• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help us name our game modes

I'll stick with my original idea of shaping the naming of difficulties around heroism, because the game is conceivably constructed around heroics at Stalingrad (or not, but I like to think it is :D), but with an alteration:

A) Heroic (or Heroism) versus Realism

B) Lax Heroics (or Heroism) versus Relaxed Realism

C) Customized Heroics (or Heroism) versus Custom

Reactions: barakas
Upvote 0
The problem with 'immersion' might be that people have different opinions about what immersion is. A lot of your suggestions are non-intuitive.

Keep in mind: a complete newbie, who has never played RO:O or even a realistic FPS before, should be able to immediately understand what the different kinds of game modes mean in the server browser. Without having to think about it.

So as I mentioned, the key here is to keep it as simple as possible.

If the different game modes are only about HUD changes, then Minimal HUD and Full HUD might work. But if other realism settings are part of it as well, then Full realism, Casual realism and Custom with icons and pop-up boxes would be good. On the other hand, I also like the sound of Relaxed realism.

Upvote 0
The problem with 'immersion' might be that people have different opinions about what immersion is. A lot of your suggestions are non-intuitive.

Keep in mind: a complete newbie, who has never played RO:O or even a realistic FPS before, should be able to immediately understand what the different kinds of game modes mean in the server browser. Without having to think about it.

So as I mentioned, the key here is to keep it as simple as possible.

If the different game modes are only about HUD changes, then Minimal HUD and Full HUD might work. But if other realism settings are part of it as well, then Full realism, Casual realism and Custom with icons and pop-up boxes would be good. On the other hand, I also like the sound of Relaxed realism.

I would assume a description would go next to the game type. Such as "Hero - minimal HUD" "Soldier - regular HUD + tooltips"

It might also help if we knew what other differences there are between the gametypes besides the HUD (Ramm mentioned their might be some non HUD differences).

Upvote 0
There are a lot of suggestions in this thread that are non-intuitive. I said in light of all reasoning, which is laid out in the other 8 pages of this thread, this is what I thought would fit best. I'm not going to retype all of the reasoning when it's already within the thread. Thank you for the criticism, though.

Upvote 0
There are a lot of suggestions in this thread that are non-intuitive. I said in light of all reasoning, which is laid out in the other 8 pages of this thread, this is what I thought would fit best. I'm not going to retype all of the reasoning when it's already within the thread. Thank you for the criticism, though.

Don't get me wrong, it's not a bad idea. ;) Certainly better than 'Rattenkrieg'...

Reactions: Fedorov
Upvote 0
I think you will either have to sacrifice how descriptive the names are or how neutral they are. You can't really have both.

My suggestions are:

Immersive mode - realism
Tactical awareness - relaxed realism

Realism/Immersive - realism
Standard/Normal/Casual - relaxed realism

Depending on what non HUD changes there is in relaxed realism you might be able to call it something like "Action mode".

Reactions: timur and Murphy
Upvote 0
So far, I can only say use "Custom" for Custom mode and nowhere should the word Hardcore be use.

EDIT: OK, maybe....

Veteran - Realism
Recruit - Relaxed Realism
Custom - Custom

After reading through the thread I like this one the most. It's to the point and people who haven't played RO before will get it right away. It's close enough to Hardcore/normal that's very standard in new fps's while not completely surrendering to convention.

Upvote 0
After reading through the thread I like this one the most. It's to the point and people who haven't played RO before will get it right away. It's close enough to Hardcore/normal that's very standard in new fps's while not completely surrendering to convention.

Agreed, I like Mr. Moe's suggestion the best.

Last edited:
Upvote 0