• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help us name our game modes

Realism and Custom should stay, they are well known phrases that give good info into what they are.

However 'Relaxed Realism' doesn't seem to fit it's description.

One to go with would be "Assisted Realism", or "Casual Realism"

Perhaps even "Simplified Realism", Just keep the word 'Realism' there so as people don't think it's suddenly ok to run about like a headless chicken. :D

Upvote 0
Personally, I'm wary of all those words that can mean different things to different people, different connotations. For example:

"Realism" - as someone said, sounds nerdy and boring to many; sounds good to the RO faithful, perhaps

"Casual" - in danger of sounding like Plants vs. Zombies :)

"Standard" - who's standard? Ours? Yours? CoD? CS?

My ideal would have people completely new to the game able to grasp the idea just by looking at the terms. In my mind, we are trying to get across two variants:

1. "Tactical realism, that isn't as nerdy as ARMA and is still accessible"

and

2. "Easier to grasp, with more assistance, designed to make you want more - or for when you feel like playing a bit simpler"

Good luck!

Upvote 0
My ideal would have people completely new to the game able to grasp the idea just by looking at the terms. In my mind, we are trying to get across two variants:

1. "Tactical realism, that isn't as nerdy as ARMA and is still accessible"

and

2. "Easier to grasp, with more assistance, designed to make you want more - or for when you feel like playing a bit simpler"

Good luck!

Well, my first question is, do you want to portray the casual mode as the standard mode with the realism mode being the "additional realism" mode, or do you want to portray the casual mode as the easier to grasp entry level mode with the realism mode being the "real way" to play it?

I can't see how you could possibly portray the realism mode as being the "additional realism" mode while saying that the casual mode is the "easier to grasp mode with more assistance" mode. Because that would imply a third mode in-between. IMO you can name one of the two modes standard, but you can't measure them by a mode in the middle that doesn't exist.

IMO you pretty much have to name one of them standard with the other one either implying that it's easier or more realistic. Two arbitrary terms with no "standard" will just lead to confusion.

Here's my take on it:

Casual mode: Standard
Realism mode: Eastern Front (this could be modular so you'd have "pacific front" for RS)
Custom: Custom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As Forssen suggested, "Immersive" might actually be a good alternative to "Realism", it's not reallly a charged word, which Realism can be.

But is it descriptive enough.. hmm, not sure.

"Casual" and "Normal" might not be great for "Relaxed" though, Casual suggest's it's somehow lower difficulty, the easy mode, and Normal sorta suggest's it's the "propper way" to play the game, and that's not really the right message either.

Reactions: Atomskytten
Upvote 0
I assume I can tweak certain effects for myself regardless of the server mode, i.e., I could make Relaxed Realism much harder on me personally. I also assume in a "Realism" server I would be forced to play the harder mode. If this is the case how about:

Open in place of Relaxed Realism
Advanced in place of Full Realism
Keep Custom

Open/Advanced can be mistaken for "Large Scale" and "Difficult" and such, plus they're not very descriptive.

Upvote 0
You could go with something basic like -

Veteran
Conscript
Custom

Or, you could have the player pick which army he will fight for first, then he would pick the mode.. this way you could apply a 'rank' category to the mode. For example if the player picked the German side his choices would then be -

Offiziere
Mannschaften
Sitte

Either way, you're going to need some additional descriptions (hover over pop-up or something to that effect) for each mode so people know what they are getting the first time around.. though you probably planned for that already :cool:

Upvote 0
Awareness
Immersion
Custom

Or:

HUD Options:
Full
Minimalist
Custom

Or:

Complete
Raw
Custom

Or

Assisted
Unassisted
Custom

It says what it does, and does not imply anything.
But if you want to imply difficulty:

Starter/Recruit
Experienced/Veteran
Custom

Or just add a subtitle to the other modes:

Awareness/Full:
Enables all HUD elements, recommended for players who are new to Red Orchestra, or simply want a more relaxed laid back experience.
Immersion/Minimalist: Disables most HUD elements, recommended for players who are familiar with the game and want a more immersive and tough experience.
Custom

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Relaxed - gay mode
Realism - badass mode

:D

But seriously, I think it could be "normal mode" for the realistic mode, as it's the standard mode of the franchise and "casual mode" for the relaxed realism mode (and maybe some message saying that the casual mode is recommended for new players). This way you'd still have the realism as the standard mode of the game, leaving relaxed realism as something like a training ground for newcomers, thus having more people playing in the full realism mode later on.

Upvote 0
"Realism" - as someone said, sounds nerdy and boring to many; sounds good to the RO faithful, perhaps

"Casual" - in danger of sounding like Plants vs. Zombies :)

"Standard" - who's standard? Ours? Yours? CoD? CS?
[...]

my takes:

Mode--> Mode Name - Description(no suggestion but what i thing will be in those modes).

Realism--> Advanced Mode -blablabla... helpers like "radar", and various Indications turned off.
relaxed Realism--> Default Mode -blablabla... all standard features and helpers on.
Custom--> Custom Mode - you decide!!

or

Realism--> Classic Mode - blablabla... like RO:OST.
relaxed Realism--> Default Mode -
Custom--> Custom Mode -

or

Realism--> Hardcore Mode - looking for a bigger challenge? blablabla...
Custom--> Custom Mode -

Upvote 0
my takes:

Mode--> Mode Name - Description(no suggestion but what i thing will be in those modes).

Realism--> Advanced Mode -blablabla... helpers like "radar", and various Indications turned off.
relaxed Realism--> Default Mode -blablabla... all standard features and helpers on.
Custom--> Custom Mode - you decide!!

or

Realism--> Classic Mode - blablabla... like RO:OST.
Custom--> Custom Mode -

or

Realism--> Hardcore Mode - looking for a bigger challenge? blablabla...
Custom--> Custom Mode -
I think the realism mode should be the default one.

Realism--> Default Mode / Normal Mode - the essence of Red Orchestra
Relaxed Realism--> Casual Mode - recommended for new players
Custom--> Custom Mode - have it your way (BK LoL :D)

Upvote 0
I would also like the realism mode to be the default one. But... there might be a problem calling it the "normal" or "default" mode, as newcomers would want to try it first, before trying "any other" modes.

So, I'd suggest having the relaxed realism as the default one. Either way, old RO fans already know which mode would bring in "the real" RO experience, so it's more important to show the new players where to start.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Relaxed -> KT mode
Realistic -> IS-2 mode
faceg.gif

Upvote 0
Realism- this is important that you call this game-mode realism why because hardcore would imply call of duty (hardcore is 1 shot kill wherever you shoot them with any weapon.) :)

edit:maybe hardcore realism still implaying the realism.

the problem i have with calling relaxed realism arcade arcade is it implys it will be like cod/bf/any other arcade shooter. and it won't be (as far as i know.) so relaxed realism for me seems the best way to go. unless someone can think of a better name. :)

edit: i like casual realism. or just casual.

Custom- well that explains it self and probably should stay the same as there isn't much you can call it. :)

id go with realism
casual realism
custom

you want to define your game modes so you immediately know what they are not have some code by rank to them. and make sure its easy to find out exactly what each game mode imply s. use a nicely placed definition someone in the game.

also to advertise it make a trailer about it. showing all the game modes with battles some awesome clips for battles from each one so that people know the difference before they buy the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0