• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help us name our game modes

Veteran, Conscript, Custom would be straightforward, but if you're only going to have three modes and the main attraction of the game is how manly it is, I'm thinking that calling the most commonly used mode "conscript" or similar is too insulting to the new player to be a good choice.

How about something that's based on good descriptive verbs and adjectives about war and soldiers, like Grizzled, Freshfaced, and Custom? Or Merciless, Grinding, and Custom? Or Hopeless, Brave, and custom?

Upvote 0
Personally, I'm wary of all those words that can mean different things to different people, different connotations. For example:

true true....but shouldn't it be the game's creators, Tripwire Interactive (you guys), who establishes the connotations?

"Realism" - as someone said, sounds nerdy and boring to many; sounds good to the RO faithful, perhaps

while that may be the case to some, it's a much better alternative to the cliche "HardCOOOOORE!!!!" ;) i personally don't mind the term Realism because if we really think about it, ROOST's (only) game mode wasn't quite as "realistic" as other "tactical" games (ARMA, or according to some even DH).......then again it wasn't as "gamey" as COD/MOH/BF etc... it was just imo, the perfect blend for fps gaming.

"Casual" - in danger of sounding like Plants vs. Zombies :)

agreed....i don't like the terms Casual, Arcade, Novice, Recruit, Beginner, Normal or any term that might be seen as comical or insulting towards a skill level.

"Standard" - who's standard? Ours? Yours? CoD? CS?

well, the reason why I threw that term out there is because imo, since there are going to be multiple game modes offered, one will (or should) be the default i.e. the standard for severs. but now thinking back on it, "standard" might give the connotation that other modes are like, the wierd black sheep versions etc....

1. "Tactical realism, that isn't as nerdy as ARMA and is still accessible"

while maybe insulting towards ARMA players, seriously, that's an accurate statement and props for saying it ;)

2. "Easier to grasp, with more assistance, designed to make you want more - or for when you feel like playing a bit simpler"

imo, the "default" game mode should already feel like this.....to me, ROOST's game mode felt like that already. apparently some thought otherwise and thus we're seeing all the new HUD additions for RO2. i could understand some more "assistance" being added to the "default/standard" mode for RO2 so long as it's still pretty close to ROOST's game mode. however, i don't see any need to define an "easier" mode than what we already had for the first game. and like Lemon who seemed to agree with my ideas regarding a "standard", i do think that there should be some type of standard/default game mode that servers will start on.....this should be the mode that the large majority (say 70-80% of the playerbase) would most likely end up enjoying and play over the life of the game.

so to sum it up, i'd just one change one term from my original three names/descriptions that i suggested earlier:

Classic- the most similar mode to ROOST's original game mode...this, instead of calling it "standard", although this would be the default game mode for RO2...would include a default HUD similar to ROOST with possibly a few of the new more "helpful" additions.
Realism - slightly more realistic than ROOST's original game mode with certain HUD items not being included, delayed death messages etc....
Custom - could be more realistic than Realism, or less realistic than "Classic" (Standard). i.e. more realistic = no death messages at all, no HUD icons at all etc.... less realistic = every icon imaginable on :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Relaxed -> KT mode
Realistic -> :IS2: mode
faceg.gif

FFS Federov, you stole my idea :mad::p

wait, you didn't suggest custom mode...

Custom: Clown Car

nevermind :(

hmm, what about

realism: [your local region's special forces here]
relaxed: [your local region's regular army here]
custom: [your local region's intelligence service here]

eg for a modern example, the russians get
realism:spetznaz
relaxed: army
custom: fsb etc

although that might have problems with some special forces/army elites being more notorious than others :\

Upvote 0
Each is a difficulty variation from hardest to custom. I think the difficulties should be more creative to symbolize the battle which RO:HOS is emulating, and thus each difficulty should be a variation of heroism (as each side had its heroes and heroic moments):

Difficulties:

Heroic Difficulty (or Heroism) (to replace realism):

A difficulty aimed for combat veteran, unrepentant, and all-around heroic players.

Courageous Difficulty (or Courage) (to replace relaxed realism):

An intermediate and casual difficulty for players with the courage to enter the fray of Stalingrad, and for those untested blazing a path to heroism.

Steadfast Difficulty (or Steadfast) (to replace custom):

A game mod difficulty designed for the not so fainthearted and experienced players looking for pinches of Heroic and Courageous difficulties for a more modified and customized gaming experience.

Each difficulty can have a small blurb to describe what a player may experience while playing in a server running that difficulty level or game mode. Heroism being the accumulation of all heroic attributes, Courage the foundation of heroism, and Steadfast the foundation of an unwavering player.

Reactions: ductape3
Upvote 0
I think "Realistic" simply entails everything that RO is about and fits well. Imagining RO as otherwise makes naming that "Casual" difficulty, well, difficult. I'll have to get back to that one. :)

Might've already been asked/answered and I missed it, but would the realism difficulty be the same level as RO:Ost? I don't want to throw out misnomers.

Upvote 0
I like the idea of using history or war-related references for the names with descriptions of the game-modes underneath. This always makes it more interesting in my opinion. I also like suggestions that make the most "hardcore" mode referred to as "normal" in some way to suggest that this is the mode for RO fans or those who want the previously established "RO Feel/Experience."

So, here is what I suggest:

"Red Orchestra" (Normal, all realism options on)
"Pride of the Motherland" (Relaxed realism, more indicators and assists)
"Customized Warfare" (Modes with customized server-side settings)

I think these would work rather nicely without sounding overly "gamey." I'm also tempted to name the highest level difficulty "Book of :IS2:" but I fear this would cause some confusion among those who are not aware of the holy :IS2:'s teachings ;)

Upvote 0
I think "Realistic" simply entails everything that RO is about and fits well. Imagining RO as otherwise makes naming that "Casual" difficulty, well, difficult. I'll have to get back to that one. :)

Might've already been asked/answered and I missed it, but would the realism difficulty be the same level as RO:Ost? I don't want to throw out misnomers.

remember this isn't about difficulty this is about game modes not difficulty.

Upvote 0
I personally think that just going

hardcore or hardcore realistic
standard or realistic
custom

That way you don't make one seems less tactical or arcadey
also since most games do that I think the average user would understand it better.

standard is still realistic and hardcore is the same just more "hardcore" no visual aids etc.

Upvote 0