• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Compiled list of *good* suggestions from RO for ROHOS

I have to agree with almost every idea about tanks in this thread, there's so much more that can be done with them.

The main things I hope to see improved are
-Animations/movement. Too clunky in RO
-Melee combat, in RO it feels like your jabbing someone with a stick, there's much that can be improved for melee combat.

Upvote 0
*Repairs: Small vehicle repairs. Tracklinks, Gundamage, extinguish fires..
I suggest the crew exits, and 'use a repairbutton' while facing the damage perhaps for a number of seconds/minutes? Not to fast, but cant be 10+ minutes, lest the round'll be over or it would be in some cases faster to get a new tank. But around 1 minute app? maybe more/damage?
This would not repair the tank(colours), nor the engine(Large damage, meant for technicians), but small things: Fix a shattered track, repair a jammed gun or MG, Extinguish the fire, so that huge smokecolumn stops and doesnt betray your position to each enemy in the surroundings,...
This would expose the crew, but its that or ignore the damage. However on some occasions, you cannot ignore it.

All your other suggestions were good/very good. But repairing is not a good idea. Though extinguishingin fire is maybe possible. I really think that only thinkable thing would be german tank commander changing shattered armored glass of vision slits. (it is realistic and happened alot) Nothing more.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
some more ideas:
1)stamina should not be finished at one moment, i think sprint should beccame slower and slower but gradually
2)there should be ability to pickup and throw grenades away
3)fair way to go prone frome crouch
4)the game oriented to multiplayer , so graphics settigs should noot change gameplay. Settitngs like bloom, weather effects should be unable to turn off.
Also some objects like grass should be made in real 3d to prevent making them invizible by using high values of lod.

Upvote 0
My list:

• No instant tank position switching (while I do like solo tanking, it pretty much ruined team tanking for everyone and was totally unrealistic)
  • No incredibly bright tracers
  • Realistic recoil (no matter how long you hold down a trigger, a PPSh isn't going to make you point up at the sky)
  • Minor random weapon positioning during stance changes (so you can't bring up your sights, go from crouch to standing and take out a MGer)
  • Suppression and sniper scope graphics unchangeable. If you had to lower the these settings to play RO:OST, I doubt your PC could handle RO:HOS. Everyone should be playing with these game altering graphics being the same reguardless of their PC's configuration.
  • Sounds should be heard from realistic distances. Tanks should be easily heard from a kilometer away.
  • More accessable to modding.
  • Smaller free aim area or make it adjustable (not as much as ARMA though, like maybe a 25% difference between the max and min setting).
I could go on forever, but these are the big ones that I thought needed the most attention.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Foo'bar said:
Tank crew members beeing killed by armour penetrating bullets, without destroying the complete tank. Say a PTRD bullet penetrating turret should kill the tank commander sitting behind.
Assuming the PTRD can penetrate the armor yes (35mm@ 100m at 0 deg) if not you should not be able to magically kill crew without penetrating the armor.-You would not believe how many people think this is possible...

RedGuardist said:
All your other suggestions were good/very good. But repairing is not a good idea. Though extinguishingin fire is maybe possible. I really think that only thinkable thing would be german tank commander changing shattered armored glass of vision slits. (it is realistic and happened alot) Nothing more.

Shattered periscopes and driver's vision slits as well. German tanks usually had replacement Mg-34's in the later war it sometimes doubled as the commander's AA machine gun so you can't really repair it but you do have a spare as well as spare mg barrels in case any of the Mg's are broken in combat (or if barrel is over heated). Also there are various accounts where a tanks has been "de-tracked" (my ro term) yet the crew managed to fix it in the field and drive it back to friendly lines. I'm not suggesting this should be implemented however it would not be a bad implementation perhaps an incentive if you have a full crewed vehicle and of course very limited. For fires tanks did have fire extinguishers in them however they werent always full.

Hackel said:
Best tanks available for the Germans are the PzIV Ausf G and StuG Ausf F/8.
Yes, the Tiger I is unnecessary few were produced or even used in 1942 its more of a Kursk vehicle (which had the largest Tiger I deployment of the war).The Panzer IV's/Stug III armed with the 75mm L/43-L/48's will make short work of any Soviet tank, however they were not that common there were more SPG's armed with these powerful weapons such as the Marder series (which have poor armor). Also the Panzer III J/1 is quite good more than capable to hold is own against most Soviet armor (T-34 included).

Karl Ritter said:
*Fix the Tiger I, and maybe revise the entire penetration system. This tank, was a beast. Give us less on a map, and on less maps then, but as of now, its a joke.
Yeah in RO it pains me to see a crew go out of the spawn instantly die and respawn grab another Tiger and continue on their way leaving 5 or 6 Tiger wrecks .. both its battlefield survivablity and its availability on maps need some work if it is implemented in game 2.

I forgot 1 more thing about vehicles:

*The tank/vehicle should have to come to a complete STOP before you can bailout or board the tank- noone jumps out of a moving tank IRL its not possible.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Karl Ritter said:
*Fix the Tiger I, and maybe revise the entire penetration system. This tank, was a beast. Give us less on a map, and on less maps then, but as of now, its a joke.

The entire current tank system needs some realistic revising. I mean just look at the following examples:

The T 60 vs Panzer III L on RO-HedgeHog
The PTRD vs the KV1s on RO-Kryukovo
The BT 7 vs the Panzer IV F1 on RO-Vidzeme

In each case the T60 can penetrate the front armor of a Panzer III L
(which it should not be doing. The 20 mm cannon on the T60 cannot defeat 50-70 mm of armor even at point blank range.)

