• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Overhaul of Class System

Overhaul of Class System

• This is an important issue

Votes: 7 70.0%
  • This is not an important issue

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • Indifferent / Other

Votes: 2 20.0%

• Total voters

Nightingale

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
This is just something to ponder and consider for RO2's future.

I remember reading a while back that due to the way Countdown mode worked, TWI had to program both the Germans and Soviets to have identical class distributions. As it currently stands, a RO2 mapper is restricted to using the provided class names, weapon combinations, and class allotments. I feel this severely limits a mapper's creativity when designing an asymmetrically-balanced map. Ultimately, I believe that keeping this class system will significantly reduce RO2's lifespan in the long-run (provided that the gameplay refinements and free weekend are a success).

If TWI were to perform a complete overhaul of RO2's class system, I'd imagine it would be quite a bit of work. Many of the current game mechanics are tied to it, including the SDK itself.

What do you guys think? Is this important enough an issue that TWI should re-do a bunch of their coding so the mappers can create more unique maps? Or does the amount of work outweight the benefits?