Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Squad Leader spawn discussion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squad Leader spawn discussion

Some of the squad respawn system was discussed in GD in this thread:
    http://forums.tripwireinteractive.co...ad.php?t=54974

What was confirmed was:
    -Squads are added dynamically, containing multiple teams (fire team, MG team, maybe sniper team, and so forth)
    -When respawning, you have the choice of respawning either at a cap point or at your squad leader (it he has a secure zone to spawn at)

What I got a little worried about when seeing this is for "ninja" tactics where a single squad leader (SL for short) could sneak past the defenses and spawn his full squad behind the lines.

I'm quite confident that TWI can do a wonderful system on their own, but I'm just throwing in some ideas on this that they can ponder on :-)

--------------------

So I sketched up a few suggestions.

1. Basic system. Every squad leader gets a "zone" in which his squad can respawn. If an enemy enters this zone, or an enemy bullet penetrates it (bullet penetration zone might be better to have a smaller zone maybe) the zone gets cancelled (with a cooldown on bullets maybe). What I'd like to see here is a growing "zone", that means the area that needs to be clear of enemies gets bigger as the SL gets further from the cap zone.

2. If possible, it would also be nice to have a "resupply corridor" between your cap zones and the SL. This would mean respawning at the SL will only be available if there's a clear path between the SL and a cap point. In the example below the two axis soldiers between the SL and cap point effectively cancels the squads ability to spawn at the SL.

3. If this is feasible, it would also be nice to have a "bendy" corridor, preferrably using small control zones that can make the corridor smaller (use bezier curves with a few points maybe). Crudely drawn example below where the two axis soldiers will not break SL respawn:

Since I have no idea how the implement system actually works now, I'm just throwing these ideas out there, it might be totally fine the way it is :-) Might be an idea for a mutator if nothing else.
    Attached Files
    -
    -
    -
    This space was intentionally left empty. Well. Almost anyways.

*scratches head* I'm confused...
    JBM Ballistics | Online Conversion | CSG Kinetic Energy Calculator

Have you always been fascinated by the age of sail?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo46dIyDNf8

Comment

I guess with capzone you actually mean the normal spawnpoint if you don't spawn by the squadleader?

Comment

Originally posted by Forssen View Post
        I guess with capzone you actually mean the normal spawnpoint if you don't spawn by the squadleader?
        Yeah, apologies for the confusion :-)
        -
        -
        -

Comment

nvm...
          Last edited by Rrralphster; 07-28-2011, 01:36 PM.

In-game name: Costarring

Comment

Better than running 500 meters to battle just to get shot and then run again.

Comment

Originally posted by AntoxaGray View Post
              Better than running 500 meters to battle just to get shot and then run again.
              For one, if you are playing on a map where you have to run 500 meters, why not find one where you have to run 50? And secondly, I look at it as a punishment for dying. If you die, you can't get right back into the action, you have to run up to it. And this also gives the tactical advantage of letting you choose your path, in stead of spawning in the middle of bullets.
              Plus, I've rarely been spawnkilled in RO, if ever.
              Yoshiro, I live ten minutes away from TWI headquarters and I have ice cream... If you'd like some, I could bring it there...
              / bribe

Comment

Spawning near squad leaders and in-game squads is easily the best teamwork enhancing feature for a 'pick-up' combat game such as this. In Battlefield 2 the squad system was robust and gave teamwork-minded players a real ability to coordinate with their squadmates and continue that coordination over the course of a round. This made its realism mod PR tremendously teamwork-intensive. While I play Armed Assault pseudoreligiously and enjoy walking kilometers to the fight, I don't like making that walk alone to a squad leader who will be dead and respawned behind me before I get there.

I'm confident TWI has a spawn-stopping mechanism already in place that will prevent squad leaders from being magical teleportation beacons into enemy bunkers. Of particular interest, however, is how this is going to affect our urban combat. One squad could hold a house for quite a long time if its reinforcements didn't have to run through fire. But since TWI has said squad leaders under fire can't be respawned on, it opens a need for constant fire at occupied cover to 'fix' the enemy's numbers until friendlies can move in close for the actual kill.

I anticipate a lot more gunfire, and that's a good thing.

Comment

Those who say something is impossible should not interrupt those who are doing it.

