Announcement

Collapse

Forum Rules

CHANGES
  • Items changed, or highlighted for future attention, on 20 July 2013 are highlighted in yellow.
Global Rules
  • Forum moderators may or may not be Tripwire Interactive staff members, but either way, please respect them, as they are the authority of the forums. Speaking to them with intentional spite will not be tolerated and may result in the loss of your forum privileges.
  • Any decisions made by any member of staff or moderator are final and not subject to discussion. Doing so may result in a ban from the site. The owners of Tripwire Interactive Forums reserve the right to remove, edit, move or close any thread for any reason, as well as to remove access to the forums for any individuals with or without warning for breaches of the rules.
  • If you have a complaint regarding another user, PM the appropriate moderators, or if you have an administrative issue, [RO]schneidzekk.
General Behaviour
  • Use the search function before posting. Chances are your question has already been answered.
  • Use a title that describes the content of your post. Don't use all caps or special characters to draw attention either in the title or the body of the post.
  • Up to 10 emoticons are allowed in a post
  • Political discussions are prohibited.
  • Flaming - We do not tolerate abusive, malicious, personal attacks. You will be banned if you persist in this behavior.
  • Trolls - Anyone deliberately antagonizing other forum users by posting 'flame bait' type messages is not welcome. You will be banned (possibly without warning depending on the severity of the issue) if you persist in this behavior.
  • Personal insults (directed at anyone) will result in a ban. If the behavior is not corrected, it will be made more permanent.
  • Constructive criticism is welcome. However keep in mind we (and other forums goers) may not agree with you. If you can't keep the conversation civil, you will be removed from the forums.
  • The use of hyperbole, one liners, and images as part of a forum debate is likely to get you infracted. You have many ways to participate and be a constructive part of this community, even when you disagree.
  • To make the highlighted bits above 100% clear to everyone, the following WILL NOT BE TOLERATED:
    1. Personal attacks, insults, antagonism of any forum-goers, moderators or Tripwire Interactive staff.
    2. Breaches of confidentiality and privacy of any sort.
    3. Any form of racism, bigotry or attacks on race, creed or color.
    4. Linking to posts on other forums related to ANY of the above, whether you are the originator or not, without exception.
  • There has been too much in the way of abhorrent personal behaviors in the past. These will cease. It doesn't matter who started it or who reacted to it - it will all result in moderator action. If you have to indulge your hatreds, for whatever reason, go do it elsewhere - and do not try and drag our forum-goers over to enjoy your hatreds.
  • We understand that people have strong feelings about our games, what we do for a living and how we respond (or don't) to comments on the forums. We all aren't going to agree about everything. So, BE CIVIL in your disagreements!
DO NOTs
  • DO NOT Transmit any message, information, data, text, software or graphic files, or other materials ("Content") that is unlawful (including illegal drug usage), harmful, threatening, abusive, harassing, defamatory, vulgar, obscene, libelous, hateful or racially, ethnically, sexually or otherwise objectionable. This includes publicizing private information, such as individual's real names, IP addresses and anything else that might be used to identify them to the freakier members of the internet. This also means you may NOT publically share private communications (PM, email or anything else) without the original poster's permission.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any Content that contains a virus, Trojan horse or other mischievous Content.
  • DO NOT Post or transmit any unsolicited advertising, promotional materials, "junk mail", "spam", "chain letters", "pyramid schemes" or any other form of solicitation.
  • DO NOT link to posts on any other forums, or any other form of media, that breaches our rules. It will be treated just the same as if you had posted it here.
  • DO NOT Double Post, cross Post or restart closed threads.
  • DO NOT Intentionally or unintentionally violate any applicable local, state, national or international law, rule or regulation.
  • DO NOT Upload or transmit any Content that infringes any patent, trademark, trade secret, copyright or other proprietary rights ("Rights") of any party.
  • DO NOT post cheats or exploits; THIS INCLUDES ALL/ANY REFERENCES TO HACKING, PIRATED SOFTWARE etc.
  • DO NOT complain about being banned from a server and DO NOT complain about other players on servers - that is between you and the admin, no need to get the community involved.
Username, Avatar and Signature Rules
  • Multiple registrations result in a ban.
  • No offensive user names
  • All signatures should not exceed the following size limits, you can have both text and images
  • - For text signatures: 4 lines normal size, 8 lines small size and up to 100 chars per line. Font sizes above 2 are not allowed. (Blank lines count as lines.)
  • - For images in signatures: 1 image up to 400 pixels wide, 150 pixels tall and 100kb in size plus 2 lines normal size text and up to 100 chars per line
Netiquette: Written text has no inflection, and, as such, you should be careful how you write your messages as interpretation will vary from person to person. Please take advantage of the built-in emoticons to add such expression to your words. Please remember the golden rule: to treat other forum users the way you would like to be treated. Please use common courtesy, and enjoy using Red Orchestra's forums
Offensive material
The following is a list of some things that MAY be considered "offensive" by the moderators and the team. This is NOT an exclusive list and it does depend very much on context.