The PTRD can penetrate the front/side/rear armor of the KV1s (which it should not be doing. Even the weakest armor (60 mm rear) of the KV1s is almost double of what the PTRD can penetrate.)

The BT 7 can penetrate the front armor of the Panzer IV F1 and also the BT 7's incredibly thin armor can deflect the Panzer IV F1's AP round (which should not be happening. The BT 7's weapon could barely penetrate its own caliber (45 mm) at close range (about 100 m) where the Panzer IV F1 has 50 mm sloped at some number of degrees. The BT 7 had inadequate light armor (less than ~27 mm) where the Panzer IV F1's AP round could literally crush the BT 7. Its penetration properties meant it could penetrate the BT 7 up to at least 1,500 m or even greater.)

You mentioned the Tiger I. In real life even the side and rear armor posed problems for the soviet 76 mm weapons at close range. Tests say that 76 mm rounds failed to penetrate the 80 mm side of the Tiger I at 100 meters. Playing RO-Orel reveals that this isnt the case in this game where the T34/76 can penetrate the sides/rear of the Tiger I as far away as they can see and hit you.

Hackel said:
Best tanks available for the Germans are the PzIV Ausf G and StuG Ausf F/8.
If there are Stugs available in the next game then the DH Stug machine gun should be implemented on them.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My list:

• No instant tank position switching (while I do like solo tanking, it pretty much ruined team tanking for everyone and was totally unrealistic)
  • No incredibly bright tracers
  • Realistic recoil (no matter how long you hold down a trigger, a PPSh isn't going to make you point up at the sky)
  • Minor random weapon positioning during stance changes (so you can't bring up your sights, go from crouch to standing and take out a MGer)
  • Suppression and sniper scope graphics unchangeable. If you had to lower the these settings to play RO:OST, I doubt your PC could handle RO:HOS. Everyone should be playing with these game altering graphics being the same reguardless of their PC's configuration.
  • Sounds should be heard from realistic distances. Tanks should be easily heard from a kilometer away.
  • More accessable to modding.
  • Smaller free aim area or make it adjustable (not as much as ARMA though, like maybe a 25% difference between the max and min setting).
I could go on forever, but these are the big ones that I thought needed the most attention.

why worry about the sniper scope textures and suppression? If anything I wanted people to adjust this would be it. What I would lock is vegetation, 32bit color, weather, HDR Bloom. Not suppresion and the scope textures

Upvote 0
why worry about the sniper scope textures and suppression? If anything I wanted people to adjust this would be it. What I would lock is vegetation, 32bit color, weather, HDR Bloom. Not suppresion and the scope textures

HDR Bloom?
If they lock that (read: force it) then I will not buy the game, Bloom is the worst "invention" ever since computer games started!

Upvote 0
Be able to fold and un-fold weapon stock (mp-40 example) which looking at the screens, looks like you can do it.. just making sure though.

Be able to tripod your MG on another player while he is crouched(or bent over? who knows..), for example like DOD:S has the option to do if any of you know what I'm talking about.

Be able to duck for cover while mg is in the tripod position. This one has been suggested before, but suggesting it again :D

Upvote 0
Well I picked suppression because the lower graphics option (blacking of the screen) is basically no penalty at all compared with the higher graphics option (blurring of the screen). I picked the sniper scope because having three options was too much in my opinion. Granted, you did pick better ones, I should explained what I meant better.

Upvote 0
On the subject of smooth animation, vehicle enters and exits, while not so much tactical, would really up the cinematic feel. Like Halo, when you hit the enter vehicle key, it cuts to third person, but if they just kept it in first, it would be perfect. Then if they needed to have spot swapping, I could see something very Call of Duty 5-ish. On the Catalina, where you see almost the entire interior of the gunship. Like, one player might initiate it, and the receiving player would accept, and even though a tank may be sort of like a cramped box, it would still be cool to see everyone at their positions while both of you inch by each other while the gunfire rattles outside, and bullets ping off the hull.

I'm all for beautiful animation. While I didn't care too much for Call of Duty 4, the thing I liked the most about it was the way your allies (in single player) moved fluidly, like they were a part of their surroundings, while other games have character models that skate all over their backgrounds. This might be pretty tough to implement in a multiplayer game, I realise, but this can only add to the amazing immersive element of Red Orchestra.

And if this 64+ player limit comes through, Heroes could possibly be the best WW2 experience... ever. Imagine half a dozen or so tanks steamrolling across the countryside with the rest of the men marching on the ground. An artillery strike is called in, halting the advance, and AT weapons let loose. From those burning tanks, the tank commander (or any crew members who haven't been killed by the damage the tank has sustained.. and this could be all in first person) struggles to crawl out of the hatch, while you watch as the man falls over the side onto the ground, missing a leg and his uniform on fire. Or as another commander opens his hatch and smoke pours out of the hole as he tries to exit (smoke clogging up vision another feature, having to do with tank damage?), but he is shot by a sniper and slumps over the turret while the tank continues to roll forward, driverless.

What do you think?

Upvote 0
lol @ LemoN
Some more suggestions:

*I'd like to see the ablity for the Germans to "hook"their MP40's on the firing ports of the half-track (Sdkfz 251) and fire from them.
*Sdkfz-251 armor modeled as well as a better gun shield protection frontally - The Sdkfz 251 should be invulnerable to small arms fire as should all APCS.
*Winter camo for the Germans (this was widely used by the Germans even improvised with bed sheets when they weren't issued any -They also had recognition ("Green" as pictured below) arm bands were used on German variants:

postac1_6.jpg

*Soviet great coat
*Fallschirmj

Last edited:
Upvote 0