• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New bullet effect

Raneman

Grizzled Veteran
Jan 12, 2011
There's a nice way to create bullet effects, that was recently used in games like sniper elite and RDR. Basically, you take where they get hit, and you paste a small bullet wound gib model on there. It's a small change, but it makes bullet hits look very good.

RDR Entry wound:
NcAVT.png

Sniper Elite Entry wound:
CF7F5F3D47808A39A5476622BACE89E5E6CDD607

Sniper Elite Exit Wound:
1E159F13FE616DC975FCF93F461CB8D600CEB81C

Upvote 0
In a game like RO2 - especially a game like RO2 - this would most likely murder everyone's performance. In SE2 you're generally firing single, well-aimed shots, and in RDR you are not putting 71 rounds into someone in a matter of seconds. Imagine if someone walks around a corner and gets panic-sprayed with a full PPSh mag... that's 71 entries, 71 exits, and many thousands of additional polygons and textured surfaces on one player alone.

I do like the feature, but not everyone has a NASA-spec PC and RO2 has had rather severe performance issues previously. I'd rather they didn't make a return.

What I would like to see is the blood effects worked on a little. Even on high settings the impacts look like a blurry red smudge rather than a wound, and the spray against walls and floors and what have you doesn't look much better. I miss RO1's blood textures and spurting arteries, they made the game a lot more immersive and rather more disturbing (which would fit well with RO2's death screams, when they start working for everyone again...).

Upvote 0
Fine for eye candy, and fun to see where you actually got the guy, but not so good for performance, I would think. However, I guess you wouldn't necessarily have to have it make one for every hit...there could be a max of 3 or have it be on a user-controlled slider for amount of "detail" (number of allowed models to be pasted) which could go from 0 (off) to 1 to who knows how high for the max number. But we already know according to TWI that RO2 pushes polygon counts pretty high (remember the Pavlov's bricks controversy?)...adding potentially so many polygons for corpses that are not going to be around to look at for long seems like an injudicious addition, even if it is only very simple geometry for each wound.

Last edited:
Upvote 0