• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

TWI White List and release / package custom maps

Mormegil

Grizzled Veteran
Nov 21, 2005
Nargothrond
There are a number of custom maps, but servers don't want to run them, due to the need to download them first.

When the maps start getting out of beta (do custom maps ever get out of beta?), it would be great if TWI could sanction them by "white listing" them and distributing them in an update or free DLC.

I recall the mapping competitions for RO1 yielding some great results, where lots of servers ran the winning maps.

Reactions: Cat_in_da_Hat
Top idea.

I am awfully keen to run custom maps on the Aussie / NZ server but every time I put one on, half the server leaves.

The redirect I have is fine and i have promoted the map downloading program heavily but still the bulk of people just don't want to manually do this.

I raised this a while ago - steam updates for maps. Although I was against it first because the maps can be 100Mb and I hate the idea of forcing this download on people, I can see no other way to get maps to people that visit my server.

Maybe one custom map a month as a steam download. But they need to be finished maps and not beta.

Upvote 0
Top idea.

I am awfully keen to run custom maps on the Aussie / NZ server but every time I put one on, half the server leaves.

The redirect I have is fine and i have promoted the map downloading program heavily but still the bulk of people just don't want to manually do this.

I raised this a while ago - steam updates for maps. Although I was against it first because the maps can be 100Mb and I hate the idea of forcing this download on people, I can see no other way to get maps to people that visit my server.

Maybe one custom map a month as a steam download. But they need to be finished maps and not beta.

The maps will always be beta because nobody ever plays them.

Upvote 0
Back in on-topic land, a Steam download for good custom maps sounds like a great idea to me. I don't mind putting some of $100/month, 60GB bandwidth into Stan updates for custom maps if it means I don't have to wait for buggy redirects or instal a separate application just to access functionality that should be party of the core game.

Upvote 0
Yeah, it would be great if TWI made something that did it for us. They didn't.

There's a ****ING EASY tool to use to get the custom maps and the mentality of "I'm not going to use it because the game should do it for me." essentially tells the modders, "Don't bother guys, I don't have the desire to play your maps enough to actually download and install them manually."

Sure, I'd love to see all kinds of support for the modders from TWI. The modders do it out of desire. Not for their wallets. Is it so hard to show them support yourself? Download the maps, play them, tell your friends to download the maps. Don't worry about a third party app, or whether TWI is doing enough. Are you doing enough?

I'm not aiming this at people who are already supporting the modders, but what the **** happened to PC gaming?

Upvote 0
Yeah, it would be great if TWI made something that did it for us. They didn't.

There's a ****ING EASY tool to use to get the custom maps and the mentality of "I'm not going to use it because the game should do it for me." essentially tells the modders, "Don't bother guys, I don't have the desire to play your maps enough to actually download and install them manually."

Sure, I'd love to see all kinds of support for the modders from TWI. The modders do it out of desire. Not for their wallets. Is it so hard to show them support yourself? Download the maps, play them, tell your friends to download the maps. Don't worry about a third party app, or whether TWI is doing enough. Are you doing enough?

I'm not aiming this at people who are already supporting the modders, but what the **** happened to PC gaming?

I agree, people should find out how to do these things for themselves,don't rely on other people, the maps are there,if you're not sure how to install them, ASK, on the servers or on the forums,there are plenty of people only too willing to help.

Upvote 0
I agree, people should find out how to do these things for themselves,don't rely on other people, the maps are there,if you're not sure how to install them, ASK, on the servers or on the forums,there are plenty of people only too willing to help.

That's very true... Most Server Admins will especially go out of their way to help.

Upvote 0
Never the less if there was an easy way to find and install custom maps for users. Then more people would download them and try to play on them. Personally I would wish that if you didn't have a file that in every file somehow the creator can add a link, so when you do not have the file you see a popup with a link to download it.

Something that would benefit both server admins as users.

Upvote 0