• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The rifles and balancing?

Funny, as seeing that many new people which downloaded and played the most recent update emphatically labeled the most popular maps "allied slaughter maps" "axis fanbois maps" or "German win maps". (Example Hill 108, 400, Stoumont, Stavelot, and especially Dogreen, etc)

they're usually also maps that the germans are either ss-divisions where most of the team gets g43s and stgs, or in the case of stoumont/stavelot, they get someone that knows how to use the tanks effectively (like me :D). Hill 108 I am usually pushed back to being spawncamped as germans and having to class-a SPAM to get out of spawn, chicken also mentioned the germans' main defence being the number of caps and emplacements, which definitely covers doggreen and the hill 400 field of death :cool:

*unless you mention carentan causeway, which is ridiculously favouring the germans to the point where the americans need to spawnrape with the mgs to ever have a hope of capping :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Deployable wire monopods for the Type 99 rifle would be useful when the Japanese team is on the defensive.
I've thought about it, but the way that bipods are handled in RO2 is different to RO1, code-wise. They assume that if a weapon has a bipod then it must be too bulky to use ironsights with and a lot of functionality is lost. Adding it back is possible, just difficult - perhaps moreso than it's worth considering that weapon resting provides just as much stability, but without the inconvenience of being stuck to a piece of cover.

Upvote 0
*bump*
I just came up with this and I have also suggested this in another thread in the RO2 section. Maybe it's already suggested but I'll post it anyway.
In Brothers in Arms: Hell's Highway (not sure if any other games have this) you have increased sway from your weapon when you aim down sight after sprinting. This way you're not able to sprint, stop, and instantly shoot a distant foe.

However, this can also been done to semi-automatic rifles, but the extra sway would also come in after shooting these rifles. This way you can keep weapons historically correct and Americans would have to wait some time to fire a next accurate shot at them Japanese soldiers.

Also, looking forward to this mod. Looking very good from what i've seen and heard. Keep it up :)

Upvote 0
You do know that Sturt was the coder for DH, right?

Of course I know. I am just saying my opinions. I never really thought that bolt actions were inferior to the M1 in DH and I hope that will be in the same in RS.

Also may I ask we will be seeing any rendered pictures of weapons? I'm not really sure what they are called but its like a cool picture to preview weapons in games.

Like this:
Spoiler!

Upvote 0
If this mod will be historically accurate, the US rifleman class will use the M1 Garand. And since the semi-automatic rifles are one-shot kill to the chest in RO2, i was wondering how this would be balanced, considering the japanese will use bolt-action rifles? Only thing i can come up with is not being able to reaload the M1 Garand before the magazine is empty, like in Day of Defeat: Source.

Thoughts?

that was an actually a problem with the clip you can't reload in the middle of a clip you can eject it though. ;)

Upvote 0
You could actually reload mid-clip, it was just a complete pain in the arse

The enbloc clip no longer holds the rds after two had been fired off.
When you press the eject button, the clip and remaining rounds all jump out. From there the clip has to be reloaded with a full 8rds to go back in.

There were 5rd and 2rd clips but those never saw issue to troops, only target rifle team members.

Upvote 0
When you press the eject button, the clip and remaining rounds all jump out. From there the clip has to be reloaded with a full 8rds to go back in.
While it's true that the clip is no longer holding the rounds, you can still reload mid-clip, it's just slow and difficult and not something that would be done in combat as it involves loading extra rounds in one by one. It was just easier to fire the remaining rounds off or simply eject whatever was left. We will be allowing you to eject the remaining rounds to load a fresh clip, but the rounds ejected will be lost so it'll be up to the players whether they want to waste those bullets or not. For between-skirmish situations where players don't want to give their position away by firing, my money is on yes.

Upvote 0
True on the first count, though the Germans had darn good LMGs to make up for it, and they had SMGs unlike the Japanese.

True on the second as well. I agree that weapons should be left as realistic as possible.

