• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Artillery + Off-shore bombardment

Moody

Jun 19, 2010
So obviously I expect the game will have ROHOS's well done artillery system in some form or another. So I thought, it would be pretty awesome if you could call in an off-shore bombardment, and actually see the ships firing before the round impact (only when it's appropriate to the map off course). So this would be applicable to a map like Iwo Jima.

Interesting data here about the effect of a 16" gun's shell:

RE:Blast radius for artillery shells 3/2/2004 3:07:44 AM
Heh interesting note on 16 inch shells, okay so its overkill, but anyways, while these types of shells are more designed to penetrate hard targets, they have a huge lethal radius, anything within 150 yards of the shell burst is dead from concussion alone, they create a crater well over 30 ft in diameter and I believe 20-25 ft deep (although these numbers might even be on the smaller side). Past concussion blast radius anyone standing has an extremely good chance of going blind or deaf or even cause temporary insanity. None of this even counts the shrapnel coverage area.

From here: http://www.strategypage.com/militaryforums/4-452.aspx#startofcomments ... dunno the sources , though

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Some slightly thread ressurection. :)

I guess RS will use the same artillery system as base RO2 but I think it would be nice of some things are maybe a bit different. At first there should only be artillery support if it is accurate and not breaking the balance of a map. As a example there should be no big artillery strike option of there was no artillery support in the actual battle for one side. As example take Pelelu.

When the u.s troops actually attacked the area and the airfield the navy already finished their bombardment and thought the had "no more targets to shoot at" while most defensive positions of the japanese forces where still intact. So that would mean that the allied side should have not access to heavy artillery strikes, maybe you could give them the option call in mortar strikes after they reach a certain cap zone. The japanese forces instead should have access to their heavy artillery and mortar strikes.

RO2 has rocket strikes which are pretty good to clear out a enemy position without blocking it for own troops since it is a single strike and not fires in salvoes. Rocket strikes would not really fit into RS but one idea I had would be calling a airstrike instead that would do something similar to the rocket strike. I know it would be more work to do that since it is more than just a artillery strike spawning on top of the marked zone but it would be pretty cool if something like that would happen.

Upvote 0
What would probably work better would be airstrikes.

Like, you could have fighters fly over and drop some bombs on the marked spot. It might also give you the option to shoot some down, thereby weakening the amount of destruction, though that would be a coding and balance nightmare.

But still, a series of bombs being dropped by a fighter would have a manageable damage area than a cannon shell from a battleship. Plus, it would be fun to hide in the bushes and watch the enemies run for cover at the sound of the airplanes coming. XD

Upvote 0