• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

If there is ever another RO game

Falkenhorst

Grizzled Veteran
Mar 12, 2011
Remember RO is a niche game. It will not compete with the bigger names and will not attract players from them. RO is a game for people looking for a realistic WWII FPS without any gimmicks.

Things that don't belong:

1. Unlocks
2. Battle chatter
3. Voices that are in anything other than German or Russian.
4. Moral systems
5. Prototype weapons
6. Different game types. RO only needs one.

Stick to what made the mod and RO:O great. Full ballistics model, realistic damage, iron sights, free-aim, weapon handling, movement speeds, large open maps and vehicles.

Personally I think its a mistake to rule out everything just because it didn't work in this instance. The unlock system could have been done a lot better. If we had the Hero system as originally envisioned and with a more "sidegrade" style unlock system rather than straight upgrades it could have been fine. They could have done cosmetic unlocks too. Straight stat upgrades is also not a good idea for the game type imo..uniform/model changes is good though

Battle chatter is fine, but I just don't like the cartoony sound of the voices and some quirks with talking at bad or unlikely moments. Native is much better imo, try it in beta

Moral system is alright, its a bit overdone though for me

Prototypes for heroes or 1 guy per team would be fine imo, as long as they weren't OP

Different game types are fine, its just that there aren't enough players to have servers with too many different game modes. Countdown can be fun, and can be completely awful depending on the map or objective you're fighting over. It could be more seamless and less jarring with the spawning and delay between objectives and constant team swapping. A lot of the objectives were too small on some maps like FallenFighters or Barracks. Spartanovka was good though imo. People initial impressions of Countdown were made on FallenFighters, just because of map voting issues would always make that map come on for the first few weeks, and you would fight over 1 small objective with nade spam right at the start. It just wasn't fun and gave people a bad impression of the game mode, so they went back to Territory

I think a straight CS type game mode could work, even with just bolts only or something like that, instagib style.

RO2 just didn't get it right in a bunch of areas, but it could definitely reach a bigger audience than Ostfront while still retaining the aspects that made it fun. I still think that even without half the stuff they put into RO2 they could have done better than they have now, just by targetting the same sort of players as Ostfront (not literally the same players, just people with similar tastes). RO1 was in no way uber hardcore anyway, it was very accessible realism.

I have a feeling this is the last RO game though, sadly. Theres a lot of room for interpretation when it comes to "what went wrong" with RO2, and I expect something you could assume would be that RO couldn't be fun for anything but a small niche, but RO2 never actually released as a popular RO game anyway so we will probably just never know its true potential. I just don't think TWI will have the energy to do another, for players they may not actually want to develop for if they will just turn around and hate their work. I think you have to make the most of RO2 and any future mods and maybe look forward to Killing Floor 2 for the next TWI game. I doubt RO3 could ever have the hype and build up of RO2, just because people won't have as much interest as they did for RO2. There are a LOT of players, whole clans and communities who wrote RO2 off shortly after release and may never have interest in it again

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Remember RO is a niche game. It will not compete with the bigger names and will not attract players from them. RO is a game for people looking for a realistic WWII FPS without any gimmicks.

1. Unlocks
2. Battle chatter
4. Moral systems
5. Prototype weapons

Stick to what made the mod and RO:O great. Full ballistics model, realistic damage, iron sights, free-aim, weapon handling, movement speeds, large open maps and vehicles.

Well that's your opinion.

Upvote 0
I don't really agree. Some of those features could have been great if the implementation had been more consistent.

Stat boosts and straight upgrades to weapons probably can't ever work in this type of game.

Prototype weapons - ok with appropriate rarity.

Different game types - not a problem. I quite enjoy Countdown and occasionally even Firefight. A plant / defuse satchel charge game might be ok too. The trick is to balance dev time against the possible popularity of any new mode, to avoid wasted effort.

Morale systems - the hero system for suppression bonuses is fine, as is a squad leader/commander bonus. People do perform better when the boss is watching. If you mean the suppression system as a whole, it's essential to realistic gameplay and if anything could be stronger (as in DH).

Battle chatter is also ok - it just needs some tweaking so your avatar doesn't say "he got me"when you take fall damage, or "I've got him pinned" when you shoot an enemy through the head with the second round of a burst.

Upvote 0
Tell me: where are these crowds now?

TWI broke with
-the tank fans, two silly tanks and one boring map are just not enough + due to the unnecessary tank animations, noone will ever bring more tanks into the game

-the RO fans that stood at their side sometimes since the mod times, by creating not the RO they wanted

-the realism fans by creating a game with unrealistic MG sway and a lack of realism even in the "Realism" mode

-the normal player by having until now only 10 boring maps to offer

-the clans by only supporting Wondows servers, by giving them a bad game and because the ladder is dead

-the action COD gamers by bringing a game that was too realistic for them (and a crosshair won't change this, this game just wasn't made for COD style)

SO: tell me, who do they want to attract?
They failed on all fronts.

Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0
old whine anyone..??;)
wine.jpg

Upvote 0

1. Unlocks
2. Battle chatter
4. Moral systems
5. Prototype weapons

Its your opinion, I for once like them all. Except for the accented english voices.

Upvote 0
Well, the answer is: no.
And i formerly suggest you to not wait for RO3.