Crossing the line into "offensive" territory is likely to get you asked to change your name, sig or avatar or to withdraw/delete posts. This will be done politely by the moderators. If you refuse to comply further action WILL be taken once started, ultimately leading to banning from the forums.

A key point: please attempt to use your brains. What is mild humour to you may well be deeply offensive to others. While we have no intention of acting as politically-correct "thought police", we are on the lookout for those things that can cause offense and, in some cases, are actually still illegal in some jurisdictions.
  1. Names recalling notorious war criminals or personalities.
  2. Names recalling atrocities and war crimes in general, or units with particularly odious histories.
  3. Use of obscenities and expletives.
  4. Blatant racism, mysogynism or many other "ism"s.
  5. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Nazism or Fascism; this does not include pics of soldiers who happen to have such symbols on their uniform, unless we feel this has been done to provoke. Please note that many Nazi symbols (including the Swastika) are still illegal in Germany and other countries and considered deeply offensive by many Europeans.
  6. Use of symbolism and regalia recalling Stalinism.
  7. On both the previous two, the moderators' views on the intention and impact of use of such symbols will be final - not yours. Please be understanding if you are advised to change something.
  8. In general, if a sig/avatar represents your allegiances in-game and is clearly "in part", it is likely to be fine; if the moderators feel you are trying to demonstrate unpalatable political allegiances, or to use it in an attempt to ridicule or provoke others you WILL be asked to change it. RO is NOT the place to make any extremist political statements of any kind.
Examples:
So people get the idea, some examples that would be considered offensive, numbered as above:
  1. "Hitler", "Beria"
  2. "NKVD Blocking Detachment", "Einsatzgruppen"
  3. This one should be pretty obvious...
  4. So should this - and it includes calling all Germans "Nazis" and all Soviets/Russians "Commies". It got boring 50 years ago, so stop it.
  5. Use of swastikas, fasces, SS-runes and so on for the Axis.
  6. There is actually very little overt symbolism from the Stalinist era; the hammer-and-sickle isn't offensive per se.
A simple rule-of-thumb: many Europeans find Nazi symbolism of any sort offensive; many Americans still find Soviet symbolism offensive. Engage your brain before using.

Final Note: this is NOT open to debate, so please do NOT start whining and moaning if a moderator asks you to change something. They will advise at first, giving reasons, then, if you take no notice, they will step up the pressure through to banning.
See more
See less

Help us name our game modes

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• We want players to play the more realiistic mode, such as it would be more fun, so maybe:

Regular
    Simple
    Custom

Regular
    Traditional
    Custom

Realism
    Softcore
    Custom

Comment

• Originally posted by NoxNoctum View Post
      I like those three. Though I wouldn't use "complete" as that implies the others are incomplete. Also I'd use Full HUD not just "Full". Same with Minimalist etc.

I still think using some kind of historical names would be the coolest though. (with thorough descriptions when you mouse over of course) It gives flavor to the game. Players and reviewers alike enjoy those kind of simple touches.

Maybe:

For Ruskies:

Realism >> "Guards Mechanized Division" (elite and better equipped unit) or "Penal Unit" or "Gulag" (my favorite , and one that most people would immediately recognize)
      Relaxed Realism >> "Rifle division"
      Custom >> "Razvedchiki" (I really can't think of something else historical that would fit this other than NKVD but that raises too many redflags)

I very much like the idea of having separate names depending on what side you choose.

For Germans:

Realism >> "Panzergrenadier" or "Sturmkompanie" (again more "elite" and better equipped unit)
      Relaxed Realism >> "Volkssturm" or "Volksgrenadier" (implies it's easier without making people feel stupid because anything with "sturm" in it sounds badass---and yes I know there were no Volkssturm units at Stalingrad)
      Custom >> "Wehrwolf" is the only thing I could think of for this... either that or custom

People aren't as stupid as you think they are and again many very popular games have used historical names etc. for units instead of some bland English relabeling. And again, it gives the game FLAVORRRRR!!! (which is so important IMO and can make the difference between a great game and an all time classic)

The way it would play out is... for example, you mouse over "Panzergrenadier mode" and immediately a nice, visually appealing tooltip comes up that explains "A more realistic mode for hardened veterans!"

I definitely would NOT use classic as that sorta implies "old and outdated". Also I would not use "Standard" for any mode as that will make most players jump to that mode which will result in bad things happening. (if it's the harder setting that's "standard", people will give up easily, if it's the easy mode that's "standard" it'll tick off the realism nuts and make it less likely for people to eventually go to the harder setting once they've learned the game mechanics). Arcade is also a bad idea IMO because it implies that people should play that mode like they would TF2 or something.
      I really like this idea, However I would still leave "custom" as "custom." It's something more neutral than realism/hardcore/recruit/normal or any of the other suggestions.

I think that it will also ensure that the players read the explanation text. It doesn't have a connotation at first glance that entices one direction or the other, and it is distinctive enough that they can be easily recognized.

