• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Why can't I hear the backstabbers?

The issue is with RO2 itself, more specifically the audio API, XAudio, thats designed for consoles, not PC.

Check out this thread: http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=78700[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=78700[/URL]

This is the main issue with audio in the game, a crappy audio engine. To fix these things the audio engine should be changed into OpenAL that is e.g. in ROOST and Unreal Tournament 3.

Easier said than done, and OpenAL is not exactly flawless either.

Upvote 0
Doesn't make much difference: the compression wave spreads out from the end of the muzzle in a roughly spherical shape with a baffle shadow created to the direct rear only because of the shooter's body. Make no mistake, close and unprotected proximity to sustained and repeated gunfire will eventually permanently damage your hearing, but you certainly won't be rendered deaf as a house post immediately (unless the weapon is discharged inches from your ear). Lying in the grass out of doors beside a dude rattling away was at times uncomfortable but bearable; it certainly wasn't deafening to the point of losing all sense of a presence behind me.

I don't play the beta so this is good news and something to test when it goes live. :)
Having been there, I'd have to dis-agree and say that it does make a difference. And as you indicate, it is often an accumulated effect. Also not only different calibers, but even different weapons of the same caliber will exhibit differing effects. The tinitus one can get from close proximity to large concussive explosions and/or repeated small arms fire can linger for weeks after the last unpleasant event. For me the tinitus is gone, the hearing loss is permanent and my vertigo seems to get worse (some days are fine, some are nauseating).

As I mention in one of the other threads, I really miss the overpowering arty sounds of RO1. It made one want to dig a hole in the ground and hide. For some reason, RO2 doesn't do that for me.

Upvote 0
Nothing is flawless, but OpenAL is immensely better than the current API and would fix most of the audio problems present right now.

I would agree with you that OpenAL has a much better positional sound(on windows XP). The problem with OpenAL however is that it's harder to work with, more prone to crashing and is lacking support.

Pretty much since Vista, Microsoft stopped supporting HAL due to many compatibility issues. Using a soundcard only resulted in minor improvements. The change from OpenAL to Xaudio2 wasn't one that TWI decided to do, it was a change that was implemented in newer versions of the UDK.

I'm not a huge fan of Xaudio2 myself when it comes to sound quality, but would you really want them to waste time on trying to make OpenAL work when it probably brings more instability than it provides advantages?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I would agree with you that OpenAL has a much better positional sound(on windows XP). The problem with OpenAL however is that it's harder to work with, more prone to crashing and is lacking support.

Pretty much since Vista, Microsoft stopped supporting HAL due to many compatibility issues. Using a soundcard only resulted in minor improvements. The change from OpenAL to Xaudio2 wasn't one that TWI decided to do, it was a change that was implemented in newer versions of the UDK.

I'm not a huge fan of Xaudio2 myself when it comes to sound quality, but would you really want them to waste time on trying to make OpenAL work when it probably brings more instability than it provides advantages?

Does anyone know what sound system the source engine uses?

Reason being, I don't recall there being any crashing or compatibility issues with it, it provides excellent positional audio putting RO2 to shame, and it doesn't appear to be particularly computationally intensive.

Upvote 0

I think youre confusing HAL with OpenAL, HAL was DirectSound3D, nowadays DirectSound basically is XAudio and it isnt even 3d anymore. OpenAL was supposed to replace Directsound/hal and is still used in new titles due to having good quality, being powerful, having hardware support and its open nature, freedom and interoperability between OS's

As I was playing the game today, noticed as a minor issue that theres still some crackling of the audio from time to time.

Also as I was crouching behind a burning tank looking out for enemies, I heard an enemy shouting behind me, turned around, but surprise surprise he wasnt behind me but 4 meters below ground in a bunker... And then I got shot :p

And since the most critical issues are being cleared out of the game, yes I would very much like to have openal, I wont be a happy customer without it, I feel like i was cheated (as I was) and I think sound is a very important thing, more so in an FPS claiming to be realistic.

Does anyone know what sound system the source engine uses?

Reason being, I don't recall there being any crashing or compatibility issues with it, it provides excellent positional audio putting RO2 to shame, and it doesn't appear to be particularly computationally intensive.
IIRC it uses Miles proprietary sound system, but still has support for Directsound3d as well as an alternative.

Upvote 0