• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

All Modes--Tank Armor Bug Fixes

Nikita

Grizzled Veteran
May 5, 2011
Firstly, let me just say that I love tanking just as much as I hate the bugs. I've got the weak spots figured out, the interiors are beautiful, the armor system is far more complex than RO1's ever was... I also greatly appreciate the work Wilsonam put into the calculations (Rant on tanks, armor, etc...), even occasionally in his off time.

Now, don't get me wrong--I'm not one of those who claim that the Panzer IV is invincible. It is more than possible to kill a Panzer IV. From the side especially, they are quite weak. From the front, it's far more difficult, but the hull hitzones can be hit.

Anyway, to the point. I've been trying to get these questions answered for some time, bringing them up during Scorched Earth casts, here on the forums, and in-game (politely, I hope) with the devs:

Are penetrations supposed to do a little more... damage? Once, I could only see the Panzer IV's turret cupola (50mm armor), and began shooting at it, getting repeated penetrations. Didn't kill the commander, who I presume was sitting up there on his chair. Penetrations on my own tank, be it a PIV or T34, sometimes completely fail to injure anyone or damage anything. In his post, Wilsonam said that spalling was modeled. If so, perhaps it's not working completely properly?

T34's front armor plates might need to be looked at if a PTRS can "damage" the T34's mantlet, which according to Wilsonam is 50mm thick. In a head-to-head fight against the PIV, I often had my front glacis plate damaged and subsequently completely "destroyed" by the next round. See picture below, taken on Arad2, where my front armor is damaged--that occured with the first hit, allowing the second to kill my hull gunner and engine. The one below took place on Gumrak in vanilla RO2, playing against bots. Driver dead. Hull gunner dead. Front armor completely destroyed, engine damaged, right brake destroyed.

2012-04-01_00001.jpg

2012-03-22_00001.jpg

The Panzer IV's turret is unusually durable considering the fact that the front is just 50mm of cast armor and the sides are just 30mm thick--deflections are common even firing across Fallen Fighters (150-250m). See below-this was taken right before pressing the trigger. The shot deflected:

2012-03-22_00003.jpg

I also played as a T34 commander in the beta today on Fallen Fighters. Some interesting things happened.

2012-04-07_00003.jpg

See picture above. Here, my loader was killed along with the rest of my crew, and my surviving commander couldn't be bothered to move about a foot, grab a shell off the rack, and shove it into the breech. I don't see why a tank without a loader couldn't reload the main gun, obviously at a slower pace. This isn't a bug, but it is a suggestion--when the loader is killed, allowing reloading to still be possible would be excellent.

2012-04-07_00002.jpg

Third picture. Was this me getting hit by a Panzer IV? Unfortunately not. My turret front armor plate was destroyed... by a PTRS in German hands. AND my commander was killed.

2012-04-07_00001.jpg

Fourth picture. Seconds after I fell back to avoid getting blown up by said German anti-tank gunner in the third picture, he put another round through my turret...

...and destroyed my main gun.

I'm assuming this is a bug? I mean, the PTRS couldn't possibly have been intended to penetrate the T34's turret, killing the commander, wrecking the front turret mantlet, and somehow disabling the main gun? The PTRS/Pzb stats seem... a little buggy.

Now, just to reiterate, I really do appreciate the hard work that's been put into the armor system. It's a complicated task with tons of variables, and its inevitable that something doesn't work quite right here and there, but the hard work shows, and all this criticism is intended to be as constructive as possible. Thanks for taking the time to listen!

Last edited:
A lonely tank commander that lost any of his crew would've abandoned its tank immediately in real life. There should be a system where after a tank is hit, the crew would have to bail out. I don't know how this would work since crew can't get out of tank but perhaps sort of after pressing a key they would spawn in a new tank as to simulate the "abandoned" tank.

Upvote 0
Press K to scuttle - was obvious. ;)

Actually, I saved the tank, repaired it and got new crew members at the supply point, shelled the Univermag to high hell, and took out the Panzer IV when it unwisely drove right into my line of fire looking for me. Counter-intuitive, but that's another problem--tanks respawn so quickly that there's really no need to try and save the tank when you'll have a spanking new one in 30 seconds.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Gah, McTank drive-thru insta-repair makes my skull itch. Embarrassingly poor design choice.

I think if we're going to have repairs at all, it should be limited and significant inconvenience to the tanker...like only available by returning to the spawn area and having to wait out the length of a respawn timer. And that's a big if. My gut feeling is that there should be no tank repairs at all. Only ammo resupply and crew replacement but only the latter on the actual respawn cycle.

Upvote 0
I think if we're going to have repairs at all, it should be limited and significant inconvenience to the tanker...like only available by returning to the spawn area and having to wait out the length of a respawn timer. And that's a big if. My gut feeling is that there should be no tank repairs at all. Only ammo resupply and crew replacement but only the latter on the actual respawn cycle.

