• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help us name our game modes

Would it be a bad idea to block people from playing "full realism" until they've at least hopped into a "relaxed realism" server? :confused:

But anyway, it's important that the full realism mode is not made to look badass because we'll get "lul this moed is 4 me, im a hardcoar pr0 at cs" types of people hopping into the server when they are not ready to play a realism game. "training" or "novice mode" doesn't work either, because so many people in games these days skip these things without a second thought.

Upvote 0
full immersion mode (limited hud, blahblah, short explanation what makes this special as mouse-over)
realistic battle awareness (a hud that relays all the information to you that you would have had in Stalingrad, blah blah, I'm sure you can explain it better than me - also mouse-over, of course)

custom settings

Not sure about the exact wording, but I think that's a good general route to take. The "relaxed realism" mode should be advertised as a mode that uses gamey features like hud icons and whatnot to relay information to you an actual soldier would have had at the time. As such, it's not really so much about "relaxed realism" as it is about "accessible realism" or rather, "realism that just works without you having to put a lot of extra effort into it as a gamer".
The full-on realism mode is kind of a mode for realism-nerds who don't want any artificial looking helpers and want to make do with what they have if they have nothing but themselves, their microphones and their rifles...
At least that's the way I see it. If it's wrong, blame your marketing person, not me, lol. Anyway, I think putting it this way doesn't demean any mode as being inferior but it still makes each one preferable to the crowd who would probably prefer it. The naming that is, not my explanation.

Upvote 0
You already know the basics of each game mode. Nobody else seems to have had this sort of issue as you. They're merely asking for naming conventions, really not that difficult.

actually, we barely know anything. also, you're seriously implying that we we can make legitimate name suggestions by merely knowing "the basics"? so, there's this building the city is planning to put into the downtown area....it looks like it might be a rectangular shape and it might be some type of commercial building for a business or industry etc... hmmm let's just call it "business skyscraper #102" since that's what the "basics" tell us :p

Don't double post either.

i'm sorry, is that a rule? come on bro.....your two posts haven't contributed anything to the thread, yet you're coming down on mine (which have all been on topic and contributed to the thread) and personally attacking and insulting me for "having an issue "? unbelievable :rolleyes:

That's obviously not true, atleast 3 or 4 sepperate posters have asked for more details in this thread, myself included, because we only have a vague idea about what's different between the two, and no idea what exactly can be altered in the custom mode, that really hasen't been disgussed.

All we know is that it's supposedly mostly HUD related, but aside from that, it's all speculation on our part.

exactly.....thus the nature of many of the responses that have been posted.

Why complain? I mean how many dev teams post a topic like this?

What makes it "complaining"?

I just think it would be helpfull to know more so we're all on the same page, and looking at some of the suggestions, it seems not everyone has the same understanding of what the differen't modes are supposed to accomplish..

yup, as Grobut said, nobody's complaining....people are just looking for clarity ;)

I never thought the naming of game modes could be so controversial.

Makes me feel sorry for dev teams around the world lol.

they asked for input, and that's what the community is giving. i'm lost as to where there's any controversy or issues at hand....:confused:

Upvote 0
Think I should voice again to peeps making suggestions that you might want to avoid making one sound like a game for panzies. KF had that problem in that nobody really wanted to play an "easy" or "normal" game when they started, and often jumped straight into a "hard" server, because they were used to current naming conventions wheres "hard" = beginner.

Out of curiosity are the only differences between the two in the ammount of tac info you get? or are there also damage differences? if not you could consider:

Xtra Hud info
reduced Hud info
Custom
-------------------

Full Immersion
Immersive
Custom Mode

--------------

HardCore: Reduced Aides
HardCore
Custom
(Swap HardCore with Immersive/Immersion, ClassicRO etc)
(Swap Reduced Aides with Reduced Intel, Minimal Hud)

*Kinda think this style should work, just swap out HardCore with your choice of wording for "hard mode", both versions will be "hardcore" compared to regular games like cod.

Upvote 0
Relaxed - Amateur
Realism - Hero
Custom - Custom

I would go for smthg like this :

Classic
Enhanced
Custom

there's two good ideas, they get the point across but don't come across being completely full of themselves that people will make up their own names for them :)

Select your server mode:
1. true
2. less true
3. unreal

oh I see what you did there....

Upvote 0
So as you guys are probably aware, we plan on running 3 game modes in RO2 that are currently called:

Realism - designed for hardcore players, realism/tactical players, etc
Relaxed Realism - designed for more casual shooter players
Custom (custom is for when someone modifies settings that will make it not fit in either Realism or Relaxed Realism).

Realism - Hardcore facemelt ragequit failuredom Mode

Relaxed Realism - failure mode

Custom - Epic leet funtime mode

Reactions: -[SiN]-bswearer
Upvote 0
I like those three. Though I wouldn't use "complete" as that implies the others are incomplete. Also I'd use Full HUD not just "Full". Same with Minimalist etc.

I still think using some kind of historical names would be the coolest though. (with thorough descriptions when you mouse over of course) It gives flavor to the game. Players and reviewers alike enjoy those kind of simple touches.

Maybe:

For Ruskies:

Realism >> "Guards Mechanized Division" (elite and better equipped unit) or "Penal Unit" or "Gulag" (my favorite :D, and one that most people would immediately recognize)
Relaxed Realism >> "Rifle division"
Custom >> "Razvedchiki" (I really can't think of something else historical that would fit this other than NKVD but that raises too many redflags)

I very much like the idea of having separate names depending on what side you choose.

For Germans:

Realism >> "Panzergrenadier" or "Sturmkompanie" (again more "elite" and better equipped unit)
Relaxed Realism >> "Volkssturm" or "Volksgrenadier" (implies it's easier without making people feel stupid because anything with "sturm" in it sounds badass---and yes I know there were no Volkssturm units at Stalingrad)
Custom >> "Wehrwolf" is the only thing I could think of for this... either that or custom

People aren't as stupid as you think they are and again many very popular games have used historical names etc. for units instead of some bland English relabeling. And again, it gives the game FLAVORRRRR!!! (which is so important IMO and can make the difference between a great game and an all time classic)

The way it would play out is... for example, you mouse over "Panzergrenadier mode" and immediately a nice, visually appealing tooltip comes up that explains "A more realistic mode for hardened veterans!"

I definitely would NOT use classic as that sorta implies "old and outdated". Also I would not use "Standard" for any mode as that will make most players jump to that mode which will result in bad things happening. (if it's the harder setting that's "standard", people will give up easily, if it's the easy mode that's "standard" it'll tick off the realism nuts and make it less likely for people to eventually go to the harder setting once they've learned the game mechanics). Arcade is also a bad idea IMO because it implies that people should play that mode like they would TF2 or something.

I really like this idea, However I would still leave "custom" as "custom." It's something more neutral than realism/hardcore/recruit/normal or any of the other suggestions.

I think that it will also ensure that the players read the explanation text. It doesn't have a connotation at first glance that entices one direction or the other, and it is distinctive enough that they can be easily recognized.

Also, if you have the time, I would suggest making a first time login video similar to Brink's. Which explains the difference between difficulty levels, which is more important for Red Orchestra than and explanation of the gamemodes imo. Any explanation of the gamemodes could be nice, but would likely be extraneous information.

Upvote 0
Yes. Custom should probably just be custom.

I was thinking though, having to choose a side before you choose a difficulty setting would be really stupid, so I think it'd be better if while you're installing the game you get to choose whether you want Russian or German designations for difficulty settings.

TWI could (and I think should) really take this idea much further and have entirely different menus/backgrounds with different menu music depending on which side you choose. I mean, they already have different music for each side that will change depending on how the battle is going. Having a customizable menu would fit right in with that theme.

I know it's just aesthetics, but people really like those kinds of things, and I can't think of many games with that kind of feature. (obviously there should an option to switch from German>Russian or vice versa in the options though) Also I'm no programmer, but I'm guessing menu artwork takes a lot less time and money than well... pretty much everything else in the game ;). So I think the payoff would beat whatever extra work is involved. Hell, you could probably find some really talented artists on here who would do it for free :p.

I know I'm starting get OT here, but I also think having a "moving menu" would be really cool. I remember way back when I first booted up OFP thinking how freaking cool it was to have an M113 driving around the screen shooting stuff while I messed around with the game settings before starting the campaign. For RO2 it could be either RL WW2 footage (showing Germans or Russians fighting depending on which you chose---and carefully picked footage of course), or in-game footage mimicking RL footage, or just "movie" type footage (dunno what you would call this... the stuff that games use for intros and such).

How cool would it be too boot up the game and you've already got bullets flying across the screen before you even start playing! (though it should probably be dimmed or something so as not to be distracting/annoying)

Last edited:
Upvote 0