Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

WIP Forum Upgrade

Please pardon our mess as we continue to iterate on the forum style, css and images. If you have any suggestions be sure to let us know in the off topic part of the forum!
2 of 2 < >

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Disable freeaim in ironsight

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Disable freeaim in ironsight

The freeaim while hipshooting is really nice but the freeaim in ironsight feels so weird. That felt far better in RO:OST, that was the conclusion of an article about aiming in FPS from Nooky / NoFrag : http://translate.google.fr/translate...F22%2F37366%2F.

About RO2's ironsight :
    Yes, make it fell like RO:OSTFRONT
    19.05%
    Yes, but make it a server option
    3.17%
    Yes, but make it a client option
    12.70%
    No, I like the ironsight as it is
    65.08%
    Last edited by Partisan]Brice; 04-15-2012, 11:29 AM.
    [U][URL="http://www.redorchestra2.fr"][IMG]http://www.redorchestra2.fr/uploads/NCleanBlue/logoafairebbr.png[/IMG][/URL]
    [/U]

I don't like the implementation of free aim in ironsights. I have a lot of control over my arms in real life, even when carrying different forms of weight.

I know exactly through sensors in my body how much I move my arm or body to the left right. By making the movement of your gun actually varying dependant on its position of your screen you somewhat loose the connection to use the real life knowledge of your arm position.

So personally I don't mind free aim as long as moving your mouse x cm always corresponds to the same movement on screen. For smgs its not really important as you can quickly correct but for rifles its kind of annoying.

This is both easier for newer players, more intuitive and feels more realistic to me.
    Last edited by Zetsumei; 04-16-2012, 01:13 PM.

Comment

I didn't like the free aim in ironsights at first coming from Ro1 but it grew on me and I found it much easier to make precise shots with the freeaim. So I'd be either for leaving it as is or making it a client option.

Comment

I think the constant freeaim is a great feature. It feels natural, and it gives you a way to seamlessly introduce simulationist behavior that would otherwise require intrusive (and counterintuitive) view adjustment.

I not only don't think it's excessive, I have the opposite perspective: I think RO2 under-utilizes it. Freeaim influence would be a great way of countering unrealistic mechanical accuracy on maneuvers like bolting, cover pop-up, snapping to aim out of a run, that sort of thing.

Comment

Mekhazzio has it right. Snapping your aim quickly from one target to another is not at AFL easy in real life - weapons have weight and momentum, you overshoot and correct back and this involves dealing with the weight of the weapon.

Similarly, changing posture while trying to keep sights aligned is another thing that's just not going to happen in real life.

Comment

I think the constant freeaim is a great feature. It feels natural, and it gives you a way to seamlessly introduce simulationist behavior that would otherwise require intrusive (and counterintuitive) view adjustment.

I not only don't think it's excessive, I have the opposite perspective: I think RO2 under-utilizes it. Freeaim influence would be a great way of countering unrealistic mechanical accuracy on maneuvers like bolting, cover pop-up, snapping to aim out of a run, that sort of thing.
            For this, i agree with you at 100%.
            [CENTER][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/CENTER]

Comment

So, in this case, most people seem to prefer an unrealistic feature than a realistic one ? Feel free to explain why.

Originally posted by Mekhazzio View Post
              In a simulation, as explained above, in order to aim accurately and master the recoil, you have to form a rigid block with your upper body, your arms, your head and your weapon. Then if you move your weapon, your view will naturally move the exact same way, otherwise you lose on rigidy and you can't be accurate enough by aiming.

I can admit that for pistols and revolvers, the freeaim could be correct as it's quite impossible to form that rigid block, but it's insane about long guns the stock is braced against the shoulder.

