• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The rifles and balancing?

bovine

Sep 6, 2011
If this mod will be historically accurate, the US rifleman class will use the M1 Garand. And since the semi-automatic rifles are one-shot kill to the chest in RO2, i was wondering how this would be balanced, considering the japanese will use bolt-action rifles? Only thing i can come up with is not being able to reaload the M1 Garand before the magazine is empty, like in Day of Defeat: Source.

Thoughts?

Reactions: Nylle
Loading and Reloading the the M1 Garand - YouTube

Theres an identical thread to this one in GD anyways.

______ dont need balancing, maps need balancing. IMO the Japanese should be portrayed with their realistic strengths and disadvantages, the maps can be designed in such a way that the game plays fairly for both sides, despite their differences.

Last edited:
Reactions: Nylle
Upvote 0
Oh, i didn't notice the other thread about the subject.

Anyway, about the reloading, will you have to eject the last magazine like the video shows, and keep the one that isn't full, then put another one in? note that i hardly know anything about firearms, it just looks impossible to put another magazine in the M1 Garand (without ejecting) like you do in most games.

Upvote 0
I have never seen a game where you can reload a Garand without ejecting the clip first.

You have to unload the empty/unfinished clip first, before you can load another clip into the Garand's magazine.

Some games, as you mentioned, unrealistically don't allow you to unload for instance a half finished clip, which could be done in real life in the same way as you release an empty clip.

Upvote 0
Well Darkest Hour had M1 Garands Vs K98s and that was balanced..

Never balance weapons... Just balance maps.
It wasn't really. The Germans get slaughtered in every map, which is why the majority of maps have the Americans attacking and the Germans attempting to hold out for the time limit. They also get a lot more reinforcements as a general rule. There's a reason that there are so many objectives to take in most of the maps...

Balance was something I had a lot of difficulty with in that game too. I didn't want to unrealistically nerf any weapons, but at the same time I didn't want to completely break things for the German side. The map solution worked to an extent, but if kills/deaths were displayed on the scoreboard you might be horrified at how badly the Americans wipe the floor with their superior rifles.

For RS it's going to be even harder, because the Japanese had no semi-automatic rifles at all (well, they had one or two but they never made it to mass production), very few SMGs and a large number of inferior LMGs. I have some ideas about how I'm going to do things, but whether they work or not remains to be seen. What I will say is this though - I will not be nerfing the Carbine/Garand at all. Artifical weapon nerfs have no place in a game that touts realism as its core. You heard it here first. ;)

Upvote 0
You are wrong sir. DH has no problem with unbalanced rifles. Every single nation has different weapons and you have to deal with it. In DH i often see germans winning, although they use bolt rifles, not semi auto. The game is not about fast shooting, but aiming (well in RO2 its much more easier but still...) As somebody mentioned, BAR was nothing against StG44... Same with nades, nobody whine about german nades who are cooked as soon as u relase pin, and f1 which u have to press alt fire button to cook..

Upvote 0
I have never seen a game where you can reload a Garand without ejecting the clip first.

You have to unload the empty/unfinished clip first, before you can load another clip into the Garand's magazine.

Some games, as you mentioned, unrealistically don't allow you to unload for instance a half finished clip, which could be done in real life in the same way as you release an empty clip.

Battlefield: Bad Company 2 comes to mind first. i don't think the clip ever ejects in that game actually... then again its just a veteran status bonus weapon in it, so they probably didn't put much thought into it.

Upvote 0
It wasn't really. The Germans get slaughtered in every map, which is why the majority of maps have the Americans attacking and the Germans attempting to hold out for the time limit. They also get a lot more reinforcements as a general rule. There's a reason that there are so many objectives to take in most of the maps...

Not sure when you was playing but whenever i played DH as German they normally won if not playing small maps like Brecourt or Carentan. On medium sized to large maps is where the Germans reign supreme.

Upvote 0
Not sure when you was playing but whenever i played DH as German they normally won if not playing small maps like Brecourt or Carentan. On medium sized to large maps is where the Germans reign supreme.

he was talking more kdr. The germans can win fine, they still spend heaps of time in the respawn queue though. A lot of my time as the germans was (even on the big maps) nothing more than holding the line by running into bullets repeatedly so the allies would spend more time shooting than moving towards the cap :(

...kinda like being soviets on pavlov's really :p

Upvote 0
It wasn't really. The Germans get slaughtered in every map
Funny, as seeing that many new people which downloaded and played the most recent update emphatically labeled the most popular maps "allied slaughter maps" "axis fanbois maps" or "German win maps". (Example Hill 108, 400, Stoumont, Stavelot, and especially Dogreen, etc)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have an idea. What if you tweak the Japanese running speed, reinforcement count, spawn time, and health. The weapons have to stay historically accurate. Also you can strategically place some Japanese tanks while putting the American tanks in a bad position thus making the Americans to think on their feet.

Upvote 0