• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG-34/42 iron sights shooting from standing, unsupported position?

Unrealistic implementation will cause unrealistic behaviour. If a realistic feature is included in a truly realistic way, then it will not.

I would support a possibility to use the machineguns from the hip and the shoulder.

And I doubt it would be that difficult compared to any other weapon. High recoil maybe in relation with the stamina. Extremly huge increase of sway already after the first second. Only firing it from the shoulder when standing without ANY movement (or only extremly slow).

There are many possibilities to get that as feature but prevent it from becoming a poor mans assault rifle. By the way certain assault rifles had pretty strong cardridges as well and have been known as effective weapons. The FG42 some kind of hybrid between a machinegun/rifle which could be fired in full automatic using a high powered rifle cardridge like used with the MG42. Or the Cetme and G3 which used the 7.62 NATO round (not as powerfull like the 7.98 but still) and both have been known to be very good assault rifles.

I mean it really all depends on the situation and how effective it is. No one wants to see people runing around with the machinegun using it like a Pa-pa-sha. But if some even use the 12mm KORD from the hip ... how hard can it be with the 7.98mm MG42 ?

YouTube - KORD 12,7 mm machine gun(Shooting a machine gun, standing)

Reactions: Krator
Upvote 0
mg42fun

Just pointing out, the grain and contrast on that photo doesn't look right for WWII era. My guess is it's a re-enactor.

Upvote 0
I cropped this from The World At War (chapter 9, Stalingrad). It looks impractical to use a mg34 like that. Obviously it's for propaganda purposes:

YouTube - MG-34 Hip Shooting

It's funny the part where the guy below the shooting mg34 turns back like saying: "Dude, wtf??"

Lol, well i think it's pretty scary having 600 rounds/min flying over your head. It does seem doable for suppressing fire, maybe getting a lucky shot or something. I think it should be in.

Upvote 0
Unrealistic implementation will cause unrealistic behaviour. If a realistic feature is included in a truly realistic way, then it will not.

There is a reason why machinegunners would not have used their MGs like SMGs or automatic rifles. If you can model those reasons in game, then players will have the same incentives to use their weapons properly.

Since MGs were heavy and more unwieldy than SMGs, giving them a significantly longer sight-in time and slower player movement would be effective means of preventing MGs from being used as offensive close quarters weapons unless the player was really desperate. You could also prevent players from walking while sighted (unlike other small arms).

I hope you are right. I can just see some players trying to act like Rambo though and using an mg as an smg when clearly they should not.

Upvote 0
both the mg34 and 42 used a drum magazine to stop the belt from flopping about when used in assaults.

Ammunition has the bad habit of weighting notably and it's far more easier to carry several drums when properly carried than similiar amount of bullets in a belt. Ammo boxes can solve the problem but odds for carrying those around as the gunner himself are pretty much nonexistant under IRL situation.

Drums are not some magical super assault machinegun Ahnuld devices as much as one might think, they're not really that much diffrent from any other magazine in terms of practical functionality.

Upvote 0

Many seem to not have watched the last minute of this video. That looks a heck of a lot easier to control than the MG-34 in Roost. Keep it realistic.

The thing is, it would be hard to move around quickly and you wouldn't be able to have it aimed ahead when moving through tight spaces most of the time. A SMG would be much faster, lighter and easier to maneuver than an MG in an urban environment. Also, given how fast you can deploy the MG's as seen in the videos I really doubt people will use the hip/shoulder fire with the MG's unless they absolutely have to.

Reactions: Boggs
Upvote 0
I hope you are right. I can just see some players trying to act like Rambo though and using an mg as an smg when clearly they should not.

There are ways how to prevent that. Now I played for a very long time the Firearms mod for HL1 which had a great number of machineguns available for the players including the M60, PKM, M249. And yet it was very rare that you would see people runing around with those weapons using them like machinepistols for the simple fact that the gameplay didnt allowed it. Even though the game was very arcade in its nature and had not much to do with realism except when thinking about the weapon animations which have been quite great for a mod in that time !

If you wanted to fire the weapon you had to STOP as it was not possible to fire it from the move.

I dont see any reason why a game like RO could not use similar limits. The MG34 can be fired from the hip already and I dont see people complaining about it beeing a "submachinegun". You can only move very slowly with it and it takes time to get in position to fire. So you will always have some disadvantage compared to submachineguns which can fire all the time even when they move. But to use the machinegun from the hip gives you the possibilty to defend your self.

Upvote 0
I think including hip shooting for MG-42 and MG-34 is ok. In Ostfront, hip shooting a MG-34 is a last resort CQB action and it's rarely seen(meaning it can't be exploited).

I never understood why MG-43 wasn't included in RO, I know it's really hard to control but include it for inclusions' sake :) Iron sights are a big no-no though.

Upvote 0
I definately think the mg42, mg34, dp28 and dt27 should be fireable from the shoulder, hip and kneeling position. For instance, some instances require the operator to be in a standing position to get a certain height advantage, i.e sometimes you cant rest your weapon an object, and sometimes with a hill you dont want to be deployed on the crest where you can also be hit, you want to maybe be kneeling where you can quickly back away. I honestly think that in real life combat during WW2 mgs probably where in a deployed position giving valuable covering fire to his comrades, however if the situation called for it im sure in an urban enviroment he would fire his weapon from the hip rather than wander around looking for an object to mount it on, by this time he would probably have a bullet in his head.

Sturm

Upvote 0
At the least the DP28 should be able to use the ironsights in an unsupported position.

It would help balance (realistically) the machineguns. I've seen some pictures of it being shot from the shoulder (either Korea or Vietnam War) but can not seem to find them.

Here is a video:
YouTube - DP-28 WiseLite Arms

Might not be the same as the original DP-28s and I doubt the shooter here is trained to use it, but you get the general idea. Full auto might be hard to control, but single shots or 2-3 bursts should be relatively controllable for the DP-28.

Bringing up your ironsights should be slow in game - slower than a rifle or SMG. Maybe slow down the walking speed a little bit. Weapon collision is already added into the game. If all this is implemented, not many people will use it shouldered and it won't be an effective weapon in door to door combat. But, you will be able to return somewhat accurate fire from the standing position in those rare cases when it is required.

Last edited:
Upvote 0