Tripwire is no more a small Indie Studio. Now, large crowd and common gameplay is the way to go for them. Business business.

There is Jackboot game from some of the ex DH devs. But i actually don't expect to much from them.

Myself, i think i will finally and unfortunately completely switch to the Arma series. I prefer clunky game play than streaks and unlocks.

Upvote 0
Well, the answer is: no.
And i formerly suggest you to not wait for RO3.

Tripwire is no more a small Indie Studio. Now, large crowd and common gameplay is the way to go for them. Business business.

There is Jackboot game from some of the ex DH devs. But i actually don't expect to much from them.

Myself, i think i will finally and unfortunately completely switch to the Arma series. I prefer clunky game play than streaks and unlocks.

Agreed.

There is also invasion '44 which might be something.

Upvote 0
This game is the fail of the year!!!
TWI has made a big mistake, not listening to the Community (Already Alphatesters complainted about the changes in gameplay) and trying to be sexy for the Cod Generation.
What Ro1 made famous was that is was unique in gameplay. May not everything was in a sense realistic and perfect, but the whole package made the game something special compared to other shooters. When i first played Red Orchestra 1 i was impressed how a game could satisfy me in such a way. It was so cool to change firemodes and the mg barrel, to attach Bayos, to employ mgs, the whole battlefield feeling (sounds of dying soldiers arround you, heavy arty strikes, cracking bullets, heavy surpression , deadly tanks, tracers of heavy mg fire).
Ro2 doesnt give me nothing of those feelings (not because the missing content), its just another stereotypical 0815 shooter like 1000 of other shooters on the market.
Its like Iron Maiden decides one day to play Pop.

Last edited:
Reactions: TrOOper
Upvote 0

1. Unlocks
2. Battle chatter
4. Moral systems
5. Prototype weapons

Oh please tell me, what is wrong with different game modes and battle chatter?

Upvote 0
Ro1 didnt needed 1000 of different gameplaytypes, when i played it for the first time it was hard compared to other shooters. But I have improved and earned some skills during time of playing this game. Adding 1000 of different gameplaytypes splits up the small community. Ro needs only one gameplaytype !
Battle Chatters sounds ridiculous arcadsish. I hate how childish it sounds, it doesnt implement battlefieldfeeling.

Upvote 0
Wait OP are you implying that since RO1 is a niche game that it should remain that way?

That they shouldn't expand and implement new features, systems, and gamemodes that will attract more crowds of people?

Yes, because they can't attract the mainstream to RO anyway, all they can do by attempting that is drive away the RO fans.

RO is simply never going to work as a mainstream game, it offers the mainstream nothing they want that they aren't already getting elswhere, by games that does it even better and on much larger budgets.

RO will never be a contender, even if they sell out the title 100% and make it about Americans fighting Terrorists in a modern warfare setting, which is what the mainstream thinks is "cool" right now, even then, they woulden't have a snowball's chance in hell.

Others already tried that, like MoH:Tier1 and Homefront, and what happened to those games?

When it comes to arcade military shooters, there is no competing with CoD or BF, those games are not just the most popular, they have become institutions, just like WOW did for the MMO scene, and CS once did for the modding scene, and nothing can hope to compete with that, absolutely nothing, bigger and richer companies than TWI have tried and failed (that includes EA! They poured hundreds of millions into MoH:Tier1, and it failed!), and they did so with games that were far better suited to the attempt than RO would ever be.

You want to succeed with a military shooter today? Then you have to aim it at the players who do not play CoD and/or BF, you have to go to the niches, just like RO used to do, and the "Realism" niche is probably the biggest niche they can aim the game at (it's both reasonably big, and is most certainly not getting what it wants from CoD and BF), and above all, you need to offer something unique that the niche wants.

It'll never become a cash-cow like CoD when you aim at a niche, but you will make money, whereas if you try to fish from the same lake as CoD and BF, you'll just get raped by them.

That's not to say TWI can't or shoulden't try to expand and make money on more mainstream titles, afterall it's good to have a cash-cow to keep the company funded, it will not only make you money but also give you the financial freedom to make more risky or low-yield games that you are passionate about making, but RO is not the cash-cow and never will be, KF is, and possibly they will a new IP aswell down the line, RO is the one they should make because they care.

And if TWI nolonger cares enough to make a good RO game if it doesen't make them rich, then they should stop making RO games and just continue making mainstream bubblegum titles.

Upvote 0
Well that's your opinion.

Falkenhorst would give you reps for life if I only could (not that these stupid symbols even matter at all, it's more of a metaphor for one's benevolence)

Cpt-Praxius I really don't mean to offend and I have always admired your very noble, clever, compelling and exceptional asseverations in your posts. But the fact that so many people have made you red just SEEM to show how parasitic are your objections. Not saying that are wrong beacuse everyone has their own opinion as you've said but just extremely antagonistic to us "the more tactical than arcadish proponents" even though bizarrely you've been RO player or even RO mod player just as we were. It feels like as if you were one of those internet soldiers that are paid to defend at all cost the influential people's side with well elaborated statements.
I don't know if that's truth or not, but one thing I know that the reputation is made by the "real" people.

^^^^ Very well made post Grobut. Just 100% truth. TWI has made a huge mistake, and now they're just simmering in their own fallacy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0