Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

The rifles and balancing?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Kazune View Post
    Before you read on, I'm assuming that Rising Storm will be similar in that it will mainly focus on the early parts of the Pacific War, and I'm also only posting the following as "food for thought".
    Now, wasn't one of the reasons for the U.S. Marines not being issued M1 rifles the fact that most were being shipped out as part of "Europe First" when the U.S. entered the war? And thus many had no choice but to use the Springfield, or that M1917 Enfield until more M1s became available.

It may be outside the timeline due to it being designed around 1944, however, as I understand it, the Japanese Type 4 rifle was meant to be based on the M1, but with modifications; the main modification being the use of two 5 round stripper clips rather than an en bloc clip, I imagine so they could share with other infantry and simplify production.

For balance purposes, I could imagine it being somewhat like this.
    U.S. :
    Rifleman: Springfield/M1917 Enfield (both are Bolts)
    Assault: M1 Garand/M1 Carbine/"Chicago Typewriter"
    Support: M1917 Browning Machine Gun/BAR
    Commander: M1 Carbine/"Chicago Typewriter"
    Sniper: M1903A4 Springfield

Japan:
    Rifleman: Arisaka Type 99
    Assault: Type II smg/Type 100 smg/Type 44 cavalry rifle
    Support: Type 11/Type 96 lmg
    Commander: Type 100 smg/Type 38 carbine
    Sniper: Arisaka Type 99

A few side notes:
    1.) Japanese should be able to achieve a higher rate of fire with any Arisaka rifle over any other nation's bolt-action due to its design.
    2.) Japanese should be immediately issued bayonets for use.
    3.) The Type 100 smg and Type 96 lmg were able to mount bayonets.
    4.) As far as early war tanks goes, the Type 97 "Shinho To" Chi-Ha should prove to be on par (slightly inferior in armor) to the M1/2 Stuarts. Which was about all the Marines could field without getting heavily bogged down at some point.
    5.) For fun, Japanese commanders could be given the option to wield a sword as a secondary rather than the Nambu.

Just my two cents. Food for thought~
    Thanks for your input but there is absolutely no way that we will have late-period marines, or any-period-whatever army using predominantly Springfields.

Comment

[QUOTE=RtD>Kr

Comment

Originally posted by Tovarish_Vassili View Post
        Yup, I'd love to see the good ol' Enfield back in action
        1917 Enfields didnt see much action in the Pacific with the Marines. There were more 1903 of 1910s and 20s vintage than Enfields.

The Enfield was more of a WW1 rifle when enough 1903s couldnt be produced.
        The 1903 should only be supplemented by the 1903A3 on the 'Canal.

Also...the 1903A4 wasnt a Marine variant. We used our own version up through Korea.

MOHPA renderings of these rifles was spot on.

Last edited by Marine Rifleman; 03-11-2012, 12:52 AM.

Comment

Mmm loved that game... shame it does not work on win7 64bit.
          sigpic

Comment

Haven't posted in a while, so I think I'll give my 2 cents since this is a pretty important topic.

As many have said before, obvious moves to make to help balance this out are to give the Japanese a terrain advantage, and defensive advantage. Another possible solution is to give the Japanese a spawn point advantage, by either making their spawns closer to the objectives, or by making their spawn times faster, maybe a combination of both. You can explain this in a somewhat realistic way by saying that the Japanese knew the terrain better, and thus could organize assaults and reinforcements more efficiently. As a Japanese rifleman you might die a lot, but if you spawn closer to the front line, and wait less time to spawn, it helps keep that from being as bad. A problem with that idea though is that spawning closer to the action could lead to easier spawn camping, which might be remedied by clever map design (which I realize isn't easy at all).

While I'm on spawning, another possibility is to increase the frequency that the commander can use the force respawn ability (if the team decides to keep that system from RO2 in place). Camouflage helps, although it's hard to make good camo that works naturally in game...
            Last edited by Moody; 03-11-2012, 04:32 PM.

Comment

There are several maps we have atm which seem to heavily favour riflemen.

Given the normal loadout of US Army (not marine) squads and the loadout of all Japanese forces, this is no bad thing.