Comment

[QUOTE=CAKELIE;778918]For one, if you are playing on a map where you have to run 500 meters, why not find one where you have to run 50? And secondly, I look at it as a punishment for dying. If you die, you can't get right back into the action, you have to run up to it

Comment

The discussion whether the current system is needed compared to 'classic' respawning is kinda not the point of the OP.

I think that his idea can make the respawn system more tactically employable and make it worthwile for the enemy to disrupt a supply line.

Although the implementation will be quite hard (especially with the bend lines), but the idea is pretty good imho
                      In-game nick: Nivve
                      Steam ID: Nivve_NL
                      sigpic

Comment

Thing I don't understand is this "bendy" corridor feature, I mean whats the point? If I understood it right it basically just negates the idea of a corridor in the first place, since the corridor will just swerve past any enemy soldiers in its' way toward the SL.
                        JBM Ballistics | Online Conversion | CSG Kinetic Energy Calculator

Have you always been fascinated by the age of sail?
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mo46dIyDNf8

Comment

Originally posted by Actin View Post
                          The discussion whether the current system is needed compared to 'classic' respawning is kinda not the point of the OP.

I think that his idea can make the respawn system more tactically employable and make it worthwile for the enemy to disrupt a supply line.

Although the implementation will be quite hard (especially with the bend lines), but the idea is pretty good imho
                          Exactly friend. I definitely think SL respawning is better than the classic respawning, I just wanted to discuss it's implementation a bit :-)

Originally posted by Unus Offa, Unus Nex View Post
                          Thing I don't understand is this "bendy" corridor feature, I mean whats the point? If I understood it right it basically just negates the idea of a corridor in the first place, since the corridor will just swerve past any enemy soldiers in its' way toward the SL.
                          Yeah the pic for the bendy line isn't that good now that I think about it. The thought process about it was that the corridor isn't necessarily a straight line between the last cap/spawn and the SL, it can bend so you actually can do flanking/circling manouvers.
                          -
                          -
                          -

Comment

Originally posted by Wesreidau View Post
                            Spawning near squad leaders and in-game squads is easily the best teamwork enhancing feature for a 'pick-up' combat game such as this. In Battlefield 2 the squad system was robust and gave teamwork-minded players a real ability to coordinate with their squadmates and continue that coordination over the course of a round. This made its realism mod PR tremendously teamwork-intensive. While I play Armed Assault pseudoreligiously and enjoy walking kilometers to the fight, I don't like making that walk alone to a squad leader who will be dead and respawned behind me before I get there.
                            I totally agree.

Originally posted by Wesreidau View Post
                            I'm confident TWI has a spawn-stopping mechanism already in place that will prevent squad leaders from being magical teleportation beacons into enemy bunkers. Of particular interest, however, is how this is going to affect our urban combat. One squad could hold a house for quite a long time if its reinforcements didn't have to run through fire. But since TWI has said squad leaders under fire can't be respawned on, it opens a need for constant fire at occupied cover to 'fix' the enemy's numbers until friendlies can move in close for the actual kill.

I anticipate a lot more gunfire, and that's a good thing.
                            I'm pretty confident TWI has done a good job with the spawn-stopping mechanism too, bit it's hard to speculate having so few details about it :-)
                            One thing I'm worried about in your particular scenario is just the fact that a well entrenched SL can just respawn his squad all the time, making it impossible to surround the building to keep people from coming in.
                            Imho the SL respawn system is there to remove the need to walk for 3 minutes before getting to the fight, but if a soldier couldn't have walked to the SL without getting into a fight on the way he shouldn't be able to just spawn on him either. Therefore; corridors :-) But just implementing growing zones as in example 1 should be pretty effective in stopping this.
                            -
                            -
                            -

Comment

Maybe it is better to follow the map.

To have an example take CS:S De_Dust 2 (point is still understandable if you don't know the map)
                              When SL is not reachable by A-short because there are enemies, than you can respawn on him with a delayed timer (e.g. 15 sec instead of 8).
                              This is because A-long is stil clear.
                              When there are enemies in both paths than the respawn is not even possible.

This also removes the problem that the supply line shouldn't be able to run through a solid wall.

Bad thing is that the mapper needs to create possible paths for this to work.
                              In-game nick: Nivve
                              Steam ID: Nivve_NL
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X