sake of argument and go ahead and say we should be able to detach and reattach them at our will, what happened to realism where we could chose our loadouts?

Once I get to level 50 with the STG44 ill have no way to take off that hideous ****ty scope, which isn't cool.

The problem here is that tripwire can't implement features that have been around just as long as the first red orchestra very well, They are very bipolar.

Those are 2 features I expect to have when I buy a shooter, is the customization and freedom of my loadout and the battlefield.

I wish tripwire knew what they were doing a little more, because they game player numbers clearly show that they don't.

Just my 2 cents.

Upvote 0
And the bayonets aren't even part of this discussion, but for the sake of argument and go ahead and say we should be able to detach and reattach them at our will, what happened to realism where we could chose our loadouts?

Once I get to level 50 with the STG44 ill have no way to take off that hideous ****ty scope, which isn't cool.

The problem here is that tripwire can't implement features that have been around just as long as the first red orchestra very well, They are very bipolar.

Those are 2 features I expect to have when I buy a shooter, is the customization and freedom of my loadout and the battlefield.

I wish tripwire knew what they were doing a little more, because they game player numbers clearly show that they don't.

Just my 2 cents.

The next update to the game will include the option to select which upgrades you can have on your weapons.

Upvote 0
It'd be funny simply because of how little it would be used.
Well, I'd use it, especially with a nice long animation.
I just love such little features, in my opinion they just add a whole lot to the atmosphere.
I would even be satisfied if you could see the tankers crawling out of a destroyed tank with no gameplay effect whatsoever other than holding your coaxial-MG into the crowd.

Upvote 0
Men of war has a very nice tank exiting animation system. The soldiers tend to enter the tank through the hatch or the drivers position.

Also because of that there is no tank spamming because while exiting the drivers can get shot, but also if a module is damaged lets say the turret or the tracks is pretty annoying to go to the munition depo to repair your tank.

It should have something like a tool box to repair the tank from inside for turret damage, or outside for track damage. It shouldn't be something complicated just maybe a guy having a wrench and raising some bolts.

Upvote 0
It'd be funny if they did implement exiting tanks, but gave it the proper animation for it. The lengthy time of crawling through the tank, through hatches, and up/down from the tank, all the while exposed to enemy fire and unable to do anything. All so you can walk around with a pistol instead of operating your heavily-armed tank. You can't get out quick enough to deal with enemy infantry (Who would murder you while you're trying to get out), and nobody would take the minute-plus of wasted time to get out, creep forward, scout out an area, creep back, get back in, and them move out. Hell, you'd spend more time getting in and out of your tank than you would waiting for a respawn.

It'd be funny simply because of how little it would be used. Of course, that makes the time spent to animate it a complete waste of time for a feature that would have little to no use.

But then again, superficial things like this seem to be a huge deal to some people. It's like the people arguing that the aesthetic of fixing and removing a bayonet is absolutely needed and its lack kills the game. It's an absurd overstatement.

I also find it amusing that this topic inverts the comparisons to other games. On most topics, "CoD/BF did this" is considered an insult, a simple shorthand for "this is a bad idea." Then this topic comes up and suddenly it's a good thing. Personally, I like comparing the tank handling to actual tank sims where, unsurprisingly, they don't include the ability to get out of the tank... Because it's something that is not done. There's a reason real-world tankers have the phrase "death before dismount." Let the crunchies do the walking.

I'm with PhoenixDragon on this. While exiting tanks would be marginally useful, the RO style of handling it presents too many points to ridicule it on. Correcting these would result in a system where exiting a tank in the heat of combat would be treated as what it actually is: stupid and useless.

Upvote 0
I'm with PhoenixDragon on this. While exiting tanks would be marginally useful, the RO style of handling it presents too many points to ridicule it on. Correcting these would result in a system where exiting a tank in the heat of combat would be treated as what it actually is: stupid and useless.
that post did make an aweful lot of sense, didn't it? and i'm one of the ones who like to be able to exit the tank!:IS2:

Upvote 0
Honestly, I wouldn't mind the idea of leaving tanks, in concept. It's more a matter that it's going to be a large amount of work for something that would be used very little, if done right, or a moderate amount of work for something that would cause all sorts of frustrations if done poorly.

Of course there would also be the gameplay ramifications involved in detaching the tank-crew and tank spawns, though I'm sure that could be worked out. Ironically, bailing out of a tank and fighting on foot would actually decrease the frequency of tanks, which does give the idea a little more appeal to me...

But in the end, compared to the unrealistic tactics that occurred in RO1 because of the ability to instantly enter and leave tanks, locking the tank crew into the tanks is the more realistic option. In a video game, players will attempt all sorts of unrealistic stuff because it often works better than realistic stuff, and that was the case with the old tanks. The current method makes tankers behave closer to reality, as well as being better for general gameplay.

Perhaps when they've finished up other things and have more free resources they could revisit it, but I think it would be mis-aimed effort at the moment and largely unneeded.

Upvote 0