• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Defenders early spawn?

RAF_Pstyle

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
Another controversial suggestion.

Watching defenders hurriedly run to the cap-zones at the same time as they attackers always seemed a bit odd to me. should the caps not already have defenders in them, set up and ready to cut you down?

How about a 10 second lead for defenders to spawn - but only for the opening spawn at map-start?

The alternative would be to move the defender spawn closer to the cap, but I don;t like that option - because it would make each subsequent wave of defenders have an advantage. I'm only thinking about the very first wave...

Alternately, make the initial defenders' spawn closer to the objective. Just the very first initial spawn at the beginning of the round, but not so close the defenders run into no-man's land to Rambo....

yeah could be an option - in fact it might be a better option. It also solves the problem identified above BUT, in addition it means you won't have guys on the attacking team waiting for ages to spawn, which might encourage people to abandon the map.

The main problem with my whole idea is, i think, the risk that defenders will over-run the caps. I guess the insta-deaths on some parts of the maps will prevent this though, as they do now.

Also, you're right it won't work on all maps - particularly the 50/50 maps live Pavlov's house.

Once again, one of those things that might need to be tested to see if people like it.

Upvote 0
Alternately, make the initial defenders' spawn closer to the objective. Just the very first initial spawn at the beginning of the round,

Kinda like what's in right now, or exactly. Admitedly there's still a slight rush to the first zone on a few maps. :p

Spartonovka- Russian's initial spawn is just behind B / inside the rear of B itself, after this it's moved back to C.

Appartments- German's initial spawn is the area behind the wall on the north side of C. It then gets moved towards the back of D in the grocery shop upper floor.

Red October - German's initial spawn is right behind A, then gets moved back to mid-C.

Station - Russian's initial spawn is in B, gets moved back to around D / E after this.

Commisar's House - German's initial spawn is on the front of C upper and lower floors. Afterwards, it is moved back to the front of E or the far west of E just infront of the broken down factory area.

Mayamev Krugen - Russian's Initial spawn is mid-way between B and A, then gets moved to the back of B afterwards.

Upvote 0
Kinda like what's in right now, or exactly.
Bingo. The game already has the initial spawns farther forward than the defender's normal spawn point. If the map designer(s) wanted defense spawning on the front line, they'd have set it up that way.

It seems straight-forward enough as to why they do that. Every asymmetric game of every genre tends to intentionally design the the first objective (often the first several) to be relatively easy, for a whole host of reasons. By placing the first defender spawn farther back, it moves the midpoint between the two teams' travel time, the typical initial contact area, nearer to the first cap rather than the attacker's spawn, giving the initiative to the attackers.

As a side bonus, by enforcing a minimum delay, you give the defenders some time to position where they desire. A slightly longer travel time than the bare minimum has a lot lower opportunity cost than trading firing time to reposition, which is what you'd be doing if the map was designed around the defenders immediately opening fire.

Upvote 0