• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Classic to replace all other modes

Classic to replace all other modes

• Total voters
I prefer classic mode but don't want it to replace all other modes. I also like realism.

However, I think that 2 modes as initially planned are enough. Any further will make the differences not being noticable quickly by new players (especially when they can be customized) and so, hurt each mode as players get confused.

TWI initially tried to push through their mode of "how it's meant to be played" with basically offering realism and relaxed while the differences were as little as huds. That hasn't been very successfull as it seems and we can put it under "trial and error". But instead of making a bigger distinction between those 2 modes, a 3rd mode pops up that initially should have been in as requested by the community.
I welcome TWI's efforts of changing, but too many meals make you undecisive to pick your favorite dish.

Upvote 0
I wonder where all these RO VETS are hiding. If a great deal of us Ro Vets gets into the game it is possible to improve it in so many ways. It can be a community effort. We can sail this boat in the right direction. Not only the Vets, but everyone.

Action Mode will most likely be a mode filled with bots. It’s certainly NOT going to cater more people than Classic Mode. It wont bring back even half of the 10,000 players that were there in the beginning. Not even half of that. At maximum, maybe three or four. Most action players and normal roplayers. RO2 is simply to inaccessible. Action Mode will be another half-made mixed mode. It was over six months since release. Most mainstream players have most likely droped the game.

Relaxed Realism is definely not the most popular mode. I bet this was the reason why Realism Mode never was developed to be so realistic as it could be because then most servers would run it - and smoke out casual players. Relaxed Realism is most likely not going to get any bigger than it is. I believe it’s more likely that it gets smaller.

Now there is two modes left: Realism and Classic. I believe that it’s here things are going to happen for real.

When Classic Mode is released it will most likely make Realism Mode take a blow because there is going to be a crossover of players from Realism to Classic. How big it is - I don’t know. What I do now is that we must all help eachothers to make this crossover increase. It’s vital that all Ro Vets return when Classic Mode is release. If big communities such as ROladder would forgive and get back on their feets they could make an effort and focus to get new mods, tweaks, maps, weapons - you name it - exclusively for Classic Mode servers only, players would increase in Classic. With good marketing on the bigger fansites, but also sites tied to games like Arma, it may be possible to increase the flow to Classic.

Upvote 0
I wonder where all these RO VETS are hiding. If a great deal of us Ro Vets gets into the game it is possible to improve it in so many ways. It can be a community effort. We can sail this boat in the right direction. Not only the Vets, but everyone.

Well I am an RO vet and im not hiding...Ive enjoyed RO2 since it came out... I have also been on the classic beta test server playing unlike most of the RO vets.. They appear to have every reason under the sun not to take part. That is of course their right. I assume most of them will pick apart classic once it goes live.......it just appears to me that not taking part allows them the option of whining later......My opinion is based on the crying have seen from then thus far....your mileage may vary....

Upvote 0
I tell you Cyper, you are just so extremely negative about everything :p

I'd be thrilled to hear something positive, anything, even if its not about the game such as 'boy I'm glad the sun is shining' or 'damn that was a good pint of beer' ;)

Actually, I am not.

Regarding RO2 - of course. I am hugely disappointed with the game and Tripwire's direction with it. It's easy for people who enjoy or partly enjoy the game to tell how negative someone who doesn't like the game is.

Upvote 0
I tell you Cyper, you are just so extremely negative about everything :p

I'd be thrilled to hear something positive, anything, even if its not about the game such as 'boy I'm glad the sun is shining' or 'damn that was a good pint of beer' ;)

Ah...... a breath of fresh air!! :)

Actually, I am not.

Regarding RO2 - of course. I am hugely disappointed with the game and Tripwire's direction with it. It's easy for people who enjoy or partly enjoy the game to tell how negative someone who doesn't like the game is.

Haven't you yet realized you've gotten your message out there? Every topic, every thread... you are in there nailing the Game RO2 and TWI. :(

Upvote 0
Mike Nomad said:
Haven't you yet realized you've gotten your message out there? Every topic, every thread... you are in there nailing the Game RO2 and TWI.
He's just expressing his opinion in a polite manner... While some (most?) people might have grown tired of listening to it, this alone can't be the reason for moderating his posts. That would be an overkill. Removing an aggressive posts is one thing, stating one's thoughts in a civil manner is entirely another.

