• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

capzone randomizer?

RAF_Pstyle

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 28, 2011
This is a long shot, and I fully admit that I have neither the skill nor time to make this happen, but i thought I'd throw it out there for some flaming etc..

The problem:
Once you've learned the maps they can become a little tedious. And certain maps almost always pan out the same way. for example, the first round of apartments almost always goes to the Russians. A quick spawn, take A and B caps then rush C, and D and it's all over in 4 minutes.

Solution?
Just throwing this out there.... but I wonder if it might be possible to come up with some kind of mutator that randomised the cap-zone order, or their locations - within some constraints of course. So, for example, you might not know until the map starts which of the first few caps needs to fall first.. or exactly where the first capzone is (maybe it moves around the map by 20m or so?)

Might such a mutator be possible even?
would spawn points also need to respond to the map randomisations?
Are there some maps where this might work, and not others?

Interesting option. It would cause all kind of balance problems, since on most maps at least some thought has gone into the positioning of cap zones and spawn points, but I do agree that as an option it may be something that could create some kind of novelty in vanilla mode.

Yeah I think balance might be a big problem too.
I think putting some kind of constraints on the randomizer might help a bit,.
i.e. no more than 1 capzone can shift its order, and then only by one place, Or capzones may only shift by a maximum of 20m or something like that....

Once again, the parameters for variation would take some thought and some testing, but I guess if things were never truly the same every time, then the mis-balance (is that a word?) would itself, balance out over time.... (sometimes favoring one side, sometimes the other).... but you would never really know, until the map was underway, who had the natural advantage, if there was one.

Upvote 0
This thread reminds me of the time where TWI was talking about how the maps would adjust themselves to the playercount of the server...

Hmm, I don't recall every hearing about that.

Surely this kind of map flexibility could really help the game. I love the feeling of entering a new map for the first few times, not knowing yet where the defenders are likely to be hiding, and still figuring out approach paths etc,.

It'd be nice if there was just a little randomization in the maps to give even the well-played maps some of this variation.

Upvote 0
An objective zone mutator could get tricky, but it's entirely possible. I might wind up making it, if the game ever gets stable enough to be worth trying to do mod work with it.

The first two Rainbow Six games had a great tech design where the team spawns & objectives were defined in a simple text file, so it was a snap to change. You could radically alter how a map played simply by making the fighting take place in different areas or different directions. My goal would be to replicate that, because the RO system, where it's cooked into the map file, is awfully limited.

Upvote 0
An objective zone mutator could get tricky, but it's entirely possible. I might wind up making it, if the game ever gets stable enough to be worth trying to do mod work with it.

The first two Rainbow Six games had a great tech design where the team spawns & objectives were defined in a simple text file, so it was a snap to change. You could radically alter how a map played simply by making the fighting take place in different areas or different directions. My goal would be to replicate that, because the RO system, where it's cooked into the map file, is awfully limited.
Please consider making this. It could potentially be the biggest improvement to the game right after clientside hit detection. You deserve to be paid. :D

Upvote 0