Originally posted by Mekhazzio View Post
              Soldiers aren't accurate machines but individuals made ​​of flesh and bones who can't reproduice the same exact movements. OK. I fully agree that those issues need to be adressed and that would be a progress for the Red Orchestra franchise but introduicing an unrealistic feature in order to solve all these issues isn't the way that I feel. We can try others solutions and avoid distort the gameplay. A bit of random could be introduiced in the position of the view after performing a shift from cover, a change of stance etc... A better solution could be found.
              [U][URL="http://www.redorchestra2.fr"][IMG]http://www.redorchestra2.fr/uploads/NCleanBlue/logoafairebbr.png[/IMG][/URL]
              [/U]

Comment

Mm, after playing a tad on the RO Action server, I kinda like the fixed Iron sights, especially with the sniper rifles. Making me regret my decision in voting no in the poll.

Comment

Originally posted by Partisan]Brice View Post
                  In a simulation, as explained above, in order to aim accurately and master the recoil, you have to form a rigid block with your upper body, your arms, your head and your weapon. Then if you move your weapon, your view will naturally move the exact same way, otherwise you lose on rigidy and you can't be accurate enough by aiming.
                  I take it you don't have much actual range time then? Real people are kind of squishy and flexible, not "rigid". Marksmanship principles talk about position and hold being able to support the weapon "without undue effort on the part of the firer". A "rigid block" requires undue effort and is the opposite of good marksmanship.

"Mastering the recoil" is an interesting way to describe it. Can you explain what you mean by this?

Soldiers aren't accurate machines but individuals made ​​of flesh and bones who can't reproduice the same exact movements. OK. I fully agree that those issues need to be adressed and that would be a progress for the Red Orchestra franchise but introduicing an unrealistic feature in order to solve all these issues isn't the way that I feel. We can try others solutions and avoid distort the gameplay. A bit of random could be introduiced in the position of the view after performing a shift from cover, a change of stance etc... A better solution could be found.
                  Those ideas are fine, too, and could all be added. Freeaim however is a perfectly realistic representation of good marksmanship and should be kept.

I'd also like to see (as an experiment) what happens if you introduce a realistic amount of movement into the rear sight, so that shooters in the game need to coordinate both rear and front sight onto the target. I suspect that would just be unpleasant to look at though.
                  Last edited by Golf33; 04-22-2012, 03:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Golf33 View Post
                    I'd also like to see (as an experiment) what happens if you introduce a realistic amount of movement into the rear sight, so that shooters in the game need to coordinate both rear and front sight onto the target. I suspect that would just be unpleasant to look at though.
                    The problem with doing that is that you then need a control system that can handle the front and rear sight indepedently, which is difficult when you only have a single 2-axis device providing continuous input. You might want to check out the old Jurassic Park-based game Trespasser. It tried to do a control system where front and rear sights were handled independently, and it was interesting, but extremely awkward. Certainly not realistic.

If you have the game automatically controlling it (pretty much as we have now, but more extreme) then all you're really getting is some extra float on rapid movements...which would be neat for atmosphere, but not really a functional impact on gameplay, since RO combat is already conducted at ranges that, combined with the freeaim, make flick snapshots rather difficult to pull off already.

Comment

Originally posted by Vyllis View Post
                      For this, i agree with you at 100%.
                      I completely agree with him aswell.

Comment

I'm cool with free aim IS. It also make recoil more realistic: you're not looking at the sky as fast as you would without free aim.
                        Supporting:
                        Disapproving: progression, spawn on SL, spawns close to cap (RSOD)
                        Since: beta 1.0 UT2003

Comment

@Mekhazzio: a bit of extra float and movement on the rear sights is pretty much what I was getting at. I agree that a front and rear control system would be too awkward. The extra float wouldn't just apply to rapid movements though, but would be present during normal sighting sway. As I say, I doubt it'd work in practice - my guess is that it would actually make people feel a bit seasick when trying to aim.

Comment

Originally posted by 'Partisan
                            Please check also that video that explaining it : [Dossier Nofrag] Visée iron sight - Video Dailymotion

edit : Erf poll mistake, "feel" of course and not "fell"
                            Does anyone know what game is playing at 1:10 in that video?

Comment

Looks like Infiltration mod to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X