Cyper - You know, while there is some merit that investing time and effort into something that might fall is - from an ultimate standpoint - a waste of resources and time of the TWI I have to point out that there is a question why the vanilla version didn't manage to catch a large amount of players. I'd agree that the game was still very hard for them (and too easy for other part of the community). Question is: how much of the effort might it take to appeal to the players wishing for more Action-like mode?

Maybe it's just a matter of right corrections? It even fits with your signature. Maybe it needs a bit of a little more effort put into it. Action mode is done on the free time, as an experiment. If it will succeed - with right adjustments that the vanilla game had not enough - then TWI will benefit and will expand. I think it'd be a good thing for all of us as the more money TWI will get from their playerbase the more they can spend on their projects later on. If it will fall then they'll know that they should focus on Classic and Realism. It's as simple as that. I am not sure if there is anything to be worried about, because in either case Realism and Classic will still be supported.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cyper is absolutely right and I admire his courage to open up a thread and appeal to this issue, despite the intrudences of random thread parasites (Mike).

I understand TW's desire to make the game popular but in this case it completely spoiled it. Instead of working on improving the historically accurate aspects of the game that would make more people interested they're regressing towards gimmicky game modes that won't render anything positive into RO2.

Last edited:
Reactions: ross and TrOOper
Upvote 0
Some may think he is absolutely right, but his own poll shows that by 3 to 1 people think he is absolutely wrong.....

It appears the latest "rooster" gimmick is to whine by poll..As the roosters have said throughout this forum when classic was being made, you dont have to play it..It wont affect what you play in any way...Action mode is not affecting you in any way either......

Upvote 0
Developing some of half-made modes wasn't a good idea in the beginning. Codemasters did exactly the same thing with OFP: Red River. Ironically enough, ''Hardcore Mode'' in Red River followed the same philosophy: Remove HUD and its all good.

Forget right or wrong.

These modes are the cause to a lot of fractions inside the community. If we actually listen to critics on this board, or on Metacritic where there are various user reviews, there is a lot of complaints regarding lack of realism, to much realism, and unstable, buggy and laggy gameplay. There is no need to even have an opinion about that - its already there! These modes have made the community look and walk in all kinds of directions. Its simply not possible to do that and do it well!

If we take all these suggestions, response, polls, discussions - and pretend all this was aimed to improve one mode, the outcome for that mode would have been better. But that was never the case in the beginning. Neither is it right now. The heads are still spinning around, a few other needles is being dropped into the haystack. Some minor things is done to one mode, and then its time to jump to another mode and do the opposite. Its not about doing it well but doing it.

Its not a coincidence that the player count dropped from 10,000 to

Last edited:
Upvote 0
He's just expressing his opinion in a polite manner... While some (most?) people might have grown tired of listening to it, this alone can't be the reason for moderating his posts. That would be an overkill. Removing an aggressive posts is one thing, stating one's thoughts in a civil manner is entirely another. ----- snip -----

Yep I agree ...please understand; Its as you say, people are growing not only tired but weary of seeing him in thread after thread negatively harping on TWI and RO2. Whether its polite or impolite, it is IMHO, to a point that's bordering on totally inexcusable. Hopefully, for the sake of TWI and RO2 he'll lighten up rather than continue in this repetitious negative venue. Certainly, its rather easy to realize its not benefiting TWI, its future and/or RO2.

IOW, enough is enough.

Upvote 0
Yep I agree ...please understand; Its as you say, people are growing not only tired but weary of seeing him in thread after thread negatively harping on TWI and RO2. Whether its polite or impolite, it is IMHO, to a point that's bordering on totally inexcusable. Hopefully, for the sake of TWI and RO2 he'll lighten up rather than continue in this repetitious negative venue. Certainly, its rather easy to realize its not benefiting TWI, its future and/or RO2.

IOW, enough is enough.

The best thing you can do is put well reasoned, well thought out, respectable counter arguments. If you don't you automatically look like you are disregarding his points without actually thinking about the content, which actually makes his points look more legit as you apparently can't think of a good counter-argument and go straight to "its negative therefore its bad and should be silenced".

Also, the worst thing you can do is try to shut someone up who genuinely believes what he's saying. He will just shout it louder and believe more in what he's saying as it seems someone obviously want to hide it for some reason. Because its true and should be covered up? If its put across without being overtly insulting then just let people get it out of their system, and then put you own counter arguments or just leave it be. People reading will make up their own minds

Upvote 0
The best thing you can do is put well reasoned, well thought out, respectable counter arguments. If you don't you automatically look like you are disregarding his points without actually thinking about the content, which actually makes his points look more legit as you apparently can't think of a good counter-argument and go straight to "its negative therefore its bad and should be silenced".

