• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

WASD -Tank Turret Control

Kleist

Grizzled Veteran
May 3, 2009
Deutschland
General suggestion for every RO2 mode: (but a must have for the RO 2:Classic mode

Last time i meet Ramm-jaeger on a server and ask him about WASD for the turret control, and he answer me that it is not possible with the sytstem.

Ok, that was on a the TWB-Server, there is not enough time for a interview or a discussion.

So i want to bring it back into this forum.

What

Last edited:
Reactions: Partisan]Brice
I agree, I don't like mouse control for turret aiming.
And I suspect that the reason Ramm said it wasn't possible was indeed the fact that the movement keys currently command the bots. But that's not a valid reason to dismiss it, though.

I hope so, than there will be some hope to see the WASD control back in action. It was a much better feeling of tankcombat. And you can use the mouse to turn your head much more effective.

I hate it that i change the turret position only because i tough my mouse a little bit.

About the driver bot: i have no porblem to drive a tank without any AI (only the loader is necessary, of course).

But when they want to use the AI-Driver the arrow-keys would be perfect to command him. And if you drive by your self you can use the WASD keys again. (and PC-User often have a lot of free keys at the NUM-Block, too - if they aren

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Agreed. Arrow keys can control the driver. WASD can control the turret. What's wrong with that?

Armor bugs need to go first though.

First off, what armor bugs? Second, as someone pointed out the problem is that ASDW is used for commands, not that it's an engine limitation to implement. It will require a decent amount of work to implement however.

Upvote 0
First off, what armor bugs? Second, as someone pointed out the problem is that ASDW is used for commands, not that it's an engine limitation to implement. It will require a decent amount of work to implement however.

could it work with holding shift? spacebar or ctrl?

In that way, you can leave the WSAD commands alone, but when the player wants to opperate the gun, he/she can press and hold a button or even maybe just toggle it, with capslock or something, in order to opperate the turret?

Just an idea for you guys.

Upvote 0
could it work with holding shift? spacebar or ctrl?

In that way, you can leave the WSAD commands alone, but when the player wants to opperate the gun, he/she can press and hold a button or even maybe just toggle it, with capslock or something, in order to opperate the turret?

Just an idea for you guys.

I think arrow keys would potentially be a better solution. The difficulty lies in the time it would take to implement a button based solution in general.

Upvote 0
I think arrow keys would potentially be a better solution. The difficulty lies in the time it would take to implement a button based solution in general.

I see! Personally, I love the way you guys did the tanks in RO2. They are much more fun! I have many fewer moments being ticketed off that I didn't have a driver to back up just those five feet. You know... lol

I do agree though, the turret control with the mouse doesn't feel right. I've sat in a few WWII american tanks, moving the turret and gun is a bit less smooth than it feels on screen in RO2... but, it is close enough for me.

Upvote 0
I prefer this idea:

When you are Gunner (Commander - AI-driver orders with arrow keys) you can use WASD for the tank turret control and mouse for firing the main gun and the coxial MG (like it was in RO:Ost, too)
+ arrow keys for the tank driver (AI) orders.

If you are driver you only need WASD + Space and the mouse (like it is)

That is the best way for me.

I can

Last edited:
Upvote 0

That's too bad to hear that a button system would be too difficult to implement. I know you guys have your hands full.

For ROClassic mode, it might be something to do down the line to really bring it back to the RO1 tanking system (with some changes). No AI - even the driver - so no need to use WASD as the gunner / commander.

As far as the armor bugs go - they seem mostly fixed except the AT rifles are still over powered, and can get kills on the T-34 frontally. Alan said this shouldn't happen. It's pretty easy to do on Fallen Fighters.

Upvote 0

I'm not sure it's a bug but I sure hope it is:
The PTRS being able to penetrate the T-34 turret and nearly everywhere else....while the Panzer IV shrugs off ptrs rounds to the side where it most def. would penetrate. Something just seems really off with the penetration values in general

Upvote 0

Arrow keys definitely for the win but I don't see this as top priority at the moment. Well not until a big *** tank map pops up.

That Battle of Prokhorvoka map in RO1, Black Day July was a cracker ! I generally don't like using tanks but I can't remember ever leaving that Black Day map without a big smile on my face.

It would be good to crack the tanker market. Those guys seem a pretty loyal bunch. I still see many kicking around on that JollyRogers DH server.

Upvote 0

I'm assuming that the PTRS isn't supposed to be able to penetrate the T34's turret from the front by design--that's one of the more readily apparent bugs.

The T34's gun also seems to have more trouble with the PIV's turret and front than it should, given that the F34 86.2mm should penetrate at least 60mm of armor at 500m when the PIV has unsloped frontal armor of 50mm.

<a href="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=71969&highlight=weak+turret&page=3" target="_blank">http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=71969&highlight=weak+turret&page=3

Not armor, but more on the flesh side of things, but the tank commander can't always be shot when outside of the hatch.

<a href="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=65586" target="_blank">http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=65586

I'm not sure on this, but, people have mentioned that if there's a bursting charge modeled for penetrations for both the Russian and the German guns, that it might not be working properly given how often penetrations do little to no injury to the crew.

I'm no armor expert or tread-head and I won't pretend to be, but from what I can tell some of these issues are making tank battles less popular in-game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
H
I'm no armor expert or tread-head and I won't pretend to be, but from what I can tell some of these issues are making tank battles less popular in-game.

I think the big reasons tanks are less popular in RO2 than RO1 are:

1) Hull-MG AI too good, frustrating infantry on combined arms maps
2) Gumrak, while realistic, is a bit bland - and custom maps aren't playing nice with servers right now
3) Lack of variety in tanks for now (RO1 eventually had Stug III's, Panzer III, 3 Panzer IVs, Panther, Tiger, Su-76, T-60, T-34, T-34/85 and the holy IS-2 - not counting the customs).

Upvote 0
I'd like to see a key added where you could push it to keep the AI CREW from firing - or maybe 2 keys - one to stop hull gunner and one to stop main gun when I'm driving but want them to keep quiet. Makes sneaking up easier when they don't fire.

Also to keep the main gun from firing now I am forced to stay in turret instead of driving it to that perfect hull down position from the drivers seat.

in line with this thread - WASD as an option would be nice too, but please make more tanks, halftracks, maps first.

Finally - (As long as I think TWI might see this) I'd like to add my largest suggestion yet - one that cuts down on my constant range of motion issue with the button on the lower right corner being in need of becoming LARGER. I press this thing dozens of times a day and I'm always hunting it because it should be larger on my 1900x1200 or so monitor.

As of right now - the steam screenshot overlays the button you push on the lower right every time you pick the respawn location when you have been killed. If you take a screenshot of the final score at the end of a match it will overlay the little button.

If a screenshot is there you have to move the mouse arrow behind it and hope it is on the location you need to click to hit continue.

The same thing can happen with the steam-friend-signing-on--notification-overlay-box. That button is too small on a 1900x1200 widescreen and I find myself hunting it with the mouse a dozen times per map.

That adds up to hundreds of clicks per week - Please make that button LARGER. Tis such a small thing I know - but I press it SOOOO MANY TIMES. Thanks for considering it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Tank Controls at this time are fine....

True, but I think they could be improved. If we're going for the Classic Mode / RO1 feel, then WASD turret controls are definitely RO1 (granted, it was mouse in RO:CA).

Either way, I would like to see either WASD or number pads give commands to non-AI drivers. In RO1, you could use the number pad to give directions to your teammate in the tank. In RO2, you can give directions to the AI driver with WASD, but it doesn't work with a human player.

Upvote 0