Amazing.... cripple the tanks.....tankers and then just let the tanks die a slow death. Forget it.

Two things needed.

• The aiming & other trubs pointed out in the OP. (good post BTW)
  • Allowing the tankers to dismount/remount and allowing infantry to hitch a ride.

Make the tanks and tanking better not hobble it. ;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Amazing.... cripple the tanks.....tankers and then just let the tanks die a slow death. Forget it.

Two things needed.

• Allowing the tankers to dismount/remount and allowing infantry to hitch a ride.

Make the tanks and tanking better not hobble it. ;)

Just my opinion, but allowing tankers to dismount does not make tanking better. Why? Because when you're not in a tank, you're not tanking and what you're doing has nothing to do with the tank.Disallowing or limiting repairs for tanks doesn't cripple them. Enemy shots cripple tanks. At which point the appropriate course of action is to scuttle, hope to win the battle so that it can be repaired later. A tank that is crippled in the field could hardly be repaired in the heat of battle. Parking by a resupply and taking pot shots while all damage is repaired, every resupply timer, essentially making only one-shot-kill hits effective against you makes tanking stupid, not better.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Just my opinion, but allowing tankers to dismount does not make tanking better. Why? Because when you're not in a tank, you're not tanking and what you're doing has nothing to do with the tank.
By allowing a tanker to dismount........ The tanker has the opportunity to "spot the enemy" while not revealing his presence. Once done, he can then get back in his tank and remain undetected. At this time, he must view from highest point on the tank to try to see the enemy while running an extremely high risk of being seen. It was valuable to be able to get out of the tank and shoot anti-tank infantry too.

Also, having the tanker apart from the tank allows for custom spawns for both tankers and tanks. Thus allowing the opportunity to customize tank spawns and tanker spawns. This would stop the "instant" Tank spawns.
Disallowing or limiting repairs for tanks doesn't cripple them. Enemy shots cripple tanks. At which point the appropriate course of action is to scuttle, hope to win the battle so that it can be repaired later. A tank that is crippled in the field could hardly be repaired in the heat of battle.
Emergency battle repairs were quite common in Europe both the Germans and the Allies has specialty vehicles and designated team for such actions. Don't believe me? Read up on the Battle of Kursk.
Parking by a resupply and taking pot shots while all damage is repaired, every resupply timer, essentially making only one-shot-kill hits effective against you makes tanking stupid, not better.
Stupid Tanking?? WHY blame all tankers? It is unfair to all the good tankers. That is a simple programming change to disallow any tanker from literally cheating by sitting in an ammo re-supply area and taking unfair advantage of other players. We agree on this.
How much RO Tanking experience have you? Ever play DH? Plenty to be learned from both as far as tankers and tanking are concerned. TWI is on the right track with tanking in RO2. It simply needs some fine tuning not hobbles and confining controls. We didn't need them in RO or DH why start now?

I notice how conveniently you ignored the points illustrated.... why?

Two things needed.

Do you not feel they'll help the tanking in RO2?

Its a far better thing to improve rather than take away.
;)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Emergency battle repairs were quite common in Europe both the Germans and the Allies has specialty vehicles and designated team for such actions. Don't believe me? Read up on the Battle of Kursk.
Selective reading. That isn't what he was referring to. Field repairs often took hours and required dedicated teams of equipped mechanics, not a box full of potatoes (which are, apparently, merely a delivery vessel for several kilos of 27th century auto-repair Nanites).

Field repair stations for tank are daft, beyond all reason; they trivialize the game to the point of being stupid. (And having said that I now fully expect you to attempt to twist those words into being some kind of bizarre rail against all

Upvote 0
Selective reading. That isn't what he was referring to. Field repairs often took hours and required dedicated teams of equipped mechanics, not a box full of potatoes (which are, apparently, merely a delivery vessel for several kilos of 27th century auto-repair Nanites).

Field repair stations for tank are daft, beyond all reason; they trivialize the game to the point of being stupid. (And having said that I now fully expect you to attempt to twist those words into being some kind of bizarre rail against all

Upvote 0
Gah, McTank drive-thru insta-repair makes my skull itch. Embarrassingly poor design choice.

I have to agree with this one. As an ex-M1 tanker I can say from personal experience that repairs take a very long time, even with a dedicated repair crew. I have no experience with changing out turrets, engines or final drives on a Pz IV but I'll bet it's a little more complicated than driving through the field repair depot.

Limping back to the original spawn is a reasonable comprimise though, I guess. In RO you could run back and grab another tank which is basically the same thing.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
By allowing a tanker to dismount........ The tanker has the opportunity to "spot the enemy" while not revealing his presence. Once done, he can then get back in his tank and remain undetected.
Its a far better thing to improve rather than take away.;)

My real-life TC's spent lots of time outside of the tank peering through binoculars. It would be nice to have this feature in RO2.

Upvote 0