Whoah hold on now. Japanese had 5 SMGs. Type 2, Type 100, MP18, and the M38 and 43. And alot of people believe these were expensive and only squad leaders and platoon leaders carried them. WRONG. They were deployed to entire squads in 1942 to attack southern china. And the German LMG did make up for it but those are robust and hard to maneuver into safe firing zones. So it already was balanced to begin with. Germans were good on the defensive because of their strong weapons and tactics from Hitler Studying both Sun Tzu and Napoleon Bonaparte's books. A defense makes for invincibility and the will to attack makes the chance for victory. Hitler knew this and thats why he was so succesful but made the huge mistake of ticking the russians off. Napoleon failed because of Russia and so did Hitler.

Basically all im trying to say is everyone had their perks and flaws so everyone was equal in certain areas. They just make this huge deal about germany being superior because their weaponry was advanced. Just cuz you have the bigger gun doesnt mean your going to win against countries who have been fighting wars before you were born Germany lol;)

Upvote 0

There were 5rd and 2rd clips but those never saw issue to troops, only target rifle team members.

I think the real question is, why the he'll didn't they just go with plain strippers or use a mag? No need to re-invent the wheel here!

Upvote 0
If this mod will be historically accurate, the US rifleman class will use the M1 Garand. And since the semi-automatic rifles are one-shot kill to the chest in RO2, i was wondering how this would be balanced, considering the japanese will use bolt-action rifles? Only thing i can come up with is not being able to reaload the M1 Garand before the magazine is empty, like in Day of Defeat: Source.

Thoughts?

To be historically accurate, Japanese had far inferior weapons than US. Their weapons were basically unchanged from WWI.
I would like the option to choose Springfield bolt rifle. I think the soliders could request springfield instead of M1.

Upvote 0
To be historically accurate, Japanese had far inferior weapons than US. Their weapons were basically unchanged from WWI.
I would like the option to choose Springfield bolt rifle. I think the soliders could request springfield instead of M1.

Nope. M1 garand or M1 Carbine were the choices, most picked m1 garand due to the power, others picked the m1 carbine(mostly paratroopers) because of the small and versatile structure and because it was a clip instead of a strip. You could fall flat on a rock with the clip hitting first and it would be fine, a strip could break or bullets could fall out. So really marines and infantry enjoyed the garand while the paratroopers and rangers liked the carbine because the thing was easy to use and extremely durable. But all in all they were both semi-auto :D

Upvote 0
Germans were good on the defensive because of their strong weapons and tactics from Hitler Studying both Sun Tzu and Napoleon Bonaparte's books.

:confused:

Nope. M1 garand or M1 Carbine were the choices, most picked m1 garand due to the power, others picked the m1 carbine(mostly paratroopers) because of the small and versatile structure and because it was a clip instead of a strip. You could fall flat on a rock with the clip hitting first and it would be fine, a strip could break or bullets could fall out. So really marines and infantry enjoyed the garand while the paratroopers and rangers liked the carbine because the thing was easy to use and extremely durable. But all in all they were both semi-auto :D

The M1 used a clip...and falling onto a rock has no effect on the clip as it's inside the rifle. The M1 was used more than the Carbine by both Rangers and Paratroopers as well as it was the standard weapon used by American rifleman throughout the war. The Carbine was mainly used by NCOs, officers, and members of crew-served weapons. I don't have it with me, but Mark Bando's "101st Airborne : The Screaming Eagles at Normandy" discusses the fact (I believe it's from an interview with Donald R. Burgett) that most paratroopers in fact preferred the M1 Rifle due to its stopping power.

Upvote 0
Still a stripper or a mag would have been much better IMO

Would hate to have 5 Japs fruit to hunt me down and I've only got 4 rounds in my rifle.

It isn't nearly as big of a problem as MOHAA made it out to be. Why this myth persists is a mystery to me. If it was as big of a problem as video game forums claim, it would be mentioned throughout WWII literature, after-action reports, and the like. Nobody mentions anything of the sort. In fact the M1 Garand is almost always mentioned with lavish praise as it outclassed every other battle rifle out there at the time (this was mitigated by German MG42 superiority, however).

Last edited:
Upvote 0