Also, the worst thing you can do is try to shut someone up who genuinely believes what he's saying. He will just shout it louder and believe more in what he's saying as it seems someone obviously want to hide it for some reason. Because its true and should be covered up? If its put across without being overtly insulting then just let people get it out of their system, and then put you own counter arguments or just leave it be. People reading will make up their own minds

Yep, quite true.

Upvote 0
Pampering the devs and glossing over the game's faults helps nobody. Sure some people take it too far, or perhaps pick the wrong fault to be calling out, but to suggest that the game is dying due to 'negativity' on the forums when TWI's defenders themselves claim the forums are unread by most of the game's players, rather than because of a troubled launch, complete reneging on several statements (and in some cases outright promises) made to the community pre-launch, and a generally poor attitude towards criticism (be it valid or not). Several people I have spoken to who do not even know where to find these forums already have strong opinions on the game either via word of mouth or their own unpalatable experiences.

Making the game into what the core RO community wants - existing players, not casuals TWI hopes to draw in or even milsimmers were TWI to totally change their mind and go down that path - will fix that negative connotation that the names "Red Orchestra 2" and "Tripwire Interactive" bear for a lot of people. Repeatedly posting about it will not. The thread has a poll for a reason and other members are entirely capable of posting their own thoughts, stop acting as though you are some spokesman for the entire community because you most certainly are not.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
Pampering the devs and glossing over the game's faults helps nobody. Sure some people take it too far, or perhaps pick the wrong fault to be calling out, but to suggest that the game is dying due to 'negativity' on the forums when TWI's defenders themselves claim the forums are unread by most of the game's players, rather than because of a troubled launch, complete reneging on several statements (and in some cases outright promises) made to the community pre-launch, and a generally poor attitude towards criticism (be it valid or not). Several people I have spoken to who do not even know where to find these forums already have strong opinions on the game either via word of mouth or their own unpalatable experiences.

Making the game into what the core RO community wants - existing players, not casuals TWI hopes to draw in or even milsimmers were TWI to totally change their mind and go down that path - will fix that negative connotation that the names "Red Orchestra 2" and "Tripwire Interactive" bear for a lot of people. Repeatedly posting about it will not. The thread has a poll for a reason and other members are entirely capable of posting their own thoughts, stop acting as though you are some spokesman for the entire community because you most certainly are not.

You are right Ross..... What can I say, when you are right - you are right.

Yep, as long as you insult TWI and the game respectfully.... Its all ok.

That's where this seems to be leading. So I'll go along with it.

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
Another way of looking at it is being cruel to be kind. Sometimes you just have to say something someone might not want to hear, because its kinder for them to know what you believe to be the truth in the long run. Before they carry on past the point where its too late to correct the errors because the damage is already done. People don't intend to be insulting or to rub TWI's nose in it. Quite the opposite probably

That doesn't imply that I think Cyper is right necessarily, but its really important to analyse things from multiple sides without letting any allegiance or bias creep in to modify your opinions, or to dictate what you think is acceptable to be said.

You might see negativity but someone else might just see another side of an argument. One they don't necessarily agree with but one that has the right to be said. Even Tripwire themselves have stated they value all feedback whether its positive or negative, as long as it remains respectfully expressed. They don't have to agree, but it should be allowed to be said in the first place without someone telling them to shut up on the principle of it not showing TWI in a positive light

Upvote 0
What can I say?? You're right. Cheers!

Cool :) . Another thing is transparency from TWI. This they really improved on but some might still be curious over certain things. Without transparency we will end up seeing lots of negative speculation over motives and create a sense of suspicion from the playerbase. Doesn't mean everyone needs to know exactly whats going on but knowing TWI's side on things can help allow people see their reasoning and maybe end up agreeing with them too.

I mean one way of looking at Action mode is TWI want to ditch what they see as a small hardcore group, or they just want to help fund RO so they can continue to make a hardcore shooter. Rebuilding trust and brand/company loyalty in their fanbase is pretty important at this point

Upvote 0
You are right Ross..... What can I say, when you are right - you are right.

Yep, as long as you insult TWI and the game respectfully.... Its all ok.

That's where this seems to be leading. So I'll go along with it.
Pointing out flaws that need attention, or suggesting changes, in a constructive manner is not insulting. Coming into threads and making snarky posts which contribute absolutely nothing to the debate and creating low-content threads lamenting that people don't share your opinions, on the other hand, is.

Upvote 0