• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

[Classic+Realism] Drop Ammo on Death

Nightingale

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 15, 2010
Vancouver, Canada
I have a microscopic nitpick that doesn't deserve any attention while the TWI team are preparing for the free weekend & content updates, but it's a suggestion nonetheless:

One thing I enjoyed about Ostfront was how you were required to pick up the ammo pouches seperately from the weapon. It made retrieving a dropped weapon more time-consuming and riskier, so it wasn't something you could just do in the heat of a battle. I think it would be a cool thing to have in RO2's realism and classic modes as well. Definitely something to keep out of the streamlined action mode.

Reactions: Nylle
I have a microscopic nitpick that doesn't deserve any attention while the TWI team are preparing for the free weekend & content updates, but it's a suggestion nonetheless:

One thing I enjoyed about Ostfront was how you were required to pick up the ammo pouches seperately from the weapon. It made retrieving a dropped weapon more time-consuming and riskier, so it wasn't something you could just do in the heat of a battle. I think it would be a cool thing to have in RO2's realism and classic modes as well. Definitely something to keep out of the streamlined action mode.

Even though RO Classic is supposed to be as close to RO1 as possible I don't think taking putting in the ammo pouches would make it any better, sure it'll be like RO1, but I just don't think it's a good idea rolling back on an already fine system of ammo/gun grabbing.

I wouldn't mind it to to much though.

Upvote 0
It would be cool with a simple animation (with the player bending down on his knees) picking up the weapon and the ammo. That's just me dreaming though because I doubt its its a high priority.

However, when you kill an enemy soldier you should be required to pick up his ammo pouches separately from the weapon as OP stated. Because it's more realistic. That is an argument enough. Because ammo pouches aren't magically stored inside the weapon. So it makes less sense not to have to pick it up.

Upvote 0
But it's not realistic either to have the ammo pouches fly away from the character that died. For realism's sake, you'd have to search the character's corpse for the ammo, and pick the gun up off the ground. One issue with this, the corpses would need to be server side so everyone has the same availability to pick up the ammo, putting moar stress on the servers. Now that's just for the most realistic option, I could cope with picking up the ammo pouches that have fallen to the ground separately, but may I make another suggestion.

How about, you pick up a gun from the ground, and it only contains the bullets that are held in the magazine / drum / clip and nothing else, no reloads or anything unless you already have a weapon using the same ammo; making the player go to a re-supply point to retrieve more ammo, or looting from other dropped weapons of the same type.

Upvote 0
I think all you need is the same system as RO2, but add a simple animation similar to bandaging that forces you to crouch and retreive the "ammo" without having to add in flying ammo pouches and all that silliness. More realistic in one way, but without the silly drawbacks. I for one don't care that I'm looking at a gun and not a corpse or an ammo pouch (suspension of disbelief), but it is more of a gameplay impact for the acquisition to be instantaneous.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I hated the way this was implented into RO:Ost I get my gun shot out of my hand and magically my ammo flies away. I woudn't mind if it was implented properly.
Like when you pick up the weapon, it still has the rounds in it's magazine. So when you shoot a russian, you pick up his PPSh and you have the amount of ammo he had in his magazine before you shot him and you have to pick up the pouchesto get the rest of the mags.

Upvote 0