• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

At this part I can't see how the unlock system is supposed to be a good thing.

Scarf Ace

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 16, 2011
Title says all. Well, it would if I hadn't made a mistake in it.

In this beta, free of any unlocking and grinding, I don't see how in hell the unlock system can possibly affect the game in a positive way.
The game's balance feels very, very delicate. Giving players unlockable upgrades that are downright better could heavily upset the game's balance.
Thanks to the PPSh nerf the MP40 for example is clearly the better weapon. What happens if one side has more players who have access to upgraded or unlocked weapons? Even the slightest recoil changes could have a serious impact on a player's performance.
Another thing is the time it takes to unlock things. Currently it seems the only way to effectively get your hands on new kit is to whore the hell out of a class and faction. This will inevitably cause team stacking and "force"(not really) players to have their choice of class dictated by whatever they want to unlock, rather than what they feel like doing.

We need servers where everyone has access to specific unlockables, and those servers will need to be populated. I don't know what the plan is regarding unlock restrictions, but if it is to simply restrict what unlockables you can use, rather than making them universally available on your server, then that's terrible news.

I don't want the full version to be less fun than the beta because of unlock related bullcrap. Servers will need full control over unlocks and who gets them, otherwise the fun may be ruined for quite a few of us.

Now that this thread has been moved into the Suggestions board, I'll add this:
What I personally want is a new, ranked official game mode alongside hardcore and relaxed realism modes.
In this mode, there is still ranking up and all, however skill points don't apply, and most unlocks are restricted. The ones that aren't (realistic standard issue equipment like bayonets, PPSh drum mags and working fire selector) are available to all. Perhaps yet another exception could be made for purely aesthetic things such as black hand grips for the P38, which would still require an unlock.

Last edited:
IMO the upgrades are minor enough that I'm not inclined to achievement-whore / kill-whore in order to unlock them (like I did when TF2 started adding unlocks). That's the way I like it- make it a neat little bonus, but not something that will alter the game too significantly.

Just my $0.02.

Upvote 0
If they do like TF2 and turn them into sidegrades that offer the opportunity to change your tactics up a bit rather than a direct upgrade, I don't see a problem with the unlocks.

The problem I DO have are the stat unlocks. What happens when the game goes on sale in a year and all the new players are swaying like they just downed an entire bottle of vodka/schnapps and the vets have the early-beta level of recoil? Bother that nonsense. Plus, how do you have competitive play when the results my be skewed by how willing a player is to grind his stats?

Upvote 0
If they do like TF2 and turn them into sidegrades that offer the opportunity to change your tactics up a bit rather than a direct upgrade, I don't see a problem with the unlocks.

The problem I DO have are the stat unlocks. What happens when the game goes on sale in a year and all the new players are swaying like they just downed an entire bottle of vodka/schnapps and the vets have the early-beta level of recoil? Bother that nonsense. Plus, how do you have competitive play when the results my be skewed by how willing a player is to grind his stats?

Honor level servers. Tripwire has talked about this repeatedly. You can basically set a max level for servers so for example people with an honor level over 40 can't enter it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

I'd think in competitive play everyone would be given the same stats and unlocks so most of that progression stuff would be thrown out the window, basically.

Upvote 0
Honor level servers. Tripwire has talked about this repeatedly. You can basically set a max level for servers so for example people with an honor level over 40 can't enter it.

Okay, and how popular do you think low-level servers are going to be in a year or two?

I'd think in competitive play everyone would be given the same stats and unlocks so most of that progression stuff would be thrown out the window, basically.

Here's hoping.

Upvote 0
IMO the upgrades are minor enough that I'm not inclined to achievement-whore / kill-whore in order to unlock them
Thats because you still didnt get trolled by drum mag PPSHs or better even.. MP40/II's.
After you'll see one dude run into a room and kill 5 guys in one reload, your whole perception of care/dont care about unlocks will change. :p

Upvote 0
Explain how things like higher capacity magazines, reduced recoil, reduced sway, deadlier melee and select fire are "sidegrades". They're blatant upgrades. They hurt the balance.
Not only can new weapons and improvements get unlocked, your character's performance also increases over time. This is not realistic, not fun and not fair.
TWI should've realised that NOT having any sort of unlocking would be a selling point these days. I'm sick of it. Many people are sick of it. TF2 was ruined by it.

Again, I seriously hope servers will have full control over unlocks, both restricting and granting them to people who haven't unlocked them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Explain how things like higher capacity magazines, reduced recoil, reduced sway, deadlier melee and select fire are "sidegrades". They're blatant upgrades. They hurt the balance.
Not only can new weapons and improvements get unlocked, your character's performance also increases over time. This is not realistic, not fun and not fair.

Well, if the bayo threw off your aim, or the drum mags jammed, then they would be sidegrabs.

Stat upgrades I am staunchly against.

Upvote 0
+1.

As if newbies in a game with a learning curve like RO arent "punished" enough. You could now start trolling about honor cap servers, I really doubt any1 is gonna bother looking for a "noob only" server or if such servs will be populated at all.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scarf Ace
Upvote 0
THe reason the beta is so much fun is because we havnt had to deal with unlocks.

Even if they are sidegrade, which i dont see how a MP40/II is a side grade from an mp40 but whatever, it just looks ridiculous.

Silenced revolvers, scoped mkb42's...that stuff doest belong in a supposed authentic game like Red Orchestra.

the unlock system does not seem well thought out and appears to have been included because "everyone else is doing it, so should we."

attachments/unlocks dont work for a ww2 game; in a modern setting game with 1,000,000,000 various attachments and unlocks it makes more sense.

Upvote 0
I just want to point out that any complaint against the MP40 is answered with "It's realistic."

You know what else is realistic?

Veteran soldiers getting better equipment as they have proven that they know what they're doing. I'm also pretty sure a veteran soldier would be better at doing soldier things than a raw recruit. They would know how to control their weapon, how to reload it efficiently, how to draw beads on targets better. These things all make sense and quite frankly I think the overall effect will be quite marginal. It's also not like a lot of the upgrades were extremely rare. Almost every picture I've seen of the PPSH has a soldier using a drum magazine.

I'm level 32 with the Mosin Nagant and the only difference I can notice is that there's a foot long piece of metal on the front of it now. At the current rate I would need ~2000 kills with the Nagant to max the stat increases at 100%.

If you feel like you're grinding for stats or being forced to play this class or that class, you simply have the wrong attitude. I play this game simply because it is extremely satisfying. Even if there were no stats at all it wouldn't diminish the grin I get every time I put a bullet in some kraut's chest.

Upvote 0