We just have to make sure the run'n'gun bunnies have something to do with their Thommies tho

Comment

Originally posted by Nestor Makhno View Post
                There are several maps we have atm which seem to heavily favour riflemen.

Given the normal loadout of US Army (not marine) squads and the loadout of all Japanese forces, this is no bad thing.

We just have to make sure the run'n'gun bunnies have something to do with their Thommies tho
                that big? if it was only 100m you could just have the tommies spam at ridgelines and corners as makeshift mgs
                Even the Aliens know it:

Genesis of IS2

Comment

Originally posted by Frostedfire View Post
                  that big? if it was only 100m you could just have the tommies spam at ridgelines and corners as makeshift mgs
                  According to people that have fired both, the Thommie has a much greater kick than the PPSh so spamming is going to be a real wrestling match.

Comment

Originally posted by Nestor Makhno View Post
                    According to people that have fired both, the Thommie has a much greater kick than the PPSh so spamming is going to be a real wrestling match.
                    Ah, but the .45ACP is a much heavier calibre then the 7.62Tokerev and would probably be more stopping power against unarmoured targets at close ranges
                    Over 4 years and still can't get signatures to run!

Comment

I like the idea of shortening the japanese respawntimes as it is a quite simple way of balancing sites, paying attention to the attitude of the japanese Soldiers and doesn't need to make any historical inaccuarate tweeks on the Weapons.
                      [IMG]http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-_XpTYCMBISo/TswlQ46VFlI/AAAAAAAAEUs/GhpCO4X8T8U/s320/Sandor%2BClegane.png[/IMG]
                      If I see any of you dogs dying with an unused smoke grenade, I will rape his corpse!

Comment

Originally posted by Nazarov View Post
                        To be historically accurate, Japanese had far inferior weapons than US. Their weapons were basically unchanged from WWI.
                        I would like the option to choose Springfield bolt rifle. I think the soliders could request springfield instead of M1.
                        Actually, in modern tests (sorry, dont have a link but it was on a show I watched on military channel comparing ww2 bolt actions) the Type 99 Arisaka was found to be one of the most durable and accurate rifles of it's time. And the Type 99 came into service in I think 1937, replacing the old Type 38, so it was a pretty new model, and a well made weapon (At least until the allied bombing campaigns). The Type 99 LMG was also widely produced, and from what I can tell (sorry, don't know as much about this weapon) was solidly built.

As for what others have said about the Japanese taking massive casualties compared to the allies, this was mainly due to suicides and Banzai charges, which of course will not be present in MP, rather than weapons. On Iwo Jima for instance, the Japanese General Kuribayashi strictly condemned Banzai charges and suicides, resulting in the only battle (in which the marine corps was involved) where American casulaties (26,000) exceeded Japanese (21,000). So it was entirely possible for the Japanese soldier to successfully combat and American one.

Comment

I think its a bit of a myth that the japanese had inferior weapons. Not sure how this myth was created but I guess american propaganda (pre and post war) had a good part in it.
                          [CENTER][B]

Comment

I think a problem people are just going to have to accept if they want accuracy is that Japanese squad-level firepower just sucked during the war. You could design the maps around these deficiencies to minimize them, but the reality is in a stand up fight an American squad can and just will put way more fire than an equivalent size Japanese squad.

Comment

Originally posted by CaptHawkeye View Post
                              I think a problem people are just going to have to accept if they want accuracy is that Japanese squad-level firepower just sucked during the war. You could design the maps around these deficiencies to minimize them, but the reality is in a stand up fight an American squad can and just will put way more fire than an equivalent size Japanese squad.
                              So the Wehrmacht squad, which was built around k98-equiped riflemen, sucked too? The US was really the only nation in ww2 to widely adopt semi-automatics. This isn't really as big an advantage as it initially appears, imo, because though there is more firepower, aimed shots with a garand for example wouldn't be that much faster than that of a type 99 arisaka. From personal experience (playing hos haha) I prefer bolt-actions to semis anyway.

Comment

what about the ability to fire the type 99 standing? it's a lighter round...should be more controllable. but recoil should be high

also, bayonette

also also man portable knee mortar
                                Last edited by gimpy117; 06-19-2012, 05:21 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X