Also, if you have the time, I would suggest making a first time login video similar to Brink's. Which explains the difference between difficulty levels, which is more important for Red Orchestra than and explanation of the gamemodes imo. Any explanation of the gamemodes could be nice, but would likely be extraneous information.

Comment

• Yes. Custom should probably just be custom.

I was thinking though, having to choose a side before you choose a difficulty setting would be really stupid, so I think it'd be better if while you're installing the game you get to choose whether you want Russian or German designations for difficulty settings.

TWI could (and I think should) really take this idea much further and have entirely different menus/backgrounds with different menu music depending on which side you choose. I mean, they already have different music for each side that will change depending on how the battle is going. Having a customizable menu would fit right in with that theme.

I know it's just aesthetics, but people really like those kinds of things, and I can't think of many games with that kind of feature. (obviously there should an option to switch from German>Russian or vice versa in the options though) Also I'm no programmer, but I'm guessing menu artwork takes a lot less time and money than well... pretty much everything else in the game . So I think the payoff would beat whatever extra work is involved. Hell, you could probably find some really talented artists on here who would do it for free :P.

I know I'm starting get OT here, but I also think having a "moving menu" would be really cool. I remember way back when I first booted up OFP thinking how freaking cool it was to have an M113 driving around the screen shooting stuff while I messed around with the game settings before starting the campaign. For RO2 it could be either RL WW2 footage (showing Germans or Russians fighting depending on which you chose---and carefully picked footage of course), or in-game footage mimicking RL footage, or just "movie" type footage (dunno what you would call this... the stuff that games use for intros and such).

How cool would it be too boot up the game and you've already got bullets flying across the screen before you even start playing! (though it should probably be dimmed or something so as not to be distracting/annoying)
        Last edited by NoxNoctum; 05-31-2011, 05:49 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by kllr101 View Post
          He means he never realised how much work then name of a mode in the game, a line of text, can be, and how much detail people go into with these things.
          Yes that's what I meant .

Comment

• id go with classic
            casual
            custom

i recently changed my mind also they all start with C's so its catchy. which game-mode do i want to play its that one that starts with C.

Comment

• And what about using old values:
              1. Platinum (real mode)
              2. Gold (relaxed mode)
              3. Silver (custom mode)

Comment

• Originally posted by Apos View Post
                Relaxed - Amateur
                Realism - Hero
                Custom - Custom
                This is my favourite one. Relaxed realism is for amateurs anyhow
                sigpic

Comment

• Don't name the modes, just use emotes:

Spoiler!

Comment

• Originally posted by Fedorov View Post
                    Don't name the modes, just use emotes:

Spoiler!
                    lol put WWII era Russian or German helmets on them and you're good. Or make "realistic" = .

A Dedicated RO Veteran since 2003
                    Check out my RO videos! RED ORCHESTRA: Overture to War - YouTube

Comment

• Battle Hardened
                      Frontline Soldier
                      Custom

OR

Hardcore
                      Regular
                      Custom

Comment

• "Ostfront Veterans" / "Ostfront Old Glory" / "Elite Class" / "Stalingrad Heroes"

"Recruit" / "Beginner"

"Custom"
                        [LEFT][URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=50276"][IMG]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=19388&dateline=1315599415[/IMG][/URL]
                        [/LEFT]

Comment

• What was default in RO1? I always thought that DM and HUD off was the "real" RO, although no servers seem so run it that way.

Somehow I would not be mad if the "relaxed realism" would be "Classic", while the other one would be like, "Veritable" or something.

And btw, won't people be able to name their custom modes? I want to remember something about the server config being able to be like "Oh this is the ROL-setup", so when you browse the servers you see some as "classic", some as "veritable" and some as "ROL" etc.

Are these modes including all server variables?

Comment

• Ok some of you guys are REALLY overthinking this (bswearer) and getting off topic. Keep the mode discussion in another thread, and just post three names like this:

Realism
                            Relaxed Realism
                            Custom

That is all I really need to see, is a list of good possible names. Some caveats here:

1) Don't make any of them longer than 2 words
                            2) It needs to get across the point to new players simply and so they will understand
                            3) The "default mode" is Relaxed Realism if you could really say there is a default mode
                            4) The changes for Realism mode won't just be HUD changes, it could be other things as well

So less discussion, and more name suggestions please

P.S. Sorry Alan, I'm not a fan of Classic. Realism mode isn't necessarily "just like RO1". It is just more "hardcore" than Relaxed Realism mode.
                            [I support "RO Forums Classic" mode!!!]

Comment

• hero(realism)
                              soldier(relaxed)
                              custom

Comment

• Realism - Normal.
                                Relaxed Realism - Novice or Recruit.

If I am not mistaken Relaxed Realism was added in so people will easy into the RO playing style and eventually move into the Realism mode. This name style would indicate this.

And even relaxed realism mode is more realistic than the "Realism" modes of CoD/BF/whatever. We know the game is supposed to be somewhat realistic, so no need to put realism in the game mode title.

Comment

Working...
                                X