• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

So does this mean a Linux port?

RO2 is the only thing I rarely still boot into windows for.

That being said, if they port it they should do it well. I realize drivers on Linux aren't up to par with their Windows versions yet, but both Killing Floor and RO1 run horrendously on Linux for about everyone I've talked to.

Basically, please don't port it just to be able to say that it runs on Linux when in reality it's pretty much unplayable.

Upvote 0
That being said, if they port it they should do it well. I realize drivers on Linux aren't up to par with their Windows versions yet, but both Killing Floor and RO1 run horrendously on Linux for about everyone I've talked to.

Are you serious? Just yesterday I was playing KF on 1650x900 at all highest settings for an hour or two and it was running like a champ. It may be you only talk to people using AMD, but my NVS Optimus 5400M runs seamlessly. I haven't checked my FPS, but I'm guessing at least 40.

Upvote 0
RO2 is the only thing I rarely still boot into windows for.

Basically, please don't port it just to be able to say that it runs on Linux when in reality it's pretty much unplayable.
Same here. Tried running it with Wine but no luck so far. Although, technically it sort of works, albeit with 5 FPS on the lowest settings with no sound. Also menus don't work.

Upvote 0
I daresay I would really like some news on that development as I still feel sort of responsible for informing people since I originally poked the hornets nest in that regard with on Twitter: https://twitter.com/RammJaeger/status/284845942681788416

Now that we now it is coming details would be much appreciated.
Are you aiming for a Steam Machine focused release around the time those release or can we expect to see a desktop release before then?

If you are tired of individual people nagging you on forums any official statement made here will probably make it onto gamingonlinux.com which in the last year has crystallized itself as the goto Linux gaming news site which the grand majority of the target audience reads.

Upvote 0
It seems that these days RO2 can be made to run through Wine but for that you have to manually apply a workaround to get PB to install, have to use Steam in Wine as well which means you can't use the native version, have to settle with significant performance overhead and will never have an officially supported setup so if anything breaks you are completely out of luck. (Which can go as far as Diablo 3's anti cheat falsely identifying Wine as a cheat and mass banning Linux users.)

Seeing how justifiably cranky PC gamers get when they have bad ports with no key rebinding and lack of FOV sliders why would anyone expect Linux gamers ( that are just a subset of PC gamers) to settle for anything that isn't even native or supported.

Plus developers and publishers will never see the demand there is by Linux users if they constantly hide behind Wine.

But that isn't even the issue here as his Gibsness has confirmed that it's underway in the interview linked in the original post. The question is about the progress that has or hasn't been made since then.

Upvote 0
And Mare Nostrum was the first mod released on Steam wasn't it?

Negative; there were several Source mods before us (makes sense that the owners games would be the pilot projects for mod support in steam :] ).. we were however the first non-source mod.

(and really we just made a mod.. TWI did all the leg work to make it happen on Steam, so major props to them)

Upvote 0
Are you serious? Just yesterday I was playing KF on 1650x900 at all highest settings for an hour or two and it was running like a champ. It may be you only talk to people using AMD, but my NVS Optimus 5400M runs seamlessly. I haven't checked my FPS, but I'm guessing at least 40.

I've got an Nvidia card, and I've seen it. It really depends on the situation. Red Orchestra is great, but anything with a higher rendering load has some frame rate troughs. I particularly notice it on Darkest Hour and Killing Floor, but only on certain maps with large and detailed exterior areas. No issues on the Win D3D version at all.

I don't know if it's the port or just a quirk of OpenGL in those games. It annoys me enough in DH and KF that I play them in Windows.

Upvote 0
Negative; there were several Source mods before us (makes sense that the owners games would be the pilot projects for mod support in steam :] ).. we were however the first non-source mod.

(and really we just made a mod.. TWI did all the leg work to make it happen on Steam, so major props to them)

Is "In Country Vietnam" mod the catalyst for RO2 linux port?

Red Orchestra 3...
hmmm maybe Rising Storm could be considered as Red Orchestra 3?

I found this http://www.gamingonlinux.com/articl...ra-2-and-rising-storm-wont-come-to-linux.2021 which expands a bit more on what DerRidda linked to/mentions in https://twitter.com/RammJaeger/status/284845942681788416. Which goes some way to confirm linux port for RO2 is on the agenda and possible at least.

Last edited:
Upvote 0