Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Spawning tanks further back.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spawning tanks further back.

Right now I (and I hope many others feel) tanks are not done as okay as we'd hope. You can see for yourself that many servers turned tanks OFF due to various issues. I know TWI members acknowledged issues about AI tanking and such and that's sweet now we'll get that fixed ^__^

But theres another thing, it's the importance of tanks. Right now they feel like they are giant pieces of infantry, that spawn with infantry, have the same respawn timer as infantry, and such. Once you kill a tank, it'll appear in less than 1 minute or so, making you (as the defending tank or AT rifle class) feel pretty much useless to your team cause you're just buying them time from the tank for just a minute, until the tank comes back and wrecks even more of your team.

My solution to this is to move the tank spawns back further back than infantry spawn, and have tanks on their own seperate respawn time that is a tad longer than infantry respawns. I think in my opinion that it'll make tanks a bit more valuable and make it more rewarding when you destroy them, because it buys your team time to move in towards an objective and gives your team's tank more time to help clear the enemy infantry.

There's not much else to it. I made a cute colorful diagram to explain it ^__^

Last edited by Extension7; 04-25-2012, 06:45 PM.
    Formerly Extremity
    Specs: 8GB RAM, GTX 460, i5-3570k

Not allowing players to exit from a vehicle has had all sorts of knock-on effects for RO2, not the least of which being a tank respawning as quickly as a dead infantryman. Another knock-on effect is the artificial super-charging of all anti-tank rifles into anti-matter railguns to help combat this rapidly respawning rolling thunder. (Such things cheapen close infantry support armour in RO2.) There are arguments for and against locking players into their vehicles and I
    [B][COLOR="White"]defekt[/COLOR][/B]

Comment

Originally posted by defektive View Post
      Not allowing players to exit from a vehicle has had all sorts of knock-on effects for RO2, not the least of which being a tank respawning as quickly as a dead infantryman. Another knock-on effect is the artificial super-charging of all anti-tank rifles into anti-matter railguns to help combat this rapidly respawning rolling thunder. (Such things cheapen close infantry support armour in RO2.)
      I think the power of the AT rifles has little to nothing to do with the exit or not of the tanks, given how the AT rifles were in RO1 also (tank realists always cried over too easy penetration in RO1 also).

And as far as tanks on the same infantry respawn, I agree with both of you that is a problem. I think it probably is not a necessary effect of not being able to exit a tank, however. It's just a decision that needs tweaking.

In conclusion I really don't think exiting tanks is the issue of the thread nor do I truly think it's what creates these issues, and for the OP, these are good ideas which others have also posted. Maybe TWI will take a hint about combined arms in some way, either limiting number of tanks respawns (I personally tend to prefer this solution, hypothetically), changing spawn points and/or increasing spawn times.
      Last edited by MarioBava; 04-26-2012, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MarioBava View Post
        I think the power of the AT rifles has little to nothing to do with the exit or not of the tanks, given how the AT rifles were in RO1 also (tank realists always cried over too easy penetration in RO1 also).
        The AT rifles were much stronger in RO1. I remember a stretch of about 5 minutes in Leningrad where I took four shots and got four tank kills. While that's theoretically possible in RO2, it is vanishingly unlikely, while it was pretty easy in RO1 once you knew what to aim for. The only thing keeping it under control was the truly awful state of bipod weapon deployment in RO1.

I favor the slower and limited respawn method too. Just moving spawns back isn't a hot idea because, for one, tanks can cross terrain fast enough that it doesn't achieve much, and for another, on some maps the tank spawn point is already about as far back as it can go.

I'd move almost all of the infantry spawns on all maps back quite a bit, though.

Comment

Would it be possible for a modder to make the ability to jump in and out of tanks. i don't care if there is an animation or not but if it were possible for players to enter and exit the tank i would have absolutely no problems with this game.

Comment

Originally posted by Catalavos View Post
            I'm pretty confident that the issues regarding tank spawn locations and re-spawn times will get taken care of by custom map makers. All of the settings, etc... for stuff like this can be manipulated in the SDK. I'm working on a combined-arms map now that (hopefully) will force tanks to act like tanks and not assault troops.

So far the tank spawns are about 200-300 yards behind the infantry and the cap. zones are being set-up so that tanks can't get into them. I also plan to make the tank re-spawn times so unbearable that whomever takes the tank commander role will try very hard to stay alive.
            Good luck with getting anybody to play a map like that.
            Tankers are already stuck with bots that they don't want in their tanks,being unable to exit to save their lives when on fire or severely damaged,AT guns as powerfull as cruise missiles, and now you want to make a map with unbearably long spawn times,cap zones that can't be capped,and spawn points that are much further back.
            If you dislike tanks so much make it an infantry only map, and let the tankers enjoy the game instead of being hamstrung by stupid ideas.
            Last edited by Major_Day; 04-27-2012, 12:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Major_Day View Post
              Good luck with getting anybody to play a map like that.
              I would definately play that map!
              Longer tank respawns ftw. Ideally, we need a announcement when a new tank spawn is available, so tank crew men can play normal infantry while no tank is available.
              Supporting:
              Disapproving: progression, spawn on SL, spawns close to cap (RSOD)
              Since: beta 1.0 UT2003

Comment

Originally posted by Catalavos View Post
                Basically you would die your last death as a tank crewman and have to change roles manually.
                Is that so bad? Then you can select whatever (non-tank) role you want, ie. you're not restricted to rifleman.
                Supporting:
                Disapproving: progression, spawn on SL, spawns close to cap (RSOD)
                Since: beta 1.0 UT2003

Comment

Working...
                X