Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

WIP Forum Upgrade

Please pardon our mess as we continue to iterate on the forum style, css and images. If you have any suggestions be sure to let us know in the off topic part of the forum!
2 of 2 < >

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Coop Banzai Mode

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Landrik View Post
    How about the reverse so that you and your friends with bot friendlies could participate in a banzai charge at some Americans in foxholes? :P -stabby stab stab-
    Hell that would be cool. Have both options.
    Also id have the bodies not disappear so they like piled up in between rounds then you gotta go clear your line of sight like John Basilone had to. And Japanese only get Arisaka, Nambu pistols and shin guntō for the charge. Maybe a few lunge mines and sharpened sticks here and there.
    Last edited by m1rock69; 04-13-2012, 08:54 AM.

Comment

While a banzai coop mode is a bit ridiculous for a game like RS (IMO), I will say that some of the most fun I've ever had in gaming is playing a survival mode in the game Vietcong. I don't remember the gamemode name or the map name, but you and up to 3 other friends started at the top of a fortified hill, and fended off waves of NPC Vietcong. The enemies didn't do bayonet charges, and actually used their weapons and grenades, but they weren't great shots. Each wave would get tougher and tougher, with more enemies.

Since I have such fond memories of that game and gamemode, adding something similar to RS wouldn't put me off at all. Historically accurate or not, very few people wouldn't enjoy fighting tooth and nail against an onslaught of banzai charges.

That being said, I would definitely rather have the devs working on making better/more multiplayer content and maps rather than something of this nature.

Comment

A big problem with this game mode is that, although bot AI has improved lots since RO:Ost, they still are quite dumb in several respects.

I remember that VC level you describe quite vividly.. it was a helluva challenge in SP and Co-op mode.

Comment

Just watched a documentary on the Marines and Army at the Chosin Reservoir in North Korea. D:> I was reminded of this topic. Horrible, horrible stuff. For both sides.

Nestor makes a valid point. You're going to have some rage-worthy AI to fight in this sort of mode. Not the good kind of rage-worth either.
          [I][SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][/I]

Comment

Originally posted by Moody View Post
            While a banzai coop mode is a bit ridiculous for a game like RS (IMO), I will say that some of the most fun I've ever had in gaming is playing a survival mode in the game Vietcong. I don't remember the gamemode name or the map name, but you and up to 3 other friends started at the top of a fortified hill, and fended off waves of NPC Vietcong. The enemies didn't do bayonet charges, and actually used their weapons and grenades, but they weren't great shots. Each wave would get tougher and tougher, with more enemies.

Since I have such fond memories of that game and gamemode, adding something similar to RS wouldn't put me off at all. Historically accurate or not, very few people wouldn't enjoy fighting tooth and nail against an onslaught of banzai charges.

That being said, I would definitely rather have the devs working on making better/more multiplayer content and maps rather than something of this nature.
            I remember that as well. Historically accurate, is depending on what is being represented. The Battle of Alligator Creek, The all night long massive banzai charge on Saipan in July '44 As well as the drunken one on Guam, the last ditch one on Iwo Jima after the Marines turned in their weapons and the final stand on Eniwetok for example. These all did happen and they happened on a fairly regular basis. And they pretty much consisted of what you might imagine a banzai charge to be. Dont see how they would be any less historically accurate then any other part of the game. Base the missions off these battles and they would be historically accurate. Anyways, I agree I guess. Although I think coop like this would be great fun I understand pvp mp is first and foremost
            Last edited by m1rock69; 04-15-2012, 05:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Moody View Post

"Radio Relay"? - was cool as it seemed that the sneaky buggers would try probing different attack routes for a weakness - kept you running from sand bag bunker to crater and back again, trying to pick the VC off as they were funneled by the barbed wire.

Vietcong AI was fairly limited, but worked well on maps like that.
              Hauling oats to Ogeltez since release.

Comment

Originally posted by m1rock69 View Post
                The best example of this and probably the most awesome representation of a Banzai attack in a game I think is the Bloody Ridge level in Medal of Honor Pacific Assault
                Not a banzai attack, they're supposedly moving in methodically and in a smart fashion albeit in the way MoH and CoD games always represented assaults.

Comment

Originally posted by Clowndoe View Post
                  Not a banzai attack, they're supposedly moving in methodically and in a smart fashion albeit in the way MoH and CoD games always represented assaults.
                  From what Ive read on actual accounts of banzai attacks they where not all just complete and total chaos. I mean Japanese would take overrun American machine guns and turn them on their owners for example. They'd take cover, they'd lob grenades. Biggest difference was where as most armies would fall back and retreat during an assault after taking so many casualties they just kept coming.

Comment

Any Co-op mode for this game would be great. I personally hope the campaign will be available to play in co-op. Banzai mode/defense and attack mode would be a lot of fun though.
                    :IS2:

Comment

Banzai charges really are over-exaggerated today. They weren't tactical counter-attacks at all, but a last ditch attempt to die without surrendering and hopefully take some enemies with you. Every man who participated in one knew full well that they were going out to die. One can point out the battle of the Tenaru in '42 as a counter example, but this was more the result of an individual colonel's incompetence in underestimating the size of the US landing force (A full frontal charge was still a viable option when an enemy is both much smaller and disorganized, but unfortunately for the Japanese, niether of these were true).

Comment

Originally posted by Tokugawa77 View Post
                        Banzai charges really are over-exaggerated today. They weren't tactical counter-attacks at all, but a last ditch attempt to die without surrendering and hopefully take some enemies with you. Every man who participated in one knew full well that they were going out to die. One can point out the battle of the Tenaru in '42 as a counter example, but this was more the result of an individual colonel's incompetence in underestimating the size of the US landing force (A full frontal charge was still a viable option when an enemy is both much smaller and disorganized, but unfortunately for the Japanese, niether of these were true).
                        What about the frontal banzai counter attack that the Japanese preformed during the first night of the battle of Saipan for example? That was long after Guadalcanal and not a last ditch situation. I know there are other examples but it would take me a little time to research them.

Comment

Originally posted by m1rock View Post
                          What about the frontal banzai counter attack that the Japanese preformed during the first night of the battle of Saipan for example? That was long after Guadalcanal and not a last ditch situation. I know there are other examples but it would take me a little time to research them.
                          If I remember correctly, that was just a counterattack, not a Banzai charge. All armies counter-attack. A Banzai charge implies charging with the intent of dieing, not with the capture of a strategic point.

Comment

If I remember correctly, that was just a counterattack, not a Banzai charge. All armies counter-attack. A Banzai charge implies charging with the intent of dieing, not with the capture of a strategic point.
                            Banzai charges where used in China with the full intent of capturing strategic points. They where effective there because most Chinese units had low moral and lacked automatic weapons. Banzai charges where not simply used as a method of ritual suicide, they did have tactical use.

Comment

Originally posted by m1rock View Post
                              Banzai charges where used in China with the full intent of capturing strategic points. They where effective there because most Chinese units had low moral and lacked automatic weapons. Banzai charges where not simply used as a method of ritual suicide, they did have tactical use.
                              They name it "banzai charge" because of what the Japanese yell before and when they charged. It was a common tactic for the Japanese to charge frontally for strategic purposes. Basically it was the only way of attack the Japanese trained for. However "banzai charge" is sometimes refereed as the Japanese's last-ditch effort to inflict damage on the enemy. As the pacific war progressed, these kind of charges were used less and less and sometimes forbidden by Japanese commanders. Towards the end of the war, these banzai charges were more for last-ditch efforts and symbolic purposes.

Comment

Yes, but most Japanese counter attacks were frontal bayonet charges with "banzai" screaming soldiers. Similar picture as the "banzai charge" you are referring to.

Comment

Working...
                                X