• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

I highly suggest not including a ranking or unlock system with Rising Storm.

mathischarlie

Feb 6, 2012
I feel like everyone should have an equal experience at being allowed at whatever weapons or classes they want without the need of unlocking them, just like how it was in Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45. This includes attachments to weapons and miscellaneous items.

This would require an essential weapon to player balance. I highly disagree with the direction Tripwire has moved in Red Orchestra 2 in regards of unlocks and ranks, as it only separates the community in two.

Custom maps are not played as often, or even at all only because they're only allowed on unranked servers. Why? Because the developers fear that people will create farming maps to quickly progress through the ranks and unlocks.

Without ranks and unlocks, that will not be an issue. Therefore, the more community made content, the more it actually contributes to the game, or in this case, modification.

And, to me, personally, I feel as if unlocks and ranks that are used for unlocks are additions to games that the developers fear that the player won't enjoy as much without the addition of them. It's completely up to the developer to make an entertaining, wholesome and fun gameplay experience without the need of fourth wall objectives to suck the player in even more that would lead to an imbalance in the playing fields, or exempting other players of having that same gameplay experience.

I also feel as if it could create a better teamwork oriented setting than it would if you were only trying to farm your way up in kills and points to get the gun nobody else has yet.

Reactions: Nylle
I feel like everyone should have an equal experience at being allowed at whatever weapons or classes they want without the need of unlocking them, just like how it was in Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45. This includes attachments to weapons and miscellaneous items.
Yeah, but in RO there still was class restrictions where only so many SMG, MG, or sniper troops ect where allowed per round per side which basically amounted to the same thing. The problem with that was you would get some noob in a team vital limited class slot who would mess things up for the whole team and piss everyone off. And you cant just have unlimited slots for everything our youll have a full team of officers spamming arty for example.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Yeah i agree, ranking+unlocks work nicely for some games - particularly coop with killing floor a good example.
I dislike the system in player vs player games (when it affects ability as opposed to merely cosmetic changes)- indeed i didn't even buy HoS because of this (a game which for a long time I considered the only must buy on the horizon)

I think a good competitive fps shouldn't need unlocks and ranks; but if you want to see it implemented really well - and fairly - ET quake wars was perfect.

Upvote 0
Yeah, but in RO there still was class restrictions where only so many SMG, MG, or sniper troops ect where allowed per round per side which basically amounted to the same thing. The problem with that was you would get some noob in a team vital limited class slot who would mess things up for the whole team and piss everyone off. And you cant just have unlimited slots for everything our youll have a full team of officers spamming arty for example.

or better yet, the entire russian team taking ppsh's, who needs riflemen when you have the power of SPAM :cool:

Upvote 0
I agree so much with OP Its hard to express with words!
Damn it was greate when I could just buy a game or install a mod and get all the content to play around with from the begining, not being forced to spend time I don't havbe on boring endlessly farming. Because even if I think unlocks shoud be something new that suprises me when I've been playing alot I just think "I want that now" and mindlessly farms it. (Even if I I hate farming).

I really really really hope RS will be as smart as I hope it will and include all wepons from the begining.

Leveling systems is just a way of fooling yourself that the game lasts longer. What makes a game last forewer is fun, allways.

Upvote 0