• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Help us name our game modes

In all seriousness I think Veteran/Soldier/Custom has been one of the most intuitive ones so far.

I have to agree. I would like to have Hero for "realism" difficulty, and as seeing that most people that will play HOS will have played first-person shooters of one kind or another, Veteran should constitute "relaxed realism," while Custom is straight to the point and is suitable.

(Another of) My take:

Hero
Veteran
Custom

Reactions: Norse Soldat
Upvote 0
I have to agree. I would like to have Hero for "realism" difficulty, and as seeing that most people that will play HOS will have played first-person shooters of one kind or another, Veteran should constitute "relaxed realism," while Custom is straight to the point and is suitable.

(Another of) My take:

Hero
Veteran
Custom
I like that idea, the hero part ties in with the rest of the game giving some coherency.

Upvote 0
I like to keep things simple

Immersive - realism
Accessable - relaxed realism
Custom - custom

Just my two cents.

I think these are the best suggestions so far.

Immersive is less controversial than "realism" and its just as descriptive.

Accessable is descriptive like "casual" but is less off putting to people who might think casual means "not serious" or "easy".

It also avoids calling one mode better than the other. "Hero" or "enhanced" are skewed towards those, since the alternative is not a hero, or not enhanced.

I have to say, the idea of naming the modes after army divisions is extremely bad. It's a pretty much useless name since 90%+ of people are going to have to read the description to tell what the mode is actually about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Recruit
Veteran
Custom

I don't think that using ranks plays with the emotions of the players, games have been doing that for years. I didn't play Balls of Steel mode just because I didn't want to be called a sissy, people know what they are getting into.

I do like the inclusion of a Classic mode for those people who came from RO1 it would be a nice throwback.

And you need to be careful with names like Immersive and Tactical, because it implies that the other modes are lacking in those areas (which they may not be).

Upvote 0
I think these are the best suggestions so far.

Immersive is less controversial than "realism" and its just as descriptive.

Accessable is descriptive like "casual" but is less off putting to people who might think casual means "not serious" or "easy".

It also avoids calling one mode better than the other. "Hero" or "enhanced" are skewed towards those, since the alternative is not a hero, or not enhanced.

I have to say, the idea of naming the modes after army divisions is extremely bad. It's a pretty much useless name since 90%+ of people are going to have to read the description to tell what the mode is actually about.

I don't think they describe the game modes at all. The game in general needs to be immersive and accessable; that is the sort of game which TWI is trying to develop.

You can also argue that a difficulty named immersive is not accessable, or that accessable difficulty is not immersive. Those are adjectives that are not describing the difficulty of the game mode, but rather the atmosphere which a player may find himself in, and I would hope that I find the game accessable and immersive in whichever of the three game modes I find myself in, otherwise the game is a bust.

Upvote 0
Maybe we should be thinking about which modes we want to try, and why. And, what is most important, what ARE the main differences? if its only a lack of the already limited HUD, and no KD messages in the "realism mode", then its not that much of a difference from "relaxed realism mode".

And, sometimes I see people from these forums (yes, TWI Forums!) in game, and I don't like the idea that I won't be playing with some of the people in these forums as they are going for a different game mode.

I have to say, it almost seems unnecessary having 2 game modes. PLEASE PROVE ME WRONG.

Reactions: -[SiN]-bswearer
Upvote 0
In the way you speak of game modes, there will be more than 2 game modes. If every unique server configuration will be described as a "game mode", then there will be lots of them! Unless TWI does wonders and configurated the 2 default ones so great that there is no need for anyone to change anything ^^.

Unless you remove the restrictions of some settings suggested in another thread, having game modes is just a help. Imagine having no idea what settings a server is running before joining it. Oh, this one does display DM, I don't want that.. time to head to another server.. oh, that one has it also on :/. Man this was annoying. Now that story does not sound very fun!

I think PC gaming has proven that one game mode as we speak of isn't enough. There is nothing more to it than that triple25mm.

Reactions: triple25mm
Upvote 0