Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

WIP Forum Upgrade

Please pardon our mess as we continue to iterate on the forum style, css and images. If you have any suggestions be sure to let us know in the off topic part of the forum!
2 of 2 < >

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Why can't I hear the backstabbers?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dr.Phibles View Post
    also do remember its rather hard to hear footsteps especialy if a battle is raging out the window your looking out of..
    True.... but if the battle is that close, usually someone coming at you from behind has to get through your buddies and fire off their weapon, thus if you hear an enemy's weapon being fired off behind you, or hear team mates getting killed behind you, or notice the guy you saw a few seconds ago behind you has their name pop up in the top right of the screen, then you might want to look around.

Even so, for me whether or not I hear or see anybody nearby, every few seconds I take a look around..... most times, I'm so used to the map layout and when/where people will be at a specific time of the round, than I can keep my eyes forward. When the enemy is near objectives I am at and surrounding via offence, I slap my extra eyes on the back of my head, but my ears usually work well enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt-Praxius View Post
      Bump the audio channels up in your audio settings. The higher the value, the more sounds you hear at one time. I had my settings at 64 and hear plenty.... enough to know what's going on around me anyways.

Whenever I get Bayo'd, it's usually from people I see coming, but was too late to react...... I heard them coming, turned to see them coming at me, but they were quicker than I was at aiming at them...... but I heard them.
      This doesn't fix it. I have had mine set to 128 from day one.
      [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/b7AQQ.jpg[/IMG]
      Current name ingame - [COLOR=LightBlue][B]killallmkb42s.exe[/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Originally posted by Cpt-Praxius View Post
        Bump the audio channels up in your audio settings. The higher the value, the more sounds you hear at one time. I had my settings at 64 and hear plenty.... enough to know what's going on around me anyways.

Whenever I get Bayo'd, it's usually from people I see coming, but was too late to react...... I heard them coming, turned to see them coming at me, but they were quicker than I was at aiming at them...... but I heard them.
        If I'm not mistaken normal onboard soundcards do not offer support for more than 32 channels, thus setting it to a higher value would either result in no improved sound quality, or maybe even a loss of sound in some situations.

I am pretty sure that soundcards like the Creative X-fi series is able to support 128 channels. Though soundcards are quite sensitive to interference and RO2 barely uses them for anything other than the sound output >.>.

Comment

I get the complaint, but the OP's example is not a good one. Realistically speaking, I don't think an MG gunner is going to have especially good hearing. Especially if all you're talking about is footsteps.

Comment

I just want to confirm that yes, this is an issue, and yes, it has major impact on gameplay.
            Supporting:
            Disapproving: progression, spawn on SL, spawns close to cap (RSOD)
            Since: beta 1.0 UT2003

Comment

Originally posted by MarioBava View Post
              I get the complaint, but the OP's example is not a good one. Realistically speaking, I don't think an MG gunner is going to have especially good hearing. Especially if all you're talking about is footsteps.
              Then lets put ourselfs in a situation of a sniper. Pavlovs house, in the B buiding as he tries to cover the top of the E building so svoiet infantry doesn't get mowed down instantly. As you observe in almost complete silence, SLASH!!
              Ninja'd.

Comment

Originally posted by Avtomat View Post
                Then lets put ourselfs in a situation of a sniper. Pavlovs house, in the B buiding as he tries to cover the top of the E building so svoiet infantry doesn't get mowed down instantly. As you observe in almost complete silence, SLASH!!
                Ninja'd.
                Right! That's a situation where it is a problem.

Comment

Indeed. I one of my games I was shot in the leg while running into the trench with HMG user decimating our troops. When I stabbed him in the back with a bayonett he said that "a mouse couldn't has been quieter". It was puzzling as I heard myself screaming in pain and literally limping...

Comment

I would like someone to record a minute or so of someone stood still whilst an enemy player runs around that player at varying distances and sometimes from behind sight blocking cover, and out of forward arc, so that I can hear these footsteps that some people say that they can hear. I would record one myself to demonstrate what isn't heard but there would be little point: just imagine the above staged scene being played out only being able to hear very feint clothing rustling from the guy on the move, no footfalls.

Who among the aurally blessed is prepared to show us deafened mooks what we’re missing?

(I've tried adjusting the audio channels and all of the other suggested tweaks over the months but nothing brings back the footfalls. I am using onboard sound tho, but that's never been a problem in any other FPS that I've played - even the cluggy monstrosity that is ArmAII. Haven't tried the beta.)
                    [B][COLOR="White"]defekt[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

The lack of surround sound is one of my biggest complaints with RO2....One can never really know where an enemy or teammate is.....MY footsteps are incredibly loud yet no one else makes noise ( except in the beginning of a map).

Odd that most every game out there these days can deliver true surround sound and have for many years.

RO2 offers "simulated stereo" at best.

Comment

Just want to say that it does not matter having a sound card, I'm running the creative Xi-Fi sound card and even on 128 I'm missing death screams and some footsteps. This is not our fault, but the devs and it has been fixed in an unreleased alpha/beta build.

Comment

I was actually paying attention last night during a quiet spot on Pavlov's house in the square when I heard footsteps behind me. I turned around and there was a friendly coming up behind me. Granted he wasn't an enemy, but I did hear him when no firing was going on.

Oh, I actually do get surround sound with gunfire, voices etc...

Comment

Originally posted by =GG= Mr Moe View Post
                            I was actually paying attention last night during a quiet spot on Pavlov's house in the square when I heard footsteps behind me. I turned around and there was a friendly coming up behind me. Granted he wasn't an enemy, but I did hear him when no firing was going on.
                            If footfalls are being cut because of network prioritization then I would argue that footfalls have absolutely the wrong priority. To have a modern FPS not play footfalls when it matters most, i.e., when the faecal matter is hitting the atmospheric circulator, is all but criminal IMHO.
                            [B][COLOR="White"]defekt[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

I still don't get why TWI dumped the sound engine that comes with UT3. It was great, it uses your sound card, great surround sound etc.

Maybe TWI felt that the number of people owning a soundcard is on the decline, and they went with a "generic" sound system 'to reach a bigger crowd'. Bleh!
                              Last edited by Proud_God; 05-08-2012, 09:45 AM.
                              Supporting:
                              Disapproving: progression, spawn on SL, spawns close to cap (RSOD)
                              Since: beta 1.0 UT2003

Comment

Originally posted by Proud_God View Post
                                Maybe TWI felt that the number of people owning a soundcard is on the decline, and they went with a "generic" sound system 'to reach a bigger crowd'. Bleh!
                                Hmm... that sounds familiar...
                                [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/b7AQQ.jpg[/IMG]
                                Current name ingame - [COLOR=LightBlue][B]killallmkb42s.exe[/B][/COLOR]

Comment

Working...
                                X