• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WASD -Tank Turret Control

First off, what armor bugs? Second, as someone pointed out the problem is that ASDW is used for commands, not that it's an engine limitation to implement. It will require a decent amount of work to implement however.

Do you really think the two tanks, as they are now, are balanced and working fine? I think the tanking in this game is very bad at the moment. When you see penetration on the turret you're shooting with AP shells, it still just turns to shoot you. When you shoot your at rifle at the mantlet of a t34, the strongest part from the front. It penetrates and kills. It simply doesn't make any sense whatsoever, and I've been waiting a long time for someone to fix it.

Upvote 0
When you shoot your at rifle at the mantlet of a t34, the strongest part from the front. It penetrates and kills. It simply doesn't make any sense whatsoever, and I've been waiting a long time for someone to fix it.

The strongest part of the front of the tank is the glacis (hull front), not the mantlet. The mantlet is actually relatively weak on the T-34/76 at 45-52mm, and should be penetrated by the Panzer IV gun. No way it should be penetrated by the AT rifle though. Though I wonder what happens if you hit the telescopic sight. I would think there wouldn't be a straight path through (prisms).

Upvote 0
Tank Controls at this time are fine....

Agreed.
Don't touch the arrow keys, they are being used to the full.

From Mormegil...
"I would like to see either WASD or number pads give commands to non-AI drivers. In RO1, you could use the number pad to give directions to your teammate in the tank."

I never understood why this was left out.

Anyhow I'd better install the beta before saying anything more...

Thanks.

Upvote 0
What do you mean?

I am the fifth of the four arrow key users (old joke).

Personally I find the mouse turret control very well implemented and easy to use as it is.
I am a mega fan of RO tanking (Thanks for the Tanks)...

A little disappointed with RO2 tanks, in fact not the tanks themselves but the lack of content but I know,,, things will improve.

I have noticed that there is an Arad 2 map in the making.
Take note, someone, somewhere is working on the tanks...

This is my personal view, carry on...
NP.

Upvote 0
Mouse turret control is well implemented
First time I have missed the WASD turret control but now I like it...

...but the extreme mouse sliding for a 90 or 180 degree turn is very annoying

so here my suggestion

The gunner view should be divided into 3 areas left, center and right.(image below)
The center should work like currently ingame (crosshair follows a small mouse cursor)
If you move the mouse cursor into left area - the cursor will change to a left pointing arrow and the turret will rotate left permanently - opposit the same

the outer areas are also the transition to electric(T-34) or hydraulic(PzIV) turret rotation

Attachments

• turret_control.jpg
    turret_control.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Arrow keys or WASD doesn't matter,tank turret should be keyboard controlled.It feels weird when controlled by Mouse.Sure,its more precise but it doesn't feel right.

Should be? By what standards of programming do you base your assertion?

WASD for direction control is dandy.... the mouse does a fine job with the turret once you LEARN its use.

Upvote 0
Should be? By what standards of programming do you base your assertion?

This is the most nonsensical argument I have ever read. Standards of programming? Are you just throwing random words around now?

Do you get paid to defend TWI in every thread or something? There wasn't even really a debate here. How can you argue against putting something in the game this simple?

Upvote 0
This is the most nonsensical argument I have ever read. Standards of programming? Are you just throwing random words around now?

Do you get paid to defend TWI in every thread or something? There wasn't even really a debate here. How can you argue against putting something in the game this simple?

Rave On!!

Nothing... such as this should be anything but optional. But I understand that you fail to comprehend actual reasoning.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Really, joystick control would probably be best, since traverse was on a two speed system, based on how far you moved the controls. But that would be akward and go too far.

Ultimately, it's personal preference. I wouldn't mind having an option for either. As long as the turret moves at the same speed for each control system, there really can't be an advantage for one over the other. I can probably shoot as well with either one, but like the feel of WASD.

Unfortunately, Ramm stated it would be too difficult to implement button controls. So unless someone can make a mutator, we've only got, mouse control.

Upvote 0
Mouse control is junk. There is no reason why the turret controls cant be added to the arrow keys.

They spent 6 months?! making tanks and constantly say how hard it was to get everything right...but they cant make the turret controled by keys? Sounds to me like they got other prioritys and theyre sweeping this issue under the rug for the meantime. I use the arrow keys instead of WASD. Who cares if you "cant" make the turret WASD controlled...make it arrow key controlled instead. That works for me.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Mouse turret control is well implemented
First time I have missed the WASD turret control but now I like it...

...but the extreme mouse sliding for a 90 or 180 degree turn is very annoying

so here my suggestion

The gunner view should be divided into 3 areas left, center and right.(image below)
The center should work like currently ingame (crosshair follows a small mouse cursor)
If you move the mouse cursor into left area - the cursor will change to a left pointing arrow and the turret will rotate left permanently - opposit the same

the outer areas are also the transition to electric(T-34) or hydraulic(PzIV) turret rotation

This man has the holy ghost if IS-2 within. Implement this!

Upvote 0