• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help us name our game modes

I'd avoid using the word "Hardcore" as that will start wars and divide the players into "Noobs, that can't handle the realism" and "Noobs that like to one-hit-kill because they can't aim" (even if the weapon damage is the same). It's just the stereotype that BF and COD have created, and I'd try to avoid it by all means.

I'll give it another try:
Relaxed - for relaxed realism
Tactical - for realism
Custom - for custom

Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
naming one mode implying that this will be for hardcore or better players isn't great idea unless you want constant forum wars about who has longer... erm who has better "skill" and division of whole scene.
So actual orginal names aren't so bad IMHO.
I would call them as this:
Realism = advanced
Relaxed realism = regular
Custom = custom

or:

realism = regular
relaxed realism = basic
Custom = custom

or

realism = advanced
relaxed realism = basic
custom = custom (well, its pretty obvious and hard to thing about other name that doesn't sound stupid or oversophisticated)

Upvote 0
naming one mode implying that this will be for hardcore or better players isn't great idea unless you want constant forum wars about who has longer... erm who has better "skill" and division of whole scene.

i agree with you and the devil bloke -

I know it's nice to have a 'joke' about the kind of ppl who will play the relaxed mode - and if we create lame names to mock them for it we will hopefully make them see the error of their ways.
yes i understand ppl are often having fun but even when serious it is tempting to create a name that sounds lacking.

However i'm sure there are some clever solutions out there if ppl think like a developer who clearly welcomes players enjoying either mode - however i can't find one at the moment beyond plain old 'normal'

Realistic has thrown up some good suggestions though-
Personally i think if 'vietnam mode' was good enough for vietcong then I'd stick with 'stalingrad' for realistic - it sounds neither off putting nor elitist yet should be somewhat enticing.

You area limited cos you can't really use phrases that are particular to either side, however if this was my game i would have an option to change the menu/front end to either a german or russian style, (and the box copy would have a reversable cover too but i digress) and then you could incorporate appropriate names to match your choice regarding difficulty.

Upvote 0
I just think that "Relaxed" is the perfect name for the relaxed realism, as it's just that. No one will mock you for playing a mode so you could relax and have fun. It doesn't say anything about your skill, or how hardcore or noob you are.

P.S. I'm against using names of battles or type of battles, or type of troops, like Stalingrad, Rattenkrieg or stuff that not everyone might know or understand without googling that word first.
If I understand correctly, the mode name will be just a field in the server browser, so it just makes sense to use words that actually describe the mode.

Reactions: u-s-e-r
Upvote 0
I know isnt supposed to be a discussion thread but...

As I haven't played many other crappy FPS games, does hardcore often imply that people have less health (as in die faster like bf bc2)? If so, then the familiarity of the name should be just bad :/.

Exactly what I meant, yo. The usual definition of "hardcore" will be totally wrong in RO2.

Upvote 0
I kind of like the word "Tactical" for the Realistic mode. But I don't think it will work well for people coming in from other games. I consider myself a pretty hardcore realism gamer, and when I play on "Tactical" servers in COD I absolutely hate it. They always have all of these insane rules like:
- Don't shoot unless you are in iron sights
- Don't shoot if you are moving
- Don't ever jump
- Don't throw a grenade unless you can see the person you are grenading
- Don't shoot people on the second Tuesday in November
- Whatever you do, do NOT have any fun!

So if I am a lot more hardcore than the average COD player, and those tactical servers tick me off, then someone coming in from COD would look at it and go "hrm Tactical, I guess I will avoid those servers".

Upvote 0
I kind of like the word "Tactical" for the Realistic mode. But I don't think it will work well for people coming in from other games. I consider myself a pretty hardcore realism gamer, and when I play on "Tactical" servers in COD I absolutely hate it. They always have all of these insane rules like:
- Don't ever jump

So if I am a lot more hardcore than the average COD player, and those tactical servers tick me off, then someone coming in from COD would look at it and go "hrm Tactical, I guess I will avoid those servers".

That is actually a great example.

I've had those same encounters. Especially the "Don't shoot people on the second Tuesday in November".

I still tend to think the "Realism" title is a great one. The "Relaxed Realism" title is the one I personally think needs changing.

Upvote 0
- Don't ever jump

O.K, I see nothing wrong with that (except the second Tuesday in November, cause I'm working (someone has too)....1st Tuesday is fine:p)...and you admit to playing CoD MW2....shame on You...even the CoD Vets would say shame on You.....Be Jesus even Activision would say Shame on You:p:D...

My ideas
Welshie Mode....hardcore...so Ard that You have to play with a full webbing and combat gear...with the Missis stood next to You with a .44 Magnum pointed at yer head for when You die....in fact "well Ard"

Alan Wiliamson Mode...Kinda like RO meets My Little Pony...a sure winner and will get past the Australian censors Mode, where no body dies and the blood is green

The super sexy Mode...Will be banned in America...cause Sex is bad...decapitacion Good.

The Arnold Squashaburger Mode...where even if the dialog is in English...You'll still need subtitles (will be popular with Lemon;)).

above is in jest for People slow on the ole uptake...

other than that

Realism Mode with No HUD
Relaxed Realism Mode with full Hud
Custom Mode with user defined Hud

works for Me.

But I'm loverable:D

Upvote 0
- Don't ever jump

nah i don't like tactical because it's unrelated to the option - unless there is a lot more difference between the options than i am lead to believe.

Upvote 0
How about when if you highlight WHATEVER THE OPTIONS ARE CALLED with the mouse, some sort of box pops up and tells you the situation with the HUD. But really, I think that simply calling the modes what they are wouldn't be a bad idea.

Full realism/minimal hud (realistic)
Casual realism/full hud (casual)
Custom

Just leave it at that, I guess